drawde

Super Hornet restoration options

I've recently re-found my old cars that have been in my parents' attic for 20+ years. One of them is a Super Hornet that is in quite bad shape, but holds huge sentimental value to me so I'm going to try to restore it nonetheless. Getting parts is going to be difficult though!

I understand the Super Hornet was based on the Grasshopper II, but I can't find vintage parts for either of them. I can find parts for the 2017 rere Grasshopper II, but the part numbers are different throughout, so I guess they must have updated some things for the rere.

My question is, does anyone know how much changed, and if the rere Grasshopper II parts will be compatible with my Super Hornet? I definitely need a new chassis, and rear shocks. I haven't yet opened up the gearbox to assess its condition (the TA03F and F310RS have been the priority so far).

I know there are a few bits that I probably won't be able to get:

• Wheels - I found a thread on another forum where a user had bought white Wild One wheels and dyed them orange with great results.
  • Front tyres - I will have to go with 53083 Rib-Spike Tyres.
  • Body - No options except repairing my original body with epoxy, sandpaper, primer, paint and reproduction stickers.

Hi Grumpy Pants! Do you mean the Project Ultra Hornet thread? I hadn't found that one previously, and you're right, it has some really good info, especially for wheels and body. Thank you for that!

I have been thinking that maybe the easiest way would be to buy a new Grasshopper II kit, build it in parallel with the Super Hornet rebuild, and see what bits fit - and if they do, order more Grasshopper II parts specifically for the Super Hornet. Or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy another kit... But a rere Grasshopper II Black Edition will only become more desirable over time, right? Right?!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, drawde said:

My question is, does anyone know how much changed, and if the rere Grasshopper II parts will be compatible with my Super Hornet? I definitely need a new chassis, and rear shocks. I haven't yet opened up the gearbox to assess its condition

I only have a rere GH2, but I think the chassis and gearbox are the same in all versions of GH2, maybe not exactly identical but the mounting holes will be in the same spots, things line up the same way, etc. The gearbox in my GH2 is identical to my 80s Grasshopper (1) except an extra piece of plastic on the front. As far as I know, that gearbox has been unchanged since the 80s except a few little things like that.

The GH2 friction shocks will likely fit fine, but you'd be better off getting CVAs to replace your originals, or something aftermarket and oil-filled.

Hey El Gecko! That's really helpful - I thought the GH2 had CVAs and it was the cheaper Rising Fighter that had the friction shocks. I've inspected the gearbox now and it's in great condition. Thanks to @ThunderDragonCy's thread, as recommended by @Grumpy pants, I've ordered new wheels and tyres, as well as a chassis and a few other minor parts. I'm also going to replace the mechanical speed controller with a waterproof ESC.

The major things now are still the dampers and the body. I'd like to stick to a proper Super Hornet body as opposed to repainting a Rising Fighter body. Guess I'll just need to bite the bullet and restore my very tatty body, or keep an eye on eBay for one in better condition.

• Like 1

The GH2 black Edition has CVA shocks in tasty antrazite. Otherwise you could buy the 50519 and 50520 CVA if you want to upgrade a normal GH2. Personally I would have gone for the Black Edition. It's cool in black and it has got the shocks you want in the box. 

Edit: I see now that different norwegian web shops has the GH2 for significant different prices, because the cheapest ones are with pogo sticks instead of CVA. So watch careful if /when shopping. 

Yes! 50519 and 50520 are exactly what I’m looking for! Thank you!

Do I still think I need a GH2 Black? Probably not. Do I still want one? Yes. 

• Like 2

Had a brief inkling earlier this year to get a GH2 Black then to mount SH body & wheels on it. 

Then someone decided to buy ALL the GH2 kits at LHS so that scuppered that project. :rolleyes:

On 8/4/2022 at 12:07 AM, WillyChang said:

Had a brief inkling earlier this year to get a GH2 Black then to mount SH body & wheels on it. 

Then someone decided to buy ALL the GH2 kits at LHS so that scuppered that project. :rolleyes:

It wasn't me!

I’ve started to change my thinking on the GH2 black; LHS and UK internet sellers seems to have loads, but I’ve realised that now I’ve sourced all the parts I need (except body), what I’ve got is exactly GH2 with different wheels and body. So maybe I’ll go with a different chassis type next. But I probably need to finish the Super Hornet, and the F103 and TA03F projects first

• Like 1