smirk-racing

XV-02: Steering assembly help

Hi all,

I've finished assembling my XV-02, but there's one part (steering rack) that I must have gotten wrong. I figured that what issue I had would somehow get resolved in a later step of the build, but now that I'm done, the issue is still there. I'm hoping some of you experts can help me out.

Here's the step that I'm have trouble with:

SteeringAssembly.png.27cfb6d9e475a2bf8438ce13fbeb2e35.png

Once completed, this assembly will be installed upside down (relative to this diagram). So, the MA12 bearings are the only thing that hold the steering rack (T2) onto the two arms (T6). However, the way mine has come out, the T2 part can just slide down. The bearings do NOT hold it up. Now, realistically, the entire thing hangs together, and right as assembled in my car, it is "working". There's not really a lot of force pushing T2 downwards, so it hangs in there (there is some amount of friction in the vertical direction). However, if I apply pressure, it will indeed come down and slide off T6.

Clearly, that can't be the way Tamiya designed it, so I must have done something wrong... however, these parts don't really go together backwards/upside down.

I have little choice but to take it apart and perhaps start over (for this assembly) but I figured I'd ask in case one of you ran into any difficulties on with this part.

Thanks!

I think I understand what you mean. However, when it's installed in the car it's actually upside down comapred to the pic in the manual. So, it's not a problem. I used the alloy part but it fits the same:

vDe1yrI.jpg

8cCdoOR.jpg

• Like 2

@toyolien Thank you! Beautiful pics by the way!

I turns out there is a right way and a wrong way to install T2. I had gotten it upside down, which meant it could just slide right off the the pair of T6 parts. After fighting through my overzealous application of threadlock in the steering posts, I was able to get everything disassembled and fixed.

1 hour ago, smirk-racing said:

@toyolien Thank you! Beautiful pics by the way!

I turns out there is a right way and a wrong way to install T2. I had gotten it upside down, which meant it could just slide right off the the pair of T6 parts. After fighting through my overzealous application of threadlock in the steering posts, I was able to get everything disassembled and fixed.

Great. Glad you got it sorted 👍