IXLR8

Ed K Rogers Hauling, Grand Hauler

My first big rig.  It's still a work in progress.  It needs a driver figure, a sound and light system plus a few small details to be complete. 

The camera didn't pick it up but the paint is metallic.  The paint and clear didn't flow and level very well so the finish required a lot of extra effort.  Sanding and polishing around all those rivet heads was a right pain in the back side! 

P1011007.thumb.JPG.e526eff344359dfdd03004e5b0afa8b8.JPG

P1011009.thumb.JPG.b7a178a898b5b4d7a83de9f7bee76420.JPG

P1011015.thumb.JPG.1323afb5e815502e23e6f4815475265f.JPG

P1010997.thumb.JPG.331e479c8439536498d2e658de571571.JPG

P1011000.thumb.JPG.5975d8629991cd264fac057f2ea5b4d2.JPG

P1010996.thumb.JPG.81a3c63f8749e0e7f20f931da44df1f1.JPG

More to follow.  I have a flat bed trailer to build.:)

• Like 11

The deep metallic red suits the king hauler decals 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, berman said:

The deep metallic red suits the king hauler decals 👍

Thanks, I agree.

Inspiration came from a Honda CB750 I restored many years ago.

1099627775_P1010100(2).thumb.JPG.5daa7ff28525de40e522a75eb46ea9bc.JPG

• Like 4

7 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

Thanks, I agree.

Inspiration came from a Honda CB750 I restored many years ago.

1099627775_P1010100(2).thumb.JPG.5daa7ff28525de40e522a75eb46ea9bc.JPG

Oh wow, my dad had one of those back in the day! Think it was like a Sherwood green though?

I love it!! And the CB!!

I really like the idea of a stretched king hauler. I have a  King Hauler/Grand Hauler/Aeromax/Knight Hauler hybrid project. I filled the gap in the chassis with a tool box from Knight Hauler/Aeromax parts.

20220801_161744.jpg

20220801_161715.jpg

20220801_161636.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kenny G said:

I love it!! And the CB!!

I really like the idea of a stretched king hauler. I have a  King Hauler/Grand Hauler/Aeromax/Knight Hauler hybrid project. I filled the gap in the chassis with a tool box from Knight Hauler/Aeromax parts.

Thanks!  Your truck looks amazing.  There are a few things I don't like about the Grand Hauler and you appear to have addressed all of them.  Good job!!

I agree about the huge gap between the tank and fender - it just doesn't look scale accurate to me.  However, adding a tool box to fill that space is an excellent solution.

Also, I want to add faux hub/wheel nut covers so I've been tinkering with a design that was inspired by this image.

1129760564_rearhubs.thumb.jpg.a39add80083fb98e3dbb43bd72d7eacb.jpg

A bit more tinkering and I think it will be ready to send to Shapeways.  The covers will simply press over the nut or I could add a drop of Shoe Goo to hold them in place.

2070728784_fauxhubs.thumb.jpg.24e8a450e65b66dbfa6f45cc87b9229e.jpg

This type of build just never ends, does it.  There's always something to add or change.  :)

• Like 2

Wow! The color on this longer chassis pops. Love it. Good job. I've got a Matte Black one to build and a standard kit that will be box art. The King Hauler decals look good though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RC4x4 said:

Wow! The color on this longer chassis pops. Love it. Good job. I've got a Matte Black one to build and a standard kit that will be box art. The King Hauler decals look good though.

Thanks!  I have to agree, the King Hauler decals do look good on this truck. 

Besides, I'm terrible at selecting colors and creating graphic design so I tend to go with what's available - it's just easier that way.

Are you planning to post your trucks here on TC?  I'm interested in seeing what you do with the matte black one.

11 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

Thanks!  I have to agree, the King Hauler decals do look good on this truck. 

Besides, I'm terrible at selecting colors and creating graphic design so I tend to go with what's available - it's just easier that way.

Are you planning to post your trucks here on TC?  I'm interested in seeing what you do with the matte black one.

Hey. Yeah I'll be starting on it soon. Just finishing up a Black King Hauler. I'm doing my own light kit on it just didn't want the sound system. I have a Knight Hauler with sound. Got a Tanker and Semi Trailer to build as well. I'm gonna be busy. These trucks are so fun to build. I'll post some when I get it going.

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2022 at 9:56 AM, RC4x4 said:

Hey. Yeah I'll be starting on it soon. Just finishing up a Black King Hauler. I'm doing my own light kit on it just didn't want the sound system. I have a Knight Hauler with sound. Got a Tanker and Semi Trailer to build as well. I'm gonna be busy. These trucks are so fun to build. I'll post some when I get it going.

YOU CAN'T OWN JUST ONE!!

I enjoy building them more than driving them also. (they are both fun) No limit to what you can create. (except your budget and time)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IXLR8 - Your King Hauler looks great!! Even the the black around the front window. That part always scares me after the paint is done.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

IXLR8 - Your King Hauler looks great!! Even the the black around the front window. That part always scares me after the paint is done.

Thank you sir!!

I also paint the window moldings after all exterior paint work is finished and I reckon this is how many of us do it.  In this instance, several weeks had passed before I got around to painting the window molding and other details so the exterior paint had plenty of time to fully cure.

For the window molding, I cover the area to be painted entirely with masking tape, then use a ball point pen to mark the edge of the raised part of the molding, carefully use a sharp x-acto to cut the tape along the line, and finally remove the tape to reveal the molding to be painted.  Next I mask the entire body exterior so I can paint the interior along with the window moldings - Krylon enamel flat black in this instance.

This technique is relatively stress free and I haven't had any major mishaps but if paint were to leak under the tape, I can remove it using ordinary oil-based paint thinner (not lacquer thinner) while the new paint is still soft.  Since oil-based thinner won't dissolve the Duplicolor acrylic lacquer paint used on the body exterior, it's good for general cleanup of any enamel paint overspray or masking tape adhesive that might have gotten left behind. 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 1:13 AM, IXLR8 said:

Thanks!  Your truck looks amazing.  There are a few things I don't like about the Grand Hauler and you appear to have addressed all of them.  Good job!!

I agree about the huge gap between the tank and fender - it just doesn't look scale accurate to me.  However, adding a tool box to fill that space is an excellent solution.

Also, I want to add faux hub/wheel nut covers so I've been tinkering with a design that was inspired by this image.

1129760564_rearhubs.thumb.jpg.a39add80083fb98e3dbb43bd72d7eacb.jpg

A bit more tinkering and I think it will be ready to send to Shapeways.  The covers will simply press over the nut or I could add a drop of Shoe Goo to hold them in place.

2070728784_fauxhubs.thumb.jpg.24e8a450e65b66dbfa6f45cc87b9229e.jpg

This type of build just never ends, does it.  There's always something to add or change.  :)

There are companies than do press on hubs, and screw on ones (I have both styles), and even Tamiya do their own ones, but that's cool that you are designing your own! They certainly make the wheels pop!

• Thanks 1

As far as scale hubs, i found these, haven't printed them yet, but hope to within the next two weeks:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3967157

i need to print 10 of the trailer hubs, and 6 of the truck hubs for all the tamiya wheels on my two trucks.   I am trying to decide if i want to do the spiders for 6 trailer wheels.  I will print them, if i don't like them, i don't need to keep them.

I will let you guys know how well they work out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2022 at 3:16 PM, tim.senecal said:

As far as scale hubs, i found these, haven't printed them yet, but hope to within the next two weeks:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3967157

i need to print 10 of the trailer hubs, and 6 of the truck hubs for all the tamiya wheels on my two trucks.   I am trying to decide if i want to do the spiders for 6 trailer wheels.  I will print them, if i don't like them, i don't need to keep them.

I will let you guys know how well they work out.

Thanks Tim.  Those wheel inserts look amazing!  Very much looking forward to reading about how these have worked for you.

• Like 1

I know, you can't just own one. I do have several others and trailers. MCI will bring out the Grand Hauler decals and so I will wait so I can get them in grey and a matte finish.  Will be cool. I have a standard kit too that will be box art. Tamiya always makes them look good. I do have some cars/trucks that are non box art. I'll get up some pic's as soon as I wrap up my Black Edition King Hauler. Just busy.

• Like 1

Well, the flat bed trailer is finished.  Box stock, nothing special.

I just need to install some lights and have some PVC pipe cut to length to act as a payload.

P1011011.thumb.JPG.a132feeaa5d5b9b0081def9c69ce0b7a.JPG

P1011015.thumb.JPG.e1365eea4c2c31ec6cf437e0e6e0cb66.JPG

P1011019.thumb.JPG.ce664d26bcbabeb98e9ed788c35596d6.JPG

P1011022.thumb.JPG.b3508926519b1558f30b8ac16bbaf14a.JPG

• Like 7

Thanks Kurt!!

The Tanker Trailer is finished except for lights.

P1011002.thumb.JPG.69aedb2f55b5bb92d4e98b9c9e6a23d4.JPG

P1011000.thumb.JPG.6963f0fd51a593d71e566a3d6eac4a95.JPG

P1011006.thumb.JPG.489315215b9f26446a75324021d83ef1.JPG

572807553_P1011008(2).thumb.JPG.a04be2254b30e03a5ca5c9419dc9804e.JPG

Only one thing remains; the sound and lighting system.  :)

• Like 6

The trailers look good. I'm getting ready to build a new tanker and semi trailer. I used to have the Shell tanker but sold it. Should have kept it. The Grand Hauler is getting close to being built. Finishing the Black King Hauler soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Geez that red is spectacular with the Tanker 👍🏻

I'm also a bit partial to tankers as I spend a lot of time in them. It used to be red with silver trailers but with a recent name change its now white. Not easy to keep as shiny as yours though where we go sometimes 😉

wZHtdH2DRM2pQosv4F3Fg.md.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RC4x4 said:

The trailers look good. I'm getting ready to build a new tanker and semi trailer. I used to have the Shell tanker but sold it. Should have kept it. The Grand Hauler is getting close to being built. Finishing the Black King Hauler soon.

Thanks!!

MCI offers the Shell livery should you want re-create the tanker you sold.

https://mciracing.ca/products/1-14th-tam-shell-tanker-decals