Arkan

Madcap wheels

Hi all I recently purchased a madcap its got sand viper wheels on it the fronts don't fit well they maybe need new bearings or there just different I don't know I seen a photo of a madcap with egress front and rears on it does anyone know how the fronts fit because there obviously hex?

You probably saw a pic where it was fitted with the 2wd front that originally came on the Astute.

It was egress wheels wish I could remember where I seen it it was an American guy and he said something about a hex conversion but wouldn't elaborate 

5 hours ago, sosidge said:

You probably saw a pic where it was fitted with the 2wd front that originally came on the Astute.

@sosidge is probably right.

Egress and Astute share the same rear wheels, but their front wheels have different widths. Egress has the wider ones (for 4wd machines) and Astutes look identical from the side but are noticeably narrower when viewed from the front angle (these are the 3wd versions).

You need a set of Astute front wheels/tires. At the back, Astute and Egress are identical so it makes no difference.

I have Egress 4wd rims on my Madcap, iirc it was a mod that Thommo came up with, I think it was TA03 front uprights, I’ll have a look tonight and see if I can dig up more info for you

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

I have Egress 4wd rims on my Madcap, iirc it was a mod that Thommo came up with, I think it was TA03 front uprights, I’ll have a look tonight and see if I can dig up more info for you

Thanks mate appreciate it 

This is cut from a thread, written by @Thommo

For a runner, I have a spare TA03 front hubs and axles if you're interested. The TA03 front hub conversion allows you to use 4WD wheels (DF03 wheels) with hex fitment on the front. It works with Madcap lower front suspension arms and needs modern Tamiya (grey or black) adjusters on the upper turnbuckles (DT03 turnbuckles are perfect). This is the same setup that you'll see in the Jesse James thread that was linked in post #18. That's who I copied :D and his car won Vintage 2WD 540 with that setup at last years Vintage Festival.

Advantages are 4WD wheels and more tyre selection. Bigger bearings and increased caster angle. TA03 uprights / hubs and hexes are available in alloy if you break one or want to upgrade.

Just let me know if this is of any interest. They are complete with bearings, axles and standard hexes so could be swapped straight in if you want, just add DF03 wheels.

The above is from my Madcaps thread 8 years ago , which is here.....

• Like 1

@Arkan, if you do want to go the 2wd front wheels in the Astute/Egress style, check out JC Racing, as the wheels will also then be in the modern 2.2" diameter, which opens up a lot more tyre options, in particular for the front wheels, from the likes on Schumacher etc. 

https://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/astute

See my build thread for some Schumacher tyres fitted to a set of the 19mm wide Tamiya Star Dish wheels for reference -

Also, big up to @Snappy1 on this thread for going above and beyond with supportive responses to the OP's queries👍👏🙌

2 hours ago, Kol__ said:

@Arkan, if you do want to go the 2wd front wheels in the Astute/Egress style, check out JC Racing, as the wheels will also then be in the modern 2.2" diameter, which opens up a lot more tyre options, in particular for the front wheels, from the likes on Schumacher etc. 

https://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/astute

See my build thread for some Schumacher tyres fitted to a set of the 19mm wide Tamiya Star Dish wheels for reference -

Also, big up to @Snappy1 on this thread for going above and beyond with supportive responses to the OP's queries👍👏🙌

That's a nice madcap mate I might pick your brains more in the future if you don't mind because I'll be upgrading mines a bit I'm running it on a 21t motor already but everything else apart from the esc and motor is standard 

7 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

This is cut from a thread, written by @Thommo

For a runner, I have a spare TA03 front hubs and axles if you're interested. The TA03 front hub conversion allows you to use 4WD wheels (DF03 wheels) with hex fitment on the front. It works with Madcap lower front suspension arms and needs modern Tamiya (grey or black) adjusters on the upper turnbuckles (DT03 turnbuckles are perfect). This is the same setup that you'll see in the Jesse James thread that was linked in post #18. That's who I copied :D and his car won Vintage 2WD 540 with that setup at last years Vintage Festival.

Advantages are 4WD wheels and more tyre selection. Bigger bearings and increased caster angle. TA03 uprights / hubs and hexes are available in alloy if you break one or want to upgrade.

Just let me know if this is of any interest. They are complete with bearings, axles and standard hexes so could be swapped straight in if you want, just add DF03 wheels.

The above is from my Madcaps thread 8 years ago , which is here.....

Thanks for that mate you went above and beyond for me there I appreciate it 👍 

No problem at all, that’s what these forums are here for, message me anytime 

The only thing I ask in return is for you to post some pics 👍

The funny thing about my Madcap thread was it was many times harder to restore the Astute than the Madcap, and the Astute never got its own thread