alvinlwh

Will a CC be any good for me?

While browsing, I cam across a CC-01 that is within my price bracket. I am wondering if it will be any good for me? I do not do any proper crawling, just general bashing across the football field and general bashing. Will a GF-01x or even G6-01 serve me better? 

A slightly different question is, what happens if I put a faster motor into a crawler chassis like the CC or one of the xTR? Will it be stupid to do so? 

Cc01 can be made to run ok up to 25/30km/h assuming it has a polycarbonate shell not a pvc one (pvc tend to be top heavy so crap handling at speed) avoid using ultra grippy tyres. (Most stock cc01 tyres are fine) you’ll also want to be in the longer chassis setting and the right body to suit.

g601 is pretty decent up to 40km/h or so as long as you don’t put grippy tyres on it, stock wheels and tyres are best option. it’s even better chassis if you do a wide arm conversion with df01 arms (mantaray/top force arms) I really love my ultra wide converted g601 it’s loads of fun and handling is pretty decent. 

the gf01 is really a wheelie chassis. Fast is never going to be a good idea. Never ending cartwheels. 

a DT03 with a 4000kv sensorless brushless is a total riot, especially with paddle tyres at the beach so don’t count that out. The gearbox can take a lot of abuse power wise, but you can break the rear arm mounts if you do too many high speed tyre to tyre cartwheels but overall pretty tough little beast. 

DT02 I don’t really rate as a basher, the short wheelbase makes it a handful at higher speeds and on rough terrain. But its decently tough. 

A df01 (top force, manta ray) is a half decent rig, they handle nice but without a option for a slipper clutch the transmission can struggle under moderately high brushless power, particularly in high traction situations. (I built a sand running manta ray with paddles all round but the transmission couldn’t handle it despite me using every trick in the book. ) 

I get the feeling your keen on a tamiya, and I welcome that. Good luck 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Juls1 thanks. Gives me plenty to think about.

I already have a DT-02 (it is mad with a 550 15T!) so will not be looking into the DT series although the DT-03 is dirt cheap ATM. Same with the DF, I got a DF-02 coming in. Also have a TT-01E hacked to rally specs. Also got a LRP Twister Buggy coming in this week. 

Truth be told, I am not that much of a fan of buggies, but that is another long story (and why I have so many buggies?!?! 😁). I like RC cars based on real cars, that's why I got interested in the CC-01 when my search turned it up within my budget. However my wife was watching YouTube with me yesterday and said she like the Big Yellow (G6-01). I just finished a WR-02CB and really liked it, that is why I am looking at the GF-01x series. Same but 4WD. Saw another YouTube video that the GF-01TR can both wheelie and crawl. 

I am not looking for fast "fast" with this, just not slow "slow", if it makes sense. I realised that I can never go that fast in the grass field anyway. Smoked a motor or two in the DT-02 and Thunder Dragon trying to do that. For fast, I will do on my road cars. 

I think a CC-01 would be a great choice then. One of the criticisms levelled at it by the scaler/crawler crowd is that it is a bit too fast for crawling. In other words, better suited to what you are looking for. 😀

• Like 2

I have a LandCruiser black edition and a Pajero black edition CC01's.  The LandCruiser is setup to do mild crawling with locked diff, but the street car looking Pajero runs open diff and more like a slow day to day street car. 

Honestly for me, CC01 is all about realistic driving.  The slow crawling LandCruiser is enjoyable to drive and watch going over rough terrain very slowly,  but the Pajero is like what the heck am I supposed to do with this car..? .. it's not set up for off-road, it's not set up for any fast on road driving..just casual street driving?  :blink:

For me, CC01 should go slow to very slow for realistic driving..and it takes practice to drive realistically.  Have fun with your choice!  

• Like 1

A CC-chassis opens new "doors" of RC driving. You can take it anywhere for a relaxing drive. As the name says: Cross Country.

• Like 1

One of the early CC01 chassis’s was a rallye raid Toureag I believe. It was never designed as a crawler it’s more of a trail runner. I think as others have said with a PC body it could be fun as a basher. Maybe putty the diffs a little but don’t lock them then head for the hills!!!

• Thanks 1

I have taken CC01s to the racetrack :) pretty fun at speed (SportTuned is nice) - handles like a AWD SUV on the highway :lol:

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, lots for me to think about. I got a MTX-1 incoming too and I think the G6-01 or GF-01TR will be closer to a that one (monster track) than a CC (trail truck)? So if I am looking for a different class, a CC will be it. However the wife mentioned she like the Big Yellow... 🙄

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

I have taken CC01s to the racetrack :) pretty fun at speed (SportTuned is nice) - handles like a AWD SUV on the highway :lol:

Exactly what I am wondering about. Typical crawler motors will be 35T? 12k rpm for the CR Tuned. A ST is 6k more than it and if it runs OK for you, good enough for me. 

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

One of the early CC01 chassis’s was a rallye raid Toureag I believe. It was never designed as a crawler it’s more of a trail runner. I think as others have said with a PC body it could be fun as a basher. Maybe putty the diffs a little but don’t lock them then head for the hills!!!

You know me very well! 😁 If I do get a CC, will ask you again what the putty a little means. 

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

For me, CC01 should go slow to very slow for realistic driving..and it takes practice to drive realistically.

Realistically??? Me? My Toyota bB will be doing 400mph in 1:1 speed! 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Realistically??? Me? My Toyota bB will be doing 400mph in 1:1 speed! 😂

Well, I meant it the other way... bB's realistic scale speed should be less than 10mph.. I would try driving your car much slower and much more smoothly as if you were driving a real bB.  You many need to get a 1060 or something equivalent with lots of modulation.  If you can feel enjoyment (or fulfillment) at those speeds, then I think the CC will suit you very well.  I've seen videos of some folks driving the CC01 bouncing around all over the place over coarse terrain .. to me that does not look realistic at all and completely missing the point of the CC01's driving experience.  

If you want to go faster and wild, then your other candidate, GF01, will be a much better car..  I don't think the CC01 is for everyone.. but again, this is just my opinion.  I personally like my LandCruiser a lot for scale driving.  I don't think I ever drive the car faster than 6-7mph.. I run a 55 turn or something and rarely hit full throttle.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Well, I meant it the other way... bB's realistic scale speed should be less than 10mph.. I would try driving your car much slower and much more smoothly as if you were driving a real bB.  You many need to get a 1060 or something equivalent with lots of modulation.

Really? What is the fun in that? 😂 I do have a 1060 in it, and two motors wired up to it. 😁 Nothing like a real bB at all! 

Now, I don't think a heavy dump truck pulling a wheelie is realistic at all but it sure is fun! 🤣

31 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

If you want to go faster and wild, then your other candidate, GF01, will be a much better car..  I don't think the CC01 is for everyone.. but again, this is just my opinion.  I personally like my LandCruiser a lot for scale driving.  I don't think I ever drive the car faster than 6-7mph.. I run a 55 turn or something and rarely hit full throttle.

Agreed. At higher speeds, the GF01 is more suited. I tried the CC01 myself and it was not for me. Driving it fast was frustrating like the TA-02T trucks. On something fairly smooth like a ball diamond maybe, but not in my bumpy backyard. It kinda bounced all over the place which wrecked the one thing it had going for it...its scale appearance. I really needed a 2.2 tire rig to handle the trail riding I did so I wound up selling it. I've noticed my attention slips and my eyes go out of focus when I trail ride anyway, lol. Like the TA-02T trucks, I don't feel they have the sheer size and suspension to tackle bumpy terrain at speed like a Slash.

• Like 2

Right GF-01x or G6-01 it is then. Maybe a GF-01TR that can both wheelie and crawl. 

Interesting question.  I have a fleet of CC01s and I love them for what they are - realistic scale trucks that can trail very well, if by trail I mean "drive along footpaths in the woods."  If you want a walking companion, they're brilliant.  I run mine on 55T brushed motors, but you could go lower for more speed.  I've variously considered installing something like a Sport Tuned and building a more rally-raid inspired truck, but as @Saito2 points out they don't really have the suspension to handle bumps, so it would need to be driven very sympathetically.

I mostly love them for how they look, and how they move when driven appropriately.  They're a good introduction into crawling, although I wouldn't call them crawlers.  "Scale trail trucks" is as good as I can put it.  The Landcruiser, Pajero, Landfreeder (Ranger), Land Rover are all good-looking bodies (although the oldskool LC and the LR90 technically have the wrong axles under them).  And how could I forget the Jeep Wrangler?  OK, wrong axle again, but still a fab looking body.  I really should have one of those.

If you wanted more speed then I'd choose the G6-01 over the GF-01.  Disclosure: I don't have a GF-01, but I'm sceptical of anyone who says you can crawl it.  If it's weighted for doing wheelies, it's not weighted for crawling.  But maybe I'm wrong there.  Like I say, I don't have one.  I know people crawl the G6-01 (especially with the portals and proper tyres) but IMO its true place is as a basher.  If you want to go crawling, buy a crawler - there's so much choice on the market right now it would be rude not to.

I absolutely, totally, completely love how my G6-01 runs.  Even with a modded hardbody, I don't have too much trouble with it rolling over.  Again, it's about sympathetic driving - I don't go flat out and then expect it to turn.  Yes, you can fit wider arms if you want to, plenty of people do, personally I prefer the look of the narrower stance.  I've run mine with a 5200Kv setup (on 2S), driven it hard and not broken a single thing yet.  OK, I avoided jumping it off a ramp set against a scrap car earlier this year, which all the Arrma and Traxxas boys were using, because it's not an Arrma or a Traxxas and because I'm not quite that daft.  I'll jump it off the 12" kicker in my garden, but only at part-throttle because I don't want it laminated against my workshop wall.

You say you've got an MTX-1 on order too?  I love mine.  You'll want to cut some foams for the tyres, but otherwise it's a fantastic rig.  If I had to pick my two favourite bashers for 2022, it would be the MTX-1 and the G6-01, because both are small enough to run in my back garden and both are fast, robust and nice to drive in smaller areas.  But, let loose in a dry quarry bed, both kept up with and bashed alongside some Arrma and Traxxas cars (and got plenty of "what the heck is that?"s too) even if I wasn't doing the big jumps.

Sometimes it's hard to recommend these niche Tamiyas when you know how flawed they are under the marketing blurb, but also, it's hard not to recommend them when you know how much fun they can be.

• Like 2

@Mad Ax like I said, I am browsing (don't we all do that?) when I came across this CC-01 and am just exploring my options. I actually don't think I have much locations that I have opportunities to crawl properly. It will take an effort to go out to a crawling location, which means only a few times (<5?) a year, so a proper crawler will probably be wasted on me. OK, perhaps I was a little unclear on my wants/needs, go with me across fields when I do go out for the rare walks, cross dead leaves and branches, and, most importantly, be able to go faster than a running kid (<10yo).

The GF-01TR I am interested in has the reduction gears so it can crawl somewhat yet able to pull wheelies. (NOTE: I might have gotten trailing and crawling mixed up?) 

The MTX-1 had actually arrived, on the wrong side of the world. I just need to go and get it. 

hd4OWs6.jpg

I recall you were asking about the motor for it, what did you eventually go for? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I realised that I can never go that fast in the grass field anyway. Smoked a motor or two in the DT-02 and Thunder Dragon trying to do that. For fast, I will do on my road cars. 

Well, you *can* go fast in a grass field, but you'd probably need a non-Tamiya vehicle to do it. Here's some inspiration if you need it (based on a vehicle that is pricey but otherwise easy to get - and setting the link below aside, you don't need to do much more than build it per the manual to get astonishing performance).

https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/my-slow-truggy.176/

2 minutes ago, smirk-racing said:

Well, you *can* go fast in a grass field, but you'd probably need to get a non-Tamiya vehicle. Here's some inspiration if you need it.

https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/my-slow-truggy.176/

Yes, I am about to receive a LRP Twister Buggy this week and apparently it is good for 8.5T. I am starting on a 13.5T first to see how it goes. 

Seems to me your heart is set on the cc01, owning gf01cb and Wr02cb I can say they are pretty hopeless at anything but medium slow speeds and doing wheelies. They are completely and totally useless as a crawler, mostly because they cannot climb mild inclines. 

I have 4 cc01’s and never set one up for higher speed but the idea has crossed my mind but the lack of available Touareg bodys kinda killed that enthusiasm. 

if I was to set one up for faster driving I’d have to design some sway bars for front and rear. The 4 link rear end and the linear rate ifs tends to want to dive into the corner at speed, hence you’ll need slippery tyres to not be upside down all the time.

I also own a Traxxas udr which being the same layout actually similarly suffers in that the tyres need to be hard and slippery or the car doesn’t work. I bought aftermarket proline tyres for my udr only to discover they where rock hard just like the factory tyres. And for good reason.

you can certainly use the cc01 for in between driving but I wouldn’t go much further than maybe a sport tuned motor. Cc01 is at its best trail driving as a walking companion on single track paths, I’ve spent 100’s of hours doing just that with cc01’s, and it’s probably the most fun I’ve had with any tamiya full stop, I generally run 45-55T motors (or 20t 5 poles) and top speed is probably a very fast walk to a mild running speed which is perfect for my heavily lifted trail driving setup. 

the g6-01 can be a lot of fun, I really love mine. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I recall you were asking about the motor for it, what did you eventually go for? 

I put in a 4000Kv brushless combo from Turnigy.  I'm probably going to replace the brushed setup in my SMT10 with the same combo, it's a nice system with plenty of speed for larger areas but lots of response in smaller places too.  I loved bashing it around in my garden on half throttle the other week.

I'd actually forgotten about the GF-01TR version.  While I've never seen one in the flesh, I expect it'll work well on similar terrain and with similar driving style to a CC-01.  It seems too top-heavy to be much good once you're into inclines.  But don't take my word for it - somebody here must have tried one.

With something like a sports tuned, the CC01 will probably hustle along at a fair pace on the paths, but you'd have to watch the corners.  It should still be able to handle the trails once things get rougher, just with a bit less torque at lower speeds.  It's hard to say if it's the right thing for you or not, though.  Personally I think every Tamiya fan should own (or have owned) a CC01 because its such an iconic chassis, but they are one of those chassis that can do a lot but is compromised in every area unless you mod it to be more specific.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Juls1 said:

Seems to me your heart is set on the cc01, owning gf01cb and Wr02cb I can say they are pretty hopeless at anything but medium slow speeds and doing wheelies. They are completely and totally useless as a crawler, mostly because they cannot climb mild inclines. 

Oh no, I am actually shifting away from the CC-01 now that I discovered how much masking is needed for the Hilux body. While I can mask (did plenty of static models), I really cannot be bothered to mask PC bodies too much as I built em', crash em' and trash em'. 

I think there is a mistaken belief that I am looking for a crawler, I am not as stated in my OP. I do not have anywhere convenient to crawl. Generally bashing is what I do, and I am looking for one that can handle rougher ground than my DT-02 and Thunder Dragon. 

I know most crawler uses 35T up motors, that is why I asked in the OP what happens if I put a faster motor in a CC. Seems like it will not be too good for it so I'll probably look elsewhere. 

Don't get me wrong, all comments are read and considered. That's why I asked. I haven't got my heart set on anything yet. I will still like a CC of some kind sometime down the road if funding allows as I will love one of each chassis class from Tamiya, perhaps just not run it as much. 

• Like 1

A CC-01 makes an excellent general basher that can take rougher terrain than your typical parking lot. Fit a standard silver-can motor and you are good to go. Not as fast as your stock TT-01 and about as fast as the comical buggies.

I love the CC-01 as a "Rally Raid" car that can take a bit more bumpy terrain than the typical rally car. My take on the CC-01:

IsuzuMu-Castrol-07.JPG

and a couple of videos from one of my favorite Youtube RC channels (note this guy adds massive weight for scale-looking bashing):

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

I put in a 4000Kv brushless combo from Turnigy. 

I'd actually forgotten about the GF-01TR version.  While I've never seen one in the flesh, I expect it'll work well on similar terrain and with similar driving style to a CC-01.  It seems too top-heavy to be much good once you're into inclines.  But don't take my word for it - somebody here must have tried one.

With something like a sports tuned, the CC01 will probably hustle along at a fair pace on the paths, but you'd have to watch the corners.  It should still be able to handle the trails once things get rougher, just with a bit less torque at lower speeds.  It's hard to say if it's the right thing for you or not, though.  Personally I think every Tamiya fan should own (or have owned) a CC01 because its such an iconic chassis, but they are one of those chassis that can do a lot but is compromised in every area unless you mod it to be more specific.

Thanks. So around a 9.5T I presume? 

I am going to download the TR manual to see if the reduction gears can be bought and fitted to other cars. This will give additional ground clearance and slower wheel speed. If I can get and fit them, I am not stuck with that top heavy MB shell. I am also thinking if I can put in M-05Ra C hubs in my WR-02CB for more ground clearance, but that is just all in the name of experiment. 

Corner speed (and bounce) had been mentioned many times here, is that due to the rigid axles? Just like the Lunchbox? The Lunchbox roller over annoyed me so much that I rarely take it out these days. 

@alvinlwh can give ya a look at my Pajero CC01 if you want? It's nothing special, silver can and 1060 but with 1.55" wheels. Might give ya an idea of whether it'd tick any boxes.

15 minutes ago, ad456 said:

@alvinlwh can give ya a look at my Pajero CC01 if you want? It's nothing special, silver can and 1060 but with 1.55" wheels. Might give ya an idea of whether it'd tick any boxes.

Oh yes please! When you have the time.