Pylon80

Help me choose a rally servo!

Attention rally enthousiasts,

I am searching for a servo for my TT-02 rally car to replace the Futaba 9551 that's in it. It's probably not the best choice and anyway it is needed in a different car.

The car sees a lot of dust and small rocks but no moisture. I'm not racing (what a dream if we could race rally cars over here...) but I like to lap around my own home made off-road tracks.

I prefer a low profile servo but a standard would also fit.

In terms of performance I'm not so concerned with speed and torque but more with having very little backlash.

Any hints anyone?

@Pylon80 what do you mean by backlash? 

The PowerHD R12 or B7 are fantastic low profile servos at good prices for the performance. The SPT4412LV is cheaper and still decent, as is the JX 4409MG.

A savox 1258TG is amazing value for money given the performance but its full sized.

They all may have bad backlash though since I don't know what that is

• Like 2

Backlash could be something to do with his significant other's involvement? .. :ph34r:

:lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

what do you mean by backlash?

I meant when the servo has some free play around neutral. "slop" if you prefer.

Thanks for the input. I have tried a Savox once (admittedly a large waterproof one, the 1230) but it was too wide for the TT-02 and didn't fit. Since then I have been worried about buying another Savox. Are the 1251 and 1258 standard width?

3 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Thanks for the input. I have tried a Savox once (admittedly a large waterproof one, the 1230) but it was too wide for the TT-02 and didn't fit. Since then I have been worried about buying another Savox. Are the 1251 and 1258 standard width?

The 1251 is a drop-in for a TT-02, although you'll have to shave the servo mount to clear the wires. It's a nice servo and you'll like it.

• Like 1

Thanks, I found the dimensions this morning and the 1251 is standard 😊while there 1230 is 3mm wider! No wonder it didn't fit.

1252MG is also a good choice.  That is what I use on all my recent buggies.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

The 1258 amd 1251 are the same width, I've swapped between the 2 a few times.

I've never noticed slop or play, except when the servo saver needs replacing, so all those shoukd be fine.

Another cheaper option which is comparable to the Savox 1251MG is the Trackstar TS D99X, very similar specs, can't tell the difference between the 2 either and I've got some that are years old and still going strong

• Like 2