Kevin_Mc

Back (again) after a hiatus

Hello again all, I've been lurking here for the past few weeks but haven't wanted to post until i put a thread up. I don't think I've posted here in about a year and i haven't done anything RC related since at least October 2021, maybe even before.

During the first UK lockdown i fell into a Lego rabbit hole. Just prior to the pandemic, whilst my wife was pregnant with baby number three, we went to Centre Parcs and to keep myself amused at night when everyone else was in bed early I bought some Lego Speed Champions sets. I really enjoyed building them and bought some more when we got home. As the lockdown started and we were all stuck at home (I was working, then eventually furloughed on full pay) I started buying more Lego kits including bigger Technic and Creator models. Birthdays, Christmases and Father's Days had my collection growing and I gave RC a back seat as I found I could dip in and out of Lego easily when the kids were about.

We've since had baby number four (!)Β and as money is tight just now I've stopped buying new Lego kits as the ones I want are all brand new and cost over Β£120 each. So i found myself lurking back here. I had sort of imposed a ban on myself as I was spending a fortune on RC, mostly on new lexan bodies while they were available. I have a massive list of "wants" but I've decided to set myself a goal - I need to finish the various RC cars & trucks I already have before I buy any new more that are new to me. That's going to be hard as I really fancy a CC01 / 02Β & a Grasshopper II but I'll resist as best I can until I make a dent in what I have as a backlog.

Phew! now I can post on here again without feeling like I've just interrupted my way into a conversation. I see a lot of new names doing a lot of cool things so looking forward to more browsing. I also spotted a few familiar names still posting which is great to see. The only person I noticed that hasn't updated since I was last on is @ACCELΒ - are you still about buddy?!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Long time no see mate

Glad ya backπŸ‘

• Like 1

Welcome back and good luck with finishing your existing projects. A lack of funds can certainly help to concentrate the focus :D.

I'm a big fan of the Speed Champions too. My son finished the Jaguar Formula E / i-Pace combo yesterday, working with his Grandfather. I'm only drafted in to help with stickers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, svenb said:

Long time no see mate

Glad ya backπŸ‘

Cheers Steven, good to see you're still here.

Had the Cossies out much over the summer?

@Badcrumbleit's funny how the Focus is sharpened when funds are tight eh?!Β :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

Cheers Steven, good to see you're still here.

Had the Cossies out much over the summer?

@Badcrumbleit's funny how the Focus is sharpened when funds are tight eh?!Β :D

Not for the last couple of years mate, been working on the Capri a bit more

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

We've since had baby number four (!) …

Welcome back and welcomeΒ in the club of the fantastic four (kids)Β :D

• Like 1

Glad to see you back!Β  The Lego rabbit hole is as tricky as the Tamiya one. My wife and I are still working away at the Lego Titanic.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

We've since had baby number four

CONGRATS! with the lil' babe

Problem with children? They grow up to be people🀣

What's doing mate?

winter will set in and i need to finish some RC projects for sure.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 5:15 PM, Willy iine said:

Hi I’m new! Β Welcome back. Β B)

You're not that new WillyπŸ˜€

did i tell yall about my Lego story, long story very short story I sold the majority of them to prove a point, upside is it lead into more RC projects the down I took a big hit on a city of a lego train set. about 11'x6' lay out. well that's how the brick falls:o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you all for the replies, it's nice to be on back on the best forum on the Internet.

@ACCELgood to see you're still here - have you finished your BuggyraΒ truck and Knight / Grand Hauler yet?

@Sgt.Speirsfour is a bit hectic eh?! What ages are your's? I have a girl at 8 and three boys - 5, 2 & 6 months so all still young.Β 

@Willy iinebelated welcome, it's brilliant here - so many helpful and enthusiastic members that can do some amazing things.

@Saito2I saw you were still active here which is great. How are you getting on? How is your daughter doing?Β 

@svenbΒ good to talk to you the other night, glad to see the Capri is progressing. I saw a mint mk3 the other day, just a 2.0 Laser but it was immaculate with a few tasteful mods. The guy was saying he has an RS3100 tucked away as well. Jealous is not the wordΒ :D

I'm already struggling to not buy any other kits - been wanting a Lunchbox Black Edition for ages and have been planning to build a modded Sand Rover since 2019 and never started. Must. Resist.Β 

Β 

• Like 4

On 8/12/2022 at 4:41 PM, Pablo68 said:

Welcome back! Nothing wrong with going down the Lego hole.

I found very quickly that it's a slippery slope. Initially cheaper than RC cars but after some time costs mountΒ up

On 8/12/2022 at 3:36 PM, MadInventor said:

Welcome back. Sounds like you've had a hectic time while you've been away :)

Β 

Thanks Martin! Hectic's right. Hard work so they areΒ 

Β 

I can't stretch to a rs3100 πŸ’° but it'd be nice

Maybe you should get oneπŸ˜‰

I can't stretch to a 2wd Saph these days. An RS3100 would be my share of our house!Β 

Worth it thoughΒ :lol:

2 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

@Saito2I saw you were still active here which is great. How are you getting on? How is your daughter doing?Β 

Thanks. Yeah, I just won't leave, lol. We're hangin' in there and my daughter is well. She starts 4th grade in two days. They grow up incredibly fast. All I can say is you must have super-human abilities to cope with 4 young ones.;) Very impressive!Β 

• Like 1

@Kevin_Mc: My kids are almostΒ the same age. Our oldest daughter is 9, our son 5 and the other two daughters are 3 respectively 9 month.

On 8/14/2022 at 1:12 PM, Kevin_Mc said:

it's nice to be on back on the best forum on the Internet.

It's true, i just joined on Thumper Talk motorcycle forum, it's funny i do not get the positive vibes like I get here, then again i just joined a week ago.

maybe it's me:DΒ as George Carlin would say I'm a Whack A Loon!:oΒ out of all the famous, important figures in history I will never forget him, Laughter is the Key.

So like this winter I have an office full of unopened boats, cars and trucks just waiting to be built, Christmas is coming and I believe i'll be a Great Secret Santa just because it's fargin fun. When I do something, somthumpn' goes off in me i just now realized it's the innovation of others to produce what i get to put together and there are way too many neat things to be had, and hocus pocus they arrive to my home like toys from Easter Island that need attention.Β Thus I build thus i stay busy and stay out of trouble.

Speaking of Lego’s, I have a pretty decent collection of Technics which I have no place to display.. it’s been displayed in my basement book cases for a while, but my wife told me recently she wants to use the spaceΒ for her work.. Β hummmmm..

I do not like mixing hobby thingsΒ in the same space for some reason (example: no RC in my 1:1 car lounge, no car or relatedΒ toysΒ in my music room, no LegoΒ in my pretend RC shop)..so I will need to think of something ratherΒ quick..Β :blink:

• Like 3

Hi Kev

Great to see old names popping up. I too haven’t posted in quite sometime. But I feel like an RC related winter is on the horizon. Loads of stuff saved up to build.

LookingΒ forward to reading your thread as and when. I love how this community never goes anywhere and we all bubble away InΒ The background then suddenly feel the need to post more and get involved. Starting to remember why I love this forum. Hopefully I’ll be more engaged over the next 6 months or so. All it takes is the opening of 1 nib and I get sucked back in. Lego is awesome btw. Easier to pick up and put down with youngsters around.Β 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 4:52 PM, Willy iine said:

Speaking of Lego’s, I have a pretty decent collection of Technics which I have no place to display.. it’s been displayed in my basement book cases for a while, but my wife told me recently she wants to use the spaceΒ for her work.. Β hummmmm..

I do not like mixing hobby thingsΒ in the same space for some reason (example: no RC in my 1:1 car lounge, no car or relatedΒ toysΒ in my music room, no LegoΒ in my pretend RC shop)..so I will need to think of something ratherΒ quick..Β :blink:

Pretend RC shop πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ not just me then.