Kol__

Kol's Super Astute

For the past 9 months or so I've slowly gathered the parts for a full box art Super Astute 2018 build. The last parts arrived, so I've documented the parts and boxed it all up for the build day - TBC

Parts bags...

Bag A

ZomVPkz.jpeg

Bag B

93YyDB4.jpeg

Bag C

0iOOQxQ.jpeg

Bag D

KY6ezTs.jpeg

Bag E

TLs5keh.jpeg

Chassis and wheels

udhMMd7.jpeg

All parts trees

irkZAzc.jpeg

Manual and stickers

mhC87kY.jpeg

And the custom parts, for a second build element with custom paint work and stickers. Revive RC Astute body shell and wing, blue Tamiya Stardish wheels, VQS Hi-cap shocks. Also an Avante driver figure, if he will fit under the Revive RC shell. It think it will and with the uninterrupted view into the cockpit from the wrap around window, the driver figure should be well displayed. I'll look to use @Willy iine's technique of adding a plate to the battery tray holder/catch to mount the driver figure.

uVBju1k.jpeg

Full carbon chassis and shock tower set by Xtra-Speed

dmM9Qvj.jpeg

All boxed up, the original body shell, wing l, undertray and gearbox cover are in the tissue paper on the right of box.

zTYEcz4.jpeg

And now stacked up with the others, awaiting it's time to shine...

wUgucjW.jpeg

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Kol__ said:

For the past 9 months or so I've slowly gathered the parts for a full box art Super Astute 2018 build. The last parts arrived, so I've documented the parts and boxed it all up for the build day - TBC

That‘s awesome!

I thought about the same thing two years ago, but decided against it because the price in total was higher than a NIB from the "bay". And then I found a Dyna Storm in really good condition.

But I still have my eyes open for a Super Astute…

And I’m looking forward to your build :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

I thought about the same thing two years ago, but decided against it because the price in total was higher than a NIB from the "bay"

Yep, the only way to do it cost effectively and cheaper than the original kit price was to pick up some bulk Super Astute parts collections and sell most of it leaving me with the parts I needed. I did this twice and also back at the end of the last year when I started this process there was a US eBayer selling the parts super cheap, like the manual for $2 and most of the gearbox parts for $10 etc. so buying a few parts from him to split the shipping costs worked out very well.

I'd still love to be able to get hold an original box at a reasonable price though😢

• Like 1

Tamiya stopped production of all Super Astute spares early 2022, so I think it might be unlikely we'll get another re-release, although I hope they do one. A black special would certainly be nice!!B)

• Like 3

A while since I updated this thread. Nothing has changed with the acquired parts or plans for the build, but I did however manage to pick up an original 2018 box, which included the original parts bags. So the kit now looks like this...

LZdgfsf.jpeg

CaRsDna.jpeg

66AK967.jpeg

...and up onto the shelf to await the future build date 🙂

• Like 8

This is amazing, I see I liked your original post but I don't think I appreciated what you had done. I picked up mine for a bargain and wish I had bought all 5 they had!

• Like 2

Thanks mate. Nice one, wish I could've picked one up cheap. They still have it listed on RCMart for something like £275, but of course it's marked out of stock.

I think I'm most looking forward to doing the Revive RC shell on this one. That along with hopefully a decent paint job, the carbon chassis, hi-caps, and the blue wheels should make for a unique shelf queen I hope.

Luckily as my Madcap/Astute mongrel is more Super Astute than anything now, I won't feel the need to run this one, otherwise it would've been getting a good bashing!🎇🏎️

• Like 1