Golden

Avante Black Special - colour….

There are some old threads on this but some of the pictures are no longer available. Does anyone know what the box art colour scheme is…. The manual says smoke and black are both options…. But I think the body is black (ps5) and the wing smoke (ps31). Or…. Should the whole thing be smoke…..?!

It's very stressful. And I haven’t even started to build mine yet! 

Doesn't the manual give you the paint codes at the back?

Yep - it says you can choose to go ps5 black or ps31 smoke.

what did Tamiya do in the end? Looks like the wing is smoke for sure - but the body?

I think they just did as per the manual and the wing just looks lighter in some of the promo shots due to the lighting. Box art is box art mate, not much else to be said on the matter really;)

So what do you reckon they actually did - as they could have followed either option… (the actual “box” is blue and black!). Wing does look to be lightly smoked - almost transparent brown. But the body….?

The box art doesnt give any real hints but in the original Tamiya photos it looks like black for the body and smoke for the wing (as its semi transparent)

I went with all black.

Thank you for this. It’s what it seems to look like doesn't it. I’m going to mess the smoke wing up I think….! 

Lol, sorry when I said box art, I simply meant as per the manual or manufacturer instructions. I can appreciate that the box doesn't give much help on the matter!😂

No probs! 

I’m pretty good at using smoke on windows of touring cars - but only if I literally empty an entire can and make them super-dark! (which I kind of like, as don’t want to see electronics on those cars). The Avante wing might be tricky to lightly smoke as has some tight recesses I think. 

My life is so difficult….

Joking aside - anyone got any recent pictures? The older threads don’t seem to still have live pictures anymore?

My apologies, I posted in the wrong thread..  

Edited by Willy iine
wrong thread, sorry
  • Like 1

The Avante Black Special is based on the mini-4WD of the same name. The mini-4WD was produced with a transparent smoke plastic body set. That's why they give you the option. Tamiya's promo of the RC version featured a smoke wing & under tray, and opted for the solid black body. This is why you have the two options. But as far as Tamiya goes, I believe either version uses a dark smoke wing and undertray.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 94eg! said:

The Avante Black Special is based on the mini-4WD of the same name. The mini-4WD was produced with a transparent smoke plastic body set. That's why they give you the option. Tamiya's promo of the RC version featured a smoke wing & under tray, and opted for the solid black body. This is why you have the two options. But as far as Tamiya goes, I believe either version uses a dark smoke wing and undertray.

@94eg! is correct that the smoke colour comes from the Mini 4wd original version, which is moulded in smoke-coloured plastic. This means that the windscreen is also smoke coloured. I don’t have it to hand, but at home I have some instructions for the Mini 4wd version that might tell us what colour they expected us to paint this version. I mention this because perhaps a 1/10 version that was true to the Mini 4wd version would be interesting! It would certainly need a smoke windscreen, but perhaps also black or (extra) smoke paint in the body.

As another aside, the nice thing about the smoke paint is that you can add layers to make it darker. So you have choice about how close to back you go — from a light mist to a smoggy mass.

i’ll probably just chuck a pic of mine, too 😍 (smoke all over).

image.thumb.jpeg.0ab11de5d83c3251441432007c2cb69a.jpeg

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=133947&id=48472

Finally, when you build it, take extra special care on the large silver stickers. Notoriously fiddly, and I regret not trying a wet application method on mine (see showroom pics of area you left of driver’s head 😫).

Enjoy your Avante build!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input on this. Looks like box art is ps5 with Ps31 wing… but I think I might smoke the whole thing - but go really dark with it.

I definitely wouldn't paint the canopy smoke. It will be blurry and you will regret it.

To add an extra layer of complexity, Tamiya also offered an optional body set for the mini 4WD that was solid black with a clear red canopy (94928). I wish I had nabbed one back when this was out.

spacer.png

• Like 1

That’s not helpful!!! I thought I’d made my mind up!!! 

I think I’ll still go with smoke - but not the canopy, as I want to see the driver. I won’t smoke the canopy as want to see the driver. 

I’ve always associated the black special with smoke (although almost a brown wing due to the thin layer). I still think I’ll try to smoke the whole thing - but can see it going a bit wrong - so it'll end up with two cans worth on it, and i’ll sort of be black anyway…

I bldy hate painting…

23 hours ago, Golden said:

Yep - it says you can choose to go ps5 black or ps31 smoke.

what did Tamiya do in the end? Looks like the wing is smoke for sure - but the body?

Please accept my apologies If I've just stepped half way into  a conversation that I haven't read properly but my tablet is having an off day and won't let me read any back pages:wacko: The actual colour tamiya recommend was PS31 smoke but personally I would just do it black backed with silver then black again 

20200706_203625.jpg

20210418_095015.jpg

• Like 3

You should get some custom chrome 30th anniversary decals made to go on that chrome blue body. Very impressive. I don't know why I love these replica mini 4wd so dang much. LOL

I'm kinda partial to the white lightweight wheels too.

spacer.png

• Like 2