Sign in to follow this  
A-Baum

VQS hi-cap instruction help

Hey folks, cranking out the VQS hi cap this morning. Instructions are a little unclear to me. Specifically on the front dampers. Inside the cylinder they want you to put a 5.5x1.5mm spacer. Outside the cylinder on the piston rod they want a shaft guide and the o-ring.  

is the shaft guide a white plastic 'bearing' looking piece? And is the spacer a metal spacer?  Or is it the other way around? There's no spacers on the plastic parts trees. 

in the pic, the plastic piece is on the left, metal piece on the right. I don't see anywhere else the metal spacer is being used. But it seems odd to have a metal piece inside the cylinder. But....this is my first Tamiya aftermarket shocks. Thanks!

3CEF12EA-0DD4-46E3-8C85-30C20F36851E.jpeg

919A99D1-A479-42ED-8F4C-751D6D4E10EF.jpeg

It looks to me that L is the spacer and R is the shaft guide. Look carefully at the drawings, the spacer is "smooth" while the guide has a "ring". 

@A-Baum Yes, the shaft guide does look like a small plastic bushing and the spacer is an aluminum collar. 

I don't know what those pink colored rings you show in the first picture are.. are your dampers second hand?

16 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@A-Baum Yes, the shaft guide does look like a small plastic bushing and the spacer is an aluminum collar. 

I don't know what those pink colored rings you show in the first picture are.. are your dampers second hand?

Brand new kit of hi-caps. They aren't pink, not sure why the pic came out like that.  And oddly enough the piece on the left has the 'rings' like the shaft guide while the space doesn't.  My iphone hates taking close ups.  Got it sorted though, thanks folks!

I'm sorry to hijack a solved thread but it's related to VQS damper. Just quick question about VQS damper: what length are they (front and rear)? Yes I can measure mine but I don't know what point is to measure (or when it is sprung or unsprung etc).

12 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Thanks, but my problem is opposite of the thread, I broke my (standard yellow) VQS damper and in case I can't find hi-cap or even DF-03 set that the manual suggested I want to know the "official" length of VQS damper front and rear to look up for 3rd party option. Is Is my estimate 60 mm front and 90 mm rear correct?

EDIT: Thankfully I found someone who has standard yellow damper to sell. For future reference if anyone has same question and stumbling upon this thread, the seller listed them as 65 mm front and 85 mm rear

Edited by Gabranth
updated info