Lunchy

Weathering Rust Colored Primer

Hello - 

I have been seeing some videos on youtube showing some guys creating rust effects or patina (RC Everyday on youtube is one) on their cars.  Looks like they are using a rust or red colored primer and then sanding down some of the paint that is over the top of it.  I have looked for a rust colored primer but didn't see anything out there online.  Does anyone know if there is one... or would it be a red primer?

Thanks!

Instead of sanding the paint which has a risk of sanding right through the primer to the plastic, the better way is to use the rock salt/hairspray method. 

I think RC Everyday uses AK Rust Streaks to do his rust. He has a video on weathering bodies his way. Just search on his channel. 

Edited by ad456

I have seen on RC Everyday he sprays a primer down and very gently wet sands it... looks good... just don't know what the heck he is using for the primer phase.

I'll also look into the rock sale hair spray method.

Thanks!

I would also suggest checking out @RC Perspective’s work on rust effect weathering.  

I’m not much of a painter myself, but when I create rust spots, I partial mix base color at the tip of my brush (silver in this case on the shovel&axe) with a mix of flat brown and flat red.. and kind of dab apply..

IMG_Jun172021at54441PM.jpg.babcad812aebf20b36073f37e7fc0548.jpg 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

flat brown and flat red

= XF-64 Red Brown 

Which is what we static modellers commonly use for rust. 

3 hours ago, Lunchy said:

This is for a hard body also...

For hard body, there is one more method, the chipping fluid method. But that works best with acrylics, less effective with spray paint.

This layering weathering method is quite common with static modeller makers. If you cannot or do not want to get hold of the primers I listed above, use regular primer, red brown followed by your chosen body color. Works the same too. 

Here is a link to my RC4WD TrailFinder 2 build, where I use a combo of black wash and some Tamiya Weathering Powder Rust Orange to achieve a rusty and bubbled finish. Sealed in with Mr Super Flat Clear.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/627868-oh-look-another-tf2-build-thread-watch-me-transform-used-ebay-tf2.html

20220730-122311.jpg

20220730-101620.jpg

20220721-180906.jpg

-RC Perspective

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RC Perspective said:

Sealed in with Mr Super Flat Clear.

That's right, any surface treatment like wash, powder, dry brushing or even just brush painting wear on must be sealed if a runner if not they will rub off pretty fast. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

= XF-64 Red Brown 

Which is what we static modellers commonly use for rust. 

Probably TS-1 if I want a spray can?

1 hour ago, Lunchy said:

Probably TS-1 if I want a spray can?

23 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Alternative Tamiya TS-1 Red Brown or TS-33 Hull Red.