Sign in to follow this  
smirk-racing

XV-02 body suggestions / paint job inspiration

Hi All

XV-02 arrived today and I am going to get into the build asap. 

I am looking for some inspiration on body choices. I am a little tired of the standard Lancia Delta Integrale look, so hoping for some pics of your favorite rally shells. My painting skills are in the “slim to none” category so I am limited to bodies that come with proper sticker sets (I am willing to buy stickers separately also if they exist). Pre-painted bodies are ideal but choices seem very limited (and mostly repetitive). I can handle shooting a single color or maybe a bit more if it is pretty easy. 

My car will be a very light-duty mostly on-road vehicle with a bit of dirt or grass driving (not a hardcore rally vehicle). 

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. 

I’m still waiting on all my hopups to arrive before I start my build and thread. With rally shells it’s partially what you like, then the other side is what the heck you can find. 

I’ve got a evo VI set here waiting for my build, but they are my thing, I’m disappointed they are Re releasing the EVO V without the rally livery. But it’ll be good for streeter rigs I guess. And I’m happy it’ll exist anyway, maybe it’ll go on my XV01TC project if I ever get to it!! Lol

obviously right now the Toyota is still available, there is a odd Suzuki SX4 shell kicking about and the Datsun too I saw somewhere the other day online. Got 0 chance if your a ford fan. 

Killer body dies a nice EVO X rally livery pre finished which is very good, it does have some plastic bits like exhausts etc that won’t take long to break off, but by that stage you’ll have scratched it enough not to care. 

https://store.killerbody.com/a/s/products/mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-x-finished-body-rally-racing-printed

9 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

Hi All

XV-02 arrived today and I am going to get into the build asap. 

I am looking for some inspiration on body choices. I am a little tired of the standard Lancia Delta Integrale look, so hoping for some pics of your favorite rally shells. My painting skills are in the “slim to none” category so I am limited to bodies that come with proper sticker sets (I am willing to buy stickers separately also if they exist). Pre-painted bodies are ideal but choices seem very limited (and mostly repetitive). I can handle shooting a single color or maybe a bit more if it is pretty easy. 

My car will be a very light-duty mostly on-road vehicle with a bit of dirt or grass driving (not a hardcore rally vehicle). 

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. 

I actually think 257mm rally is possibly where Tamiya still offer the best choice of body shell, even leaving aside the Delta Integrale (which I personally love):

• '99, '01, '02, '03, '04 and '07 Impreza saloons can all be found around and about. The 99's my personal favourite of those 
  • Then there's the WRX STi and 08 Impreza hatches
  • Audi Quattro rally
  • Datsun 240z rally, though it is getting harder to find 
  • Lancer Evo VII
  • The Yaris, though it's not my jam 

I did see a Xsara body set the other day, but it was ouch money. Same with the Focus '02 and '03, though they do show up from time to time 

• Like 1

The Audi is going to sit on the top of mine.. All hop-ups are here and now I just need the time to build it :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SimTechRC said:

My choose is Peugeout 205 T16 (group B), iconic and not often used by community.

Oh, be still my beating heart ❤️

But I can’t see it on anything other than an m-chassis, it would be much too big at 257mm

11 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Oh, be still my beating heart ❤️

But I can’t see it on anything other than an m-chassis, it would be much too big at 257mm

Hmm, sure?) Let's see real dimensions relatively Lancia

1700mm width in t16 version, similar to Lancia. 2540mm in t16

it only seems small due to its shape

Screenshot_20220805-225826_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-225800_Google.jpg

article-peugeot-205-turbo-16-lancia-delta-s4-audi-sport-quattro-592ea77b20dc4.jpeg

@SimTechRC

hmm, you’re right to a point, the hatchback does make it seem shorter. But I think it’s more than shape, it’s a question of scale

If we’re gonna accept that these shells look ‘right’ at 257mm, then side by side the 205 would surely be much too big? As, to be fair, is the Delta

Audi Quattro rally 4404

Audi A4 stw 4762

Audi v8 touring 4870

Impreza 99 4340

@Juhunio yes and no. Main size is wheelbase, IMHO.

See:

scale of Peugeout: 2540/257=9.88

Subaru B22: 2520/257=9.80

Audi Quattro A2: 2524/257=9.82

Peugeout has smaller scale than other. Its feeling size depends on its small overhangs (I don't know what the correct name is for the distance from the wheel to the edge of the bumper in English)

9 hours ago, Juhunio said:

The 99's my personal favourite of those 

I am with you here, in fact bought one last night from an eBay kit splitter. The only way to get a hold of one right now is either a lucky find or buy a TT-02 kit and painstakingly sell everything else. If you do that the body should be free but it is a bit of work. Kits come with a lot of stuff you can either keep for the XV (wheels and good harder tires) or sell (basic ESC, chassis, motor etc).

• Like 1

@SimTechRC good shout, and there’s the rub: if Tamiya came up with a 257mm chassis with the wheels bang in the corners with absolutely no overhang and no bumper up the front, it would be perfect! 

9 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

I am with you here, in fact bought one last night from an eBay kit splitter. The only way to get a hold of one right now is either a lucky find or buy a TT-02 kit and painstakingly sell everything else. If you do that the body should be free but it is a bit of work. Kits come with a lot of stuff you can either keep for the XV (wheels and good harder tires) or sell (basic ESC, chassis, motor etc).

Yep, true. Nice work finding one that way!

I actually found the shell in stock at Tamico  but couldn’t find the wing parts anywhere, so in the end bought the TT02 kit when they had it on offer and flipped the chassis and motor, keeping the shell, wing, tyres, rims and ESC. The bits I wanted ended up costing £40 👍

I did the same with the 190E Diebels Alt

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Yep, true. Nice work finding one that way!

I actually found the shell in stock at Tamico  but couldn’t find the wing parts anywhere, so in the end bought the TT02 kit when they had it on offer and flipped the chassis and motor, keeping the shell, wing, tyres, rims and ESC. The bits I wanted ended up costing £40 👍

I did the same with the 190E Diebels Alt

Hehe it was actually listed under a weird 8 digit part number instead of either the kit 5 digit or the elusive bodyset's 5 digit part number. I think that's how it stayed available more than a day ☺️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

@SimTechRC good shout, and there’s the rub: if Tamiya came up with a 257mm chassis with the wheels bang in the corners with absolutely no overhang and no bumper up the front, it would be perfect! 

unfortunately, there is such a problem.  except modify partially what is possible