TurnipJF

Stanley the Land Rover (was "CC-02 hop-ups: essential, nice to have, pretty but pointless or a bad idea?")

23 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Turnip, where did you find those links? I used to buy ones that looked exactly like them from Hobbyking for 99¢ a pair, and they’re superb. I’ve got a few projects that I’d like to use them on.

I got them from a Far Eastern seller on EBay. They are the steel GPM ones, which seem to be rated a lot higher than their aluminium equivalents from the reviews I've seen. 

• Like 2

On 9/23/2022 at 2:35 AM, Nicadraus said:

@TurnipJF That's a nice build and definitely not pointless nor a bad idea. I'm a fan of hopped up builds and some customization too. Your CC-02 turned out great especially with those steel shafts and suspension links which are very useful than those of the stock plastic ones. The CVD are also essential especially when that chassis and suspension work their way in uneven terrain and crawling. I popped out my CC-01's dogbones twice during a trail on a rocky terrain and also broke the pins at one time. Changed them to CVDs and never had an issue since.

If I may, I'd like to suggest looking into KYX shocks. They're really great and price is very reasonable at $17-20 a pair. Works really great and very smooth damping/rebound too. They come in many sizes too from 80-120mm. I have a set installed in my CFX and I absolutely love them.

image.jpeg.3dc89c8738b205e361e547d94997f7e6.jpeg

Thanks! I'll look into those. 

I am almost done with my Kamtec runner shell, which will probably be the biggest performance upgrade of all as now I'll feel confident to tackle more difficult lines without fear of messing up the original Tamiya one. 

Meet Stanley:

2022-10-05_08-36-08

He has a few decals on the way, and might get some stone chip on the rockers, but is otherwise done.

I used the yellow paint and black vinyl simply because I had them available and this was to be a low-cost no hassle shell for guilt free running. It was only when I reached this point that I noticed how well he matched my tool box.

Once a car has a name, it seems only natural to fit googly eyes, and that is why he is wearing those instead of headlight decals. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Stanley received a couple more scale details for his display shell today in the form of number plates from Dimension RC:

2022-10-06_05-31-14

2022-10-06_05-33-06

The registration is accurate in that it belongs to a full-size D90 in Tamar Blue.

• Like 6

Stanley's runner shell is finished. 

2022-10-13_03-42-06

2022-10-13_03-39-41

2022-10-13_03-37-54

The Kamtec shell is rather nice, and has great scope for detailing. However this is as far as I want to take it. The whole idea was for this to be a quick, cheap, expendable shell for guilt-free running, so I don't want to spend any more time, money or effort on it or else it will start to defeat the point. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Stanley's runner shell is finished. 

2022-10-13_03-42-06

2022-10-13_03-39-41

2022-10-13_03-37-54

The Kamtec shell is rather nice, and has great scope for detailing. However this is as far as I want to take it. The whole idea was for this to be a quick, cheap, expendable shell for guilt-free running, so I don't want to spend any more time, money or effort on it or else it will start to defeat the point. 

Sharp as a knife!!!😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know I wrote that the whole idea was for this to be a quick, cheap, expendable shell for guilt-free running, and that I don't want to spend any more time, money or effort on it or else it will start to defeat the point.

However I found some really affordable Fastrax and Absima scale accessories from ModelSport that fit rather well, so while Stanley's runner shell is still by no means a scale masterpiece, it now features mirrors and a roof rack with some leisure equipment on it. I like the look a whole lot more now.

2022-11-08_10-56-33

2022-11-08_10-57-40

Better photos to follow when I am over the side-effects of my COVID booster. 🤮

• Like 4

Stanley received a few more scale details in the form of headlights rather than googly eyes, and some imitation sidelights and taillights.

2023-03-29_09-32-12

2023-03-29_09-39-46

The folks across at Kamtec seemed to like how he turned out, as he is now the poster boy for this shell design on their website. 😁

• Like 8

Excellent stuff @TurnipJF 👍🏻, wait till the see your Teapot then they will make you the International Ambassador 😉

• Haha 1

What "rubberier tires" did you use in the earlier Stanley configuration?

I like the "Toolbox" version - fits a Tamiya fun runner. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JimBear said:

What "rubberier tires" did you use in the earlier Stanley configuration?

Absima "Steelhammers" I think they were called. 

• Like 1