RC Enthusiast

VQS Hi Caps on Avante

Hi,

I have an Avante (original) that I would like to fit with VQS Hi Cap Dampers (47455).

Will these fit directly onto the Avante?  It seems like I could swap the rears without any issues (please correct me if I’m wrong). 

But what about the fronts?  Can they be built so they are the correct length (using internal spacers)?  Or do you have to get a longer front tower? I know in the past Tamiya made an extended front shock tower for the Avante (that came as part of 53036), but those are no longer available. If a longer tower is required, could I use an Egress front shock tower?

Thanks,

RC Enthusiast

I'm playing the same game with my Black Special right now.

It's possible to mount them directly, using 3mm spacers on the rear tower instead of the 1.5mm stock. I believe it's recommended to build the rear shocks with an internal spacer.

The fronts amazingly will mount directly but have almost no travel. Internal spacers won't help. Repro X shaped front shock mounts are available in Avante and Egress spec. I have both on order to see which I prefer.

I'll post photos shortly.

There was a replica Hi-Cap front shock tower for sale on ebay.  This is a must have part for hi-caps on Avante & Vanquish.  The geometry also looks better than any other Avante family shock arrangement.

The only drawback is that you either need trim the body's nose down to a strip that slips through the tower (barf!), Or you have un-bolt the lower legs of the tower to get the body on/off.  For me I do the latter. 

Contact this seller to see if he can get more...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175348068722?hash=item28d38f3172:g:vW0AAOSwH9he81SP

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RC Enthusiast said:

If a longer tower is required, could I use an Egress front shock tower?

You should be able to use the re-re Egress front tower as the re-re Egress tower is meant to work with the lower shock mounts attached directly to the "arm" like the stock Avante. The original Egress set-up used brackets that hung off the standard lower mount location and moved the lower mounting position inward and had a tower that matched, all in an effort to make the shocks stand more upright. This was all cast aside with the re-re Egress, hence the re-re tower being altered.

EDIT: Scratch that. Using the re-re Egress tower would probably require you to hack up the front of the body.

Barf! Recommend trimming for hi-cap shock tower (same for Egress)

IMG_20220524_174131742~2.jpg

The Egress shock tower works but your car will look more like a re-re Egress 2013 with the "spider-legs" front shock arrangement. Unfortunately that completely ruined the car for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 94eg! said:

Unfortunately that completely ruined the car for me.

Do you think is was just cost cutting or do you think Tamiya was trying to alter the geometry enough to allow the front end to properly bottom out? Either way, I hate the way the new one looks.

9 minutes ago, 94eg! said:

There was a replica Hi-Cap front shock tower for sale on ebay.  This is a must have part for hi-caps on Avante & Vanquish.  The geometry also looks better than any other Avante family shock arrangement.

The only drawback is that you either need trim the body's nose down to a strip that slips through the tower (barf!), Or you have un-bolt the lower legs of the tower to get the body on/off.  For me I do the latter. 

Contact this seller to see if he can get more...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175348068722?hash=item28d38f3172:g:vW0AAOSwH9he81SP

spacer.png

I bought it yesterday. I believe they make them to order so it will be relisted, but by contacting them you may get it hurried along.

Yes absolutely cost cutting to leave out 4 stamped steel parts. Vintage re-release aren't made for competition so I'm confident tuning isn't part of it.  And other than poor aesthetics, this change also makes the car handle different.

11 minutes ago, 94eg! said:

Barf! Recommend trimming for hi-cap shock tower (same for Egress)

It's been mentioned on other threads here that's to do with being able to pass the front end under the shock mount. If you're willing to undo the shock mount, you can avoid the horrid cut. Note that for changing the battery on an Avante, you don't actually need to remove the body.

Oops - I should have actually read your earlier post first 

2 minutes ago, 94eg! said:

Yes absolutely cost cutting to leave out 4 stamped steel parts.

I kinda wished I'd grabbed some of the repo BF8/9 plates when I had the chance. I guess I could make some with the right measurements.

Here's what you get for literally just throwing the VQS Hi Caps with no internal spacers at an Avante (rear needs internal spacers; front needs more travel)

y4mJie9mXhojYMm9gOfqCiGveHwWPYjSA3ei8BkI

y4mdEXhBEFbHjsYQuyKUzKBYtqkzwTeFjTskJ6CB

y4mzpItycLGi10p4HI0W1DxRTRKFKl1hT5ibVi48

y4mJTPqN04od4ZUR23jhveN6T_5il13cbV5L91Hs

Only concession is you need 3mm spacers on the rear tower. I can't remember if they came with my VQS shocks or from my Top Force Evo.

y4mJbSGN3u3cylLDYZr76W5sCShqbdf4JjKUQCSW

16 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I kinda wished I'd grabbed some of the repo BF8/9 plates when I had the chance. I guess I could make some with the right measurements.

That was super cool he went through the trouble to make those

16 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

Here's what you get for literally just throwing the VQS Hi Caps with no internal spacers at an Avante (rear needs internal spacers; front needs more travel)

Looks unique lol. You will definitely appreciate that hi-cap shock tower.

Even though I have two original ones, I kinda wanna buy a carbon repro one now just in case (what with the world ending and all).

41 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

y4mJie9mXhojYMm9gOfqCiGveHwWPYjSA3ei8BkI

And now rebuilt with the internal spacer

y4myePxofzN0geeI5rEYqVU7fl5jXKPp5abCzhvT

• Like 3

That looks much better. I remember first running OG hi-caps in my OG Vanquish. My rears were slightly too long. While simultaneously braking and turning, a dogbone got jammed. The motor torque broke the rear upright. Had to sort things and get the right spacers in there.

Not sure if the modern CVDs help this issue or not. Best to start with whatever the kit recommends.  Just be aware Avante, Vanquish and Egress all have different rear arm geometry (2001 is identical to Egress).

• Like 2

....The important thing to remember is that these mid-height control arm cars are kinda unique.  The arms are in-line with the driveshafts.  This means they are meant to be run with the lower arms parallel to the ground (when fully loaded). This makes them seem quite a bit lower than normal.  But because the arms are basically moved halfway up toward the upper arms, they appear quite different.

Driveshafts are meant to run parallel to the ground for greatest efficiency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, naturbo2000 said:

And now rebuilt with the internal spacer

y4myePxofzN0geeI5rEYqVU7fl5jXKPp5abCzhvT

Thanks for posting these pics. Do the rear shocks still have enough travel to bottom out the chassis with wheels attached to the car?

1 minute ago, RC Enthusiast said:

Thanks for posting these pics. Do the rear shocks still have enough travel to bottom out the chassis with wheels attached to the car?

Rear: Yes - very much so, Not much pressure needed to do it, so I'll have to play with preload a bit.

Front: The front end set up badly like the above. No. Shocks bottom out about halfway to the chassis grounding out. Definitely don't run it that way.