alvinlwh

Will a CC be any good for me?

Cool, I've got the printer going just now or I'd just nip over. I'll shout ya some evening this week and we can take it down to the palaces or something

• Like 1

I put sand scorcher tires on an MF01x for a decent off roader with a little speed. It's more composed than my GF01 for sure, and the larger tires really help. It can go down to a 13T pinion so the torque is there. I really like my GF01s, but the MF01x is a better drive.

Not sure what body you'd use however.

• Like 1

Not much to add to what's already been said, but a CC-01 is a fun and interesting little guy.

My G6-01 has been a really fun and reliable basher, and based on how many people have enjoyed driving it, one that appeals to a wide variety of folks. Mine has a 10.5 and a few other spicy bits, mostly for looks. Stock tires are just right, too. I like it enough that it's one of my most frequent runners, probably in the top 5, and ahead of several much more capable vehicles.

49 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

I put sand scorcher tires on an MF01x for a decent off roader with a little speed. It's more composed than my GF01 for sure, and the larger tires really help. It can go down to a 13T pinion so the torque is there. I really like my GF01s, but the MF01x is a better drive.

I already have a M-05Ra, the MF-01X is somewhat similar, no? Also got too many M-chassis type in my collection already, looking to explore something different. 

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

I already have a M-05Ra, the MF-01X is somewhat similar, no? Also got too many M-chassis type in my collection already, looking to explore something different. 

Well it's 4x4 so has the ability to do more off road. However I would go for the CC01 if you've had a few m chassis.

49 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Well it's 4x4 so has the ability to do more off road. However I would go for the CC01 if you've had a few m chassis.

Most of the time, it will run on nothing worse than a football field doing this. 

So it will need to be faster than him. 

A few times a year, I will take it to this. 

ECqAAgF.jpg

Not quite crawler territory but will definitely get a M-05Ra (and perhaps a MF-01X?) hung up.

I took a Thunder Dragon and a TT-01(Ra) out there and while they run, they got hung up often that is why I am looking for something else now. 

My vote is the good old Blackfoot. Cheap and easy and with big tires that can handle all your posted needs at speed. Get the Xeostar transmission brace.

• Like 2

@alvinlwh, where’s the tyre swing at? That looks like Binscarth but no been there before. Looks like ripe MT bashing territory;)

4 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

My vote is the good old Blackfoot. Cheap and easy and with big tires that can handle all your posted needs at speed. Get the Xeostar transmission brace.

Problem with that is I am about to hit buy on a Frog (similar ORV chassis?) and it is too like a Lunchbox which I already have. The "too like" problem is more with the wife who will go "why you get something you already have?". 

7 minutes ago, ad456 said:

@alvinlwh, where’s the tyre swing at? That looks like Binscarth but no been there before. Looks like ripe MT bashing territory;)

It is indeed!

I do wonder if the MTX-1 is enough and I don't actually need another car, but it will only be ready for runs next year. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Problem with that is I am about to hit buy on a Frog (similar ORV chassis?) and it is too like a Lunchbox which I already have. The "too like" problem is more with the wife who will go "why you get something you already have?". 

I wouldn't say Blackfoot is anywhere close to Lunchbox in terms of handling and speed. The Blackfoot is a whole different experience, especially with more power.

7 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

I wouldn't say Blackfoot is anywhere close to Lunchbox in terms of handling and speed. The Blackfoot is a whole different experience, especially with more power.

While what you say maybe true, but to a woman, they look too similar and the wife will go into a fit if I buy the "same" thing again. 

18 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

Also, just quickly watched a build video of the Blackfoot, very similar to a Frog which I am about to hit buy on, so a no-no. 

24 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Also, just quickly watched a build video of the Blackfoot, very similar to a Frog which I am about to hit buy on, so a no-no. 

Yes the chassis are nearly identical except a few details, but the truck body and those big wheels makes a big difference!

42 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

While what you say maybe true, but to a woman, they look too similar and the wife will go into a fit if I buy the "same" thing again. 

Just explain it as "variations on a theme" so you get a different driving experience with each iteration. And don't forget to mention spare parts... there's a lot the same for both chassis, so spare parts for one are spare parts for the other. That's my justification for having a Frog, Brat, and what's left of a Mud Blaster (all the same chassis, all set up to drive completely differently). This also works for my Grasshopper, GH2, and 2 Hornets (although the GH2 is hers). Interchangeability aplenty!

34 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

When you by one, you also buy the other.  Its just a matter of changing out the body (and mounts), tires, and some gearing.

You could buy the Frog (fun!), modify it into a Blackfoot (more fun!), and then modify it to take the LB body (even more fun!), then you get the best of all three!

Terry

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

Just explain it as "variations on a theme" so you get a different driving experience with each iteration.

Explain driving experience to a woman? 🤣 Tried that, gave up. 

19 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

When you by one, you also buy the other.  Its just a matter of changing out the body (and mounts), tires, and some gearing.

You could buy the Frog (fun!), modify it into a Blackfoot (more fun!), and then modify it to take the LB body (even more fun!), then you get the best of all three!

Now that is a plan. 

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2022 at 11:07 AM, Willy iine said:

Honestly for me, CC01 is all about realistic driving.  The slow crawling LandCruiser is enjoyable to drive and watch going over rough terrain very slowly...

For me, CC01 should go slow to very slow for realistic driving..and it takes practice to drive realistically.  Have fun with your choice!  

On 7/31/2022 at 11:08 AM, No Slack said:

A CC-chassis opens new "doors" of RC driving. You can take it anywhere for a relaxing drive. As the name says: Cross Country.

On 7/31/2022 at 3:27 PM, Mad Ax said:

Interesting question.  I have a fleet of CC01s and I love them for what they are - realistic scale trucks that can trail very well, if by trail I mean "drive along footpaths in the woods."  If you want a walking companion, they're brilliant.  I run mine on 55T brushed motors, but you could go lower for more speed....

...I mostly love them for how they look, and how they move when driven appropriately.  They're a good introduction into crawling, although I wouldn't call them crawlers.  "Scale trail trucks" is as good as I can put it. 

I think these three ^^^ have it nailed.  

I built a CC01 Toureg when it came out, and it was just kinda... akward.  It looked cool, but seemed a bit too quick for itself.  Eventually I dropped the silver can for a 35t motor, upgraded the steering, locked the rear diff and tried again.  At slower speeds it was GREAT.  The 35t meant you could still zip around pretty well, but it has WAY better slow speed control and torque.  Eventually I added stickier tires and waterproofed the electronics and it quickly became one of my favorite RC's.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

I built a CC01 Toureg when it came out, and it was just kinda... akward.  It looked cool, but seemed a bit too quick for itself. 

Right, looks like the CC is not suitable for me. Time to look elsewhere. 

• Like 2

GF01 could have lots of fun there. Less wheelie prone than the WR02 and big 115 mm wheels with 4x4 mean they can get over rough bits with ease. 

Will be faster than a child!

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

GF01 could have lots of fun there. Less wheelie prone than the WR02 and big 115 mm wheels with 4x4 mean they can get over rough bits with ease. 

Will be faster than a child!

Yes, the GF-01x (and related G6-01) are part of my shortlist as stated in my OP. I wonder if the TR will be even better but it seems that member seems to have one? I tried looking up the TR reducer hubs parts but it seems that no one seems to sell them if not I can maybe convert any GF-01s or G6s to TR. 

I was going to post about worrying about loads on the portals with brushless but did a little searching and came across this

If I didn't have so many Dual Hunters, I would have a Konghead or Dynahead by now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I was going to post about worrying about loads on the portals with brushless but did a little searching and came across this

If I didn't have so many Dual Hunters, I would have a Konghead or Dynahead by now.

I don't have any Dual Hunters, but I do have a Twin Detonator and a Wild Dagger that are basically the same thing with different body shells. I find them sufficiently different to my G6-01 SWAT APC to make it worthwhile having all 3. So don't let your Dual Hunters stand in the way of getting a Konghead or Dynahead. I am sure it will add an extra dimension to your enjoyment of the hobby.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, seems like the CC is not for what I want it for now. The reason for posting this thread is to ask if the CC can do what I want, not a debate on how it should be used (sorry @Willy iine no hard feelings!).

The MTX-1 will probably meet my needs and I will not need another truck after all. However, this does not mean I will not get a CC if the deal is still there in the future, just to round out my collection. Just that it will probably not be used too much. 

So thanks again! 

19 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

The "too like" problem is more with the wife who will go "why you get something you already have?". 

My original Pajero MTW played a starrring role in our marriage proposal. 

At rough count, probably another dozen CC01s have snuck thru the door since then. :ph34r:

But only 1 SWMBO ^_^