Sign in to follow this  
smirk-racing

XV-02 - which hop-ups and why?

Hi All,

My XV-02 is now in my hands, but I'm holding off for a minute to get some hop-ups. Which of these hop-ups would you select, and why?

https://www.tamiyausa.com/blog/hop-option-parts-xv-02-rally-car/

My usage will be mostly on the street, with a little driving on grass and dirt. I won't be using the vehicle as a true rally vehicle (no space near me).

From the list above, I'm leaning towards the following:

front spool: for improved cornering on asphalt surfaces

center gear diff: so I can find a good compromise between on and off-road performance (vs say the stock spur) and so I don't need a slipper

What else would you select?

Get a Spring Set or two, that will allow you to set up the car for the grip levels you experience!

Also the list you linked is not complete anymore, Tamiya's release list for September features also these items: 

• 22055 XV-02 Aluminum Adjustable Suspension Mount (XH)
  • 22056 XV-02 Aluminum Damper Stay Mount
  • 22057 XV-02 Carbon Damper Stay (Front)
  • 22058 XV-02 Carbon Damper Stay (Rear)

I’ve got pretty much everything coming… (actually I’ve got 95% already just waiting on the last bits.)

well my xv-01 has pretty much everything on it as well, I’m planning doing the full build thread so everyone else can see it all and make up their own minds.  

the total hopup bill is predictably beyond the cost of the base kit. But that’s mostly because I’m going big bore shocks straight up.. nuts I agree.. :rolleyes:

I can’t tell you yet what’s a must just yet, I expect sway bars will be needed with the long travel as they where when you made the xv01 long travel, got those in the box waiting. Also got a center diff there in case I get to race it. 

anyway bit of luck I’ll get started next week. 

Hi @smirk-racing it would probably be wise to build it straight per the kit and enjoy it a little bit to see what is lacking, if anything... It's a "pro" kit. Given that it's a new chassis there are probably very, very few people who might know what is really needed. The evolution of chassis specific threads on RCTECH is always amusing to read in hindsight when you see what people were experimenting with 15 years ago and how people now build the same cars now. As an early user you get to write some of that history!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

@Juls1 Thanks! What sway bars are you using? I haven't seen any so far... but that seems like an important option.

Xv01 sway bars are the official part. 

• Thanks 1

If it were my project, these are the hop-up/upgrade parts I would include upon build:

• Aluminum suspension mounts - As proven, this is way better than any plastic even the carbon reinforced ones. Sturdy and will keep your suspension intact with super minimal slop and the have very minimal or zero chance of popping out during hard crashes.
  • Carbon fiber shock tower/damper stay - Light weight and strong. Keeps your shocks firm and no flexing.
  • Aluminum steering set - Precise and very minimal slop. Works really well.
  • Steel differential gears - Gives that right amount of weight and sturdiness and works much better with gear oil than the plastic ones.
  • Aluminum spur gear adaptor - Supposing it doesn't come standard with the kit, add this and get no wobbling and keeps the spur gear precisely inline
  • Universal CVD/DCJ - if it doesn't come as standard - eliminates the standard dogbones from flying out during hard impact crashes.

Then later on, I will start replacing these parts:

• Aluminum turnbuckles - Lightweight and blue bling! :D
  • TRF420 open face ball end adjusters - No popping out and keeps your ball connectors intact without slops
  • Steel 5mm hex ball connectors - Easier to work with during maintenance without popping out and loosing the tightness of ball end adjusters.
  • Aluminum/titanium screws - Aluminum screws on top of the chassis and titanium screws underneath. Both lightweight and sturdier (Ti)
  • Aluminum servo mount - more intact and looks nicer (if blue :D
  • Aluminum servo horn - I was never a fan of servo savers and replace it with actual horn instead.

37 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

If it were my project, these are the hop-up/upgrade parts I would include upon build:

• Aluminum suspension mounts - As proven, this is way better than any plastic even the carbon reinforced ones. Sturdy and will keep you suspension intact with super minimal slop and the have very minimal of popping out during hard crashes.
  • Carbon fiber shock tower/damper stay - Light weight and strong. Keeps your shocks firm and no flexing.
  • Aluminum steering set - Precise and very minimal slop. Works really well.
  • Steel differential gears - Gives that right amount of weight and sturdiness and works much better with gear oil than the plastic ones.
  • Aluminum spur gear adaptor - Supposing it doesn't come standard, no wobbling and keeps the spur gear precisely inline
  • Universal CVD/DCJ - if it doesn't come as stadard - eliminated the standard dogbones from flying out during hard impact crashes.

Then later on, I will start replacing these parts:

• Aluminum turnbuckles - Lightweight and blue bling! :D
  • TRF420 open face ball end adjusters - No popping out and keeps your ball connectors intact without slops
  • Steel 5mm hex ball connectors - Easier to work with during maintenance without popping out and loosing the tightness of ball end adjusters.
  • Aluminum/titanium screws - Aluminum screws on top of the chassis and titanium screws underneath. Both lightweight and sturdier (Ti)
  • Aluminum servo mount - more intact and looks nicer (if blue :D
  • Aluminum servo horn - I was never a fan of servo savers and replace it with actual horn instead.

Wow this is an awesome list. Very helpful!! Def some parts I am going to order. Thank you for sharing!!

• Like 1

Ive got a XV02 with the only upgrades being CF Shock Towers and Slipper Clutch. The car handles great around a road track already. Feels like most upgrades will be incremental and for personal drive characteristics and preferences. 

That said I also have the following to install (bought because they will go out of stock and not replenished for a while) but not expecting huge changes to the chassis:

- Aluminium Spur Gear Holder

- Aluminium Damper Stay Mount

- Pair of Universal Prop Shafts

- Par of Adjustable Suspension Mounts XH (no 54884 in stock)