Hi guys

just getting back into the hobby after a 40 year break. I’ve just scored a Dynahead off eBay and I’ve just got to fiddle with it.

what would be a good updated torquey motor don’t really want to go down the brushless route but we’ll see.

Im based in the uk

many thanks ade

I use the stock silvercan in mine. Due to the gearing you get from the portals it’s pretty capable. You could upgrade to a 35t or 55t crawler brushed motor for more torque?

• Like 1

Any motor would do, as long as you install all 78 bearings.   

We recommend bearings even for 9 bearing cars like the Grasshopper.  Imagine how much worse it would be for 78 bearings. (Well, you don't have to imagine, simple math says it's 800% worse friction.)  As a rule of thumb, installing bearings would give you about 10%+ improvement in acceleration, top speed and battery run time. (I forget which was which, maybe 10% better top speed, 15% better acceleration, 15% run time?)  And that's for generic 15-20 bearing buggies. 

In case of Dynahead, 78 bearings and light grease (included ceramic grease is fine) will have greater impact.  Having bearings on Dynahead is like installing a faster Sport Tuned motor.  Or a Sport Tuned with bearings might work better than a Super Stock without bearings.  

As @Busdriver mentioned, the gearing is very low due to portal gears (37:1).  (In comparison, DT-02 has 9:1 ratio.)  It's like a car stuck in the 1st gear.  You don't need a torquey engine because you are stuck in the most torquey gearing anyway.  But if you want more speed, you could go with a faster motor. 

On the opposite end, you could possibly use 35t or 45t or 55t motor if you want to really go extra slow for more control (like crawling up a steep slope in really slow speed).  Those "torquey motors" often have lower torque than the standard silver can. But they can give you more control because they are slower.  (Tamiya's 35T CR motor is actually torquey for a 35t motor. But the torque is about the same as cheaper 25t Sport Tuned, and obviously slower than the silver can.)

So... bearings first. They improve everything.  If you like to go slower, go with 35t (about 15% slower). If you want a bit more speed, go with Sport Tuned (about 25% faster). 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Any motor would do, as long as you install all 78 bearings.   

We recommend bearings even for 9 bearing cars like the Grasshopper.  Imagine how much worse it would be for 78 bearings. (Well, you don't have to imagine, simple math says it's 800% worse friction.)  As a rule of thumb, installing bearings would give you about 10%+ improvement in acceleration, top speed and battery run time. (I forget which was which, maybe 10% better top speed, 15% better acceleration, 15% run time?)  And that's for generic 15-20 bearing buggies. 

In case of Dynahead, 78 bearings and light grease (included ceramic grease is fine) will have greater impact.  Having bearings on Dynahead is like installing a faster Sport Tuned motor.  Or a Sport Tuned with bearings might work better than a Super Stock without bearings.  

As @Busdriver mentioned, the gearing is very low due to portal gears (37:1).  (In comparison, DT-02 has 9:1 ratio.)  It's like a car stuck in the 1st gear.  You don't need a torquey engine because you are stuck in the most torquey gearing anyway.  But if you want more speed, you could go with a faster motor. 

On the opposite end, you could possibly use 35t or 45t or 55t motor if you want to really go extra slow for more control (like crawling up a steep slope in really slow speed).  Those "torquey motors" often have lower torque than the standard silver can. But they can give you more control because they are slower.  (Tamiya's 35T CR motor is actually torquey for a 35t motor. But the torque is about the same as cheaper 25t Sport Tuned, and obviously slower than the silver can.)

So... bearings first. They improve everything.  If you like to go slower, go with 35t (about 15% slower). If you want a bit more speed, go with Sport Tuned (about 25% faster). 

Yes bearings are essential for all the reasons stated. Once fitted the drivetrain is really smooth. Never ran mine without but I would suggest doing it as Teri fitting is basically a back to kit rebuild!!

• Like 1

I used a Holmes 5 pole crawler 540 motor. Really fits the chassis well and very smooth. I went with a 550 size, though any of the 540 options should work well too. 

• Like 1