Like most I love the SRB and refuse to accept that it is challenged to handle well in turns or speeds.

With the RChannel suspension, the handling is night and day better.. and softening the suspension helps a bunch with keeping it planted. I am able to do full speed turns with the solid axle on asphalt and it will not flip over!!! 

So next up was pushing for more speed.

Couple of years ago, I managed to get a Novak 13.5 brushless in there, top speed was so so. A few weeks ago, I dropped in a viper 10.5. Well that pushed it to the limit, had to be gentle on throttle. Nonetheless I took the SRB to the beach along with my sons outlaw rampage. I managed 5 minutes of runs on the soft sand before it started to glitch.. sensor wires had picked up moisture, so game over for dad.

So I thought, either I have to go back to a brushed motor or pick up a sealed sensorless  brushless. 

My sons Rampage had a 13T team brood black can. It looks like a mabuchi but it’s black, has bearing and internal fan (crawler style). It has some kick. So I ordered one and dropped it in the SRB. It had decent speed but nowhere near the 13.5 brushless. 

So I got to thinking about gear ratios. What if I could switch to 48 p or 64 p and drop the gear ratio. Easy enough task as the SRB output shaft uses a cross pin, so just would need to fine the right bore spur holder. I had a spare XV01, so I checked that, hole was a small, would have to be drilled out. So I grabbed my phone and searched eBay for Sand Scorcher gear ratio. Low and behold there was a Thorpe spur gear older and asking price wasn’t obscene ($16).. So I picked that up.

Well it arrived today so I started tinkering. I didn’t have enough 48p gear, so I switched to 64p. Pinion wise the biggest you can use is a 42t (64p) which clears the upper and lower screw holes for gear cover. Spur to match would have to be about an 84t, which I didn’t have. I did have an 88, so I used that one mated it with 36t. Mesh was perfect. FDR dropped from 6.5 for the (20/65) to 4.88! Placed gear cover back on and the gears cleared it perfectly. Took it out for a spin.. now we’re talking.. had very good speed. Drove it hard for a bit and temped the motor.. 140°F.. so not bad! 

Hmmm 🤔 what to do now 

• Like 5