bRIBEGuy

Wild Willy 2000........ Re-Re?

What an odd announcement from BigSquidRC. You would have thought they'd have checked their facts before publishing that. Seems like it's just the ESC that's new.

I have a NIB sitting in my closet.. I think I paid no more than $165 for mine as I used promo code and coupons.  :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't realise the wild willy 2 went out of production? I was always under the impression it was a good selling kit for tamiya because its relatively cheap and appeals to a wide audience? you have to admit it's the king of the stunt rc's all the other manufacturers do their versions but they don't touch the wild willy:D

Does it get a new kit number?

12 hours ago, toyolien said:

Seems like it's just the ESC that's new.

I'm willing to bet the ESC is the heart of the matter. We might simply be seeing the change over in ESCs. Instead of just quietly slipping in the new ESC, its "news" the that the kit be being "re-released" when it probably never really halted production. I don't think supply was even interrupted.

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

I'm willing to bet the ESC is the heart of the matter. We might simply be seeing the change over in ESCs. Instead of just quietly slipping in the new ESC, its "news" the that the kit be being "re-released" when it probably never really halted production. I don't think supply was even interrupted.

Yep. My thoughts too. I'm pretty sure it's stayed in production since 1999. I was hoping for a new TRF WR02 chassis using reinforced plastics...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I think Bigsquid's announcement is just based on their misunderstanding of a recent FB-post by TUSA.  (screengrab below).  And the "2000" is just because neither Bigsquid nor TUSA have yet realized that the tentative pre-release name "WW 2000" has been obsolete for 23 years.

image.png

• Like 2

When I bought my first WW2, it came with a MSC.  This was in 2000.. I should've kept it MSC..  Back then I was not thinking I would be decorating a room dedicated to pretend RC shop..  stupid newb mistake.  :angry: 

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

And the "2000" is just because neither Bigsquid nor TUSA have yet realized that the tentative pre-release name "WW 2000" has been obsolete for 23 years.

So that was the deal with the "2000" bit, a pre-release name? I always wondered why folks kept alternately using WW 2000 or WW2 BITD when the box said WW2. And not that I've been reminded that was 23 years ago (how is that possible?, where did the time go!?), I feel obsolete myself.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Saito2 said:

So that was the deal with the "2000" bit, a pre-release name? I always wondered why folks kept alternately using WW 2000 or WW2 BITD when the box said WW2. And not that I've been reminded that was 23 years ago (how is that possible?, where did the time go!?), I feel obsolete myself.

As I worked for a distributor at that time, I know how it happened in my country, and there are very good reasons to assume it happened exactly the same way virtually worldwide; Tamiya announced the WW2 to the distributors as the Wild Willy 2000 and being a rather exciting future release at the time, this information trickled through to hobby shops. And though Tamiya changed the name to Wild Willy 2 well before the actual release, the 2000-name got stuck. That's however no excuse for TUSA (or any other distributor) and Bigsquid to still get it wrong so many years later.

By the way, talking about tentative model names, Tamiya announced the Farm King as the Poppy Buggy to distributors and also that name got stuck for a while on some distributors' and shops' websites even after the Farm King was released.

• Like 1

Downunder the recent batch of WW2s are now labeled as T58242A and don’t have ESCs. Priced cheaper accordingly. 

Whereas recent batch of Yokomo parts has also recently started using suffix “A” to their bag tags too ... only difference being their printed RRPs have gone up. 

Quite a big % too :(

My heart almost stopped reading the post on BigSquid. I thought they'd release something closer to the old Wild Willy, with smaller wheels and a chassis that's like the old one. But it was nothing. It seems like only the ESC is new. THW-1060, whatever that means.

3 hours ago, YelloMello said:

My heart almost stopped reading the post on BigSquid. I thought they'd release something closer to the old Wild Willy, with smaller wheels and a chassis that's like the old one. But it was nothing. It seems like only the ESC is new. THW-1060, whatever that means.

Yeah, I hope some day we can get a 4WD M38.. wait, I already have one.  :lol: This can run both M151 and M38 bodies..and is a SWB!  (not just a GF01)

IMG_Dec92021at60046AM.jpg.36c95497736b72f44f77a91a741514ce.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, I hope some day we can get a 4WD M38.. wait, I already have one.  :lol: 

Ya ya, you have all the coolest toys... we all know that already!  :lol:

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Ya ya, you have all the coolest toys... we all know that already!  :lol:

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there..!   :lol:

• Like 1