Sign in to follow this  
Gebbly

An awkward GF-01 body conversion

Hi All,

I have just about completed a GF-01 chassis (just currently making an alteration for a wider track following a good guide by IoWBasher, fitting the steering linkages this evening should be the last step)

I will be painting the Land Cruiser body that came with my kit but I would like to, at some point, work on a tweaked Wild Willy 2 body.

There is a good guide by NicheRotors on a way of fitting a Wild Willy 2 body to a GF-01 chassis but it involves cutting the GF-01 rear body posts

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=137457&id=18923

I would like to be able to alternate between the Land Cruiser body and a Wild Willy 2 body so I think I need to keep the original chassis in tact.

Has anyone made a successful modification such that their GF-01 will fit both the Land Cruiser and Wild Willy 2 bodies?

I have, but on my approach I had to cut a section off the battery holder bracket where it clips under Willy's seat (battery is still secure with just one clip)and on the body side, the vertical body support under the shifter to gain the proper ride height without cutting Willy's ankle itself.  :blink:

Honestly speaking, it's faster to just get a second GF01 and make one dedicated for your LandCruiser and one for the M151 as you still have to flip the body posts around to swap bodies..plus the wheels and tires.

You also might be able to get nicherotors to reupload his SWB version 4WD GF01 based WW2 chassis on ShapeWays.  It's not cheap though as you'll still need a dedicated GF01 chassis, M151 body, and get either his wheels or simensays wheels, M38 tires to complete the car. 

GL with what you decide!  B)

IMG_Dec92021at60046AM.jpg.36c95497736b72f44f77a91a741514ce.jpg

• Like 1

@Gebbly Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen that before. 

I've had the same conundrum as you but ended up getting multiple GF-01 kits!  

I've not built the latest one yet but it's also going to be a Wild Willy. I was going to go the whole hog and get Niche's 3D chassis but in the end it seemed a step too far.  I've also grabbed some of @simensaysadpapters to shift the body mounting back a little on the GF01 and I'm also going to be using his rims that allow the use of original or repro sand Tires with hex on the Gf-01.

The GF-01 is addictive because there is so much you can do with it!

Narrowed track width with a Radio Shack custom body:

Army-200

Wider track width with a Tandy Van body:

JumboVan

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 3:41 PM, Gebbly said:

Has anyone made a successful modification such that their GF-01 will fit both the Land Cruiser and Wild Willy 2 bodies?

Yup, no need to get two kits. You can find some info in this thread and if you do a forum search, I started a dedicated thread a few years back.

• Like 1

Received the GF-01 spacers this morning, thanks Simensays. GF-01 project stage 2 has taken its first step :)

• Like 1