NathanialGCoops

Faulty car looking for tips

Hi, I have a thundershot from 1987. Recently it has stopped going forward without a little nudge from behind. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

If it still running the mechanical speed controller it may need to be adjusted, the motor may have worn its brushes down to the throw out stage or the electronic speed controller if fitted may be dieing.

I would hook up a different motor ( wires only) and see if it behaves differently.

• Thanks 1

If you have spares of all of them, I’d swap out each component one by one until it’s fixed, MSC first as they’re most prone to miscalibration. If you can replicate the problem with the motor unmounted then no need to actually attach any of the temporary swaps into the chassis. 

• Thanks 1

Once you get it rolling with a push , does it speed up to normal and control from the handset ? - I guess you have checked the stick pack for charge ? . The MSC , if you have one fitted can be adjusted insitu via the push rod servo hole position if it needs adjusting to centre  , but first check that the handset trims are centred .

• Thanks 1

Once I nudge it, it works as normal and goes into reverse on it's own. I think the general consensus is a fault with the MSC but I have also been advised that this is prebuilt into the chipboard so I doubt I will be able to fix it. Thank you all for your help.

Remove the MSC from the chassis, take it to your back fence, throw it over.
Get an ESC, install it in chassis. Profit.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, NathanialGCoops said:

Once I nudge it, it works as normal and goes into reverse on it's own. I think the general consensus is a fault with the MSC but I have also been advised that this is prebuilt into the chipboard so I doubt I will be able to fix it. Thank you all for your help.

I think you need to recenter the servo trim with the MSC so that the car does not go forward or reverse in neutral.  

I also think you got a burn mark(s) on your commutator on the motor from it receiving drag braking (reverse) each time you let off the throttle.  This can cause higher resistance which might explain why you need to nudge the car for it to move.

Anyway hope you figure out the problem!  

1 hour ago, Pablo68 said:

Remove the MSC from the chassis, take it to your back fence, throw it over.
Get an ESC, install it in chassis. Profit.

If you’re not bothered by staying true to factory spec, this is the way. Especially when perfectly good ESCs are so cheap. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 8:07 PM, NathanialGCoops said:

Prebuilt into the chipboard? Are we talking about a Thundershot 1/10 or a Thundershot QD? Any chance of a photo or two?

On 8/8/2022 at 9:13 PM, TurnipJF said:

Prebuilt into the chipboard? Are we talking about a Thundershot 1/10 or a Thundershot QD? Any chance of a photo or two?

Was just about to ask the same question

My guess is motor brushes sticking