Reliver

TT02b Dogbones popping out

Hi All,  I was wondering if any one had any tips on this.

I have seen a few other posts such as here.  Nothing of a concrete solution.

My kids have two tt02b's.  On any kind of bump off road they seem to pop out a dogbone even if it is a very minor bump.

Between the cars, I have from completely stock, to metal dog bones and a Tamiya turnbuckle kit.  Both cars have issues.

Is there any recommendation on a spacer to enable the dog bones to sit more comfortably?

Thanks in advance

Alun

46 minutes ago, Reliver said:

Is there any recommendation on a spacer to enable the dog bones to sit more comfortably?

Might be a bit obvious, have you tried o-rings? 

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I have one o ring on the inner cup as per the build instruction. Do you mean having another on the outer cup too?

2 minutes ago, Reliver said:

Thanks. I have one o ring on the inner cup as per the build instruction. Do you mean having another on the outer cup too?

Usually will be one on each end although I had not built a TT02B before. Try that and see how it goes? 

• Thanks 1

Thank you. I can try that. Unfortunately it won't push the dogbone further into the cup though.

O-rings on both ends could be important.  Yes, they push the dog bone out of the cup, but it gets pushed in on the other side.  By having 1 O-ring in each cup, you can ensure that the dog bone stays right in the middle; not too deep, not too shallow.  

Just make sure that the dog bone is not binding when the a-arms are perfectly horizontal.  When it's horizontal, the distance between two cups are the shortest.  One of mine was binding there (no room for 1 o-ring each).  So I sliced one o-ring in half (each cup got half a bagel).  If there is room for only one, put it in the cup on the wheel side, not on the chassis side. (The gravity already pushes the dog bone to the wheel side, it could come off from the chassis side. And the dog bone getting too deep into the outer cup isn't good, especially for the front wheels that need to steer.)  

Sometimes it falls out when the suspension droop is too severe.  When the suspension hangs down, the length between two cups get a couple mms longer.  That's when it could fall off.  If that's the case, you can adjust it by shortening the shock. That will limit the suspension arm travel. But you only need to shorten just a tad. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Juggular.  I have ordered a bunch of o-rings and will give it a try.  Currently I have stock suspension. 

If I was to upgrade the suspension, where is the best place to start?  Simply the suspension arms? Do you have any recommended brands?

Thanks

Alun

9 hours ago, Reliver said:

the suspension arms?

If you want, you could.  However, I don't know if there would be much benefit. Stock arms are strong enough. They give a little which is harder to break. 3rd parties sell aluminum arms. They look sharp, but functionally they are not much different from stock parts.  

Perhaps steering linkages could give you crispier steering (if you find the steering lacking--I'm fine with my stock DF02 which is nearly identical to TT02B).  If you need a stronger motor, you might want metal bevel gears in the diff (DF02 parts).  That's about it. TT02B is a fairly decent basher buggy. It does not require a lot.  

• Thanks 1

Perfect. Thanks.  I have the df02 gears and steering linkages. The other stock parts do seem good.

On 8/14/2022 at 9:18 PM, Reliver said:

Hi All,  I was wondering if any one had any tips on this.

I have seen a few other posts such as here.  Nothing of a concrete solution.

My kids have two tt02b's.  On any kind of bump off road they seem to pop out a dogbone even if it is a very minor bump.

48 minutes ago, Reliver said:

I have the df02 gears and steering linkages.

I found more DF-02 parts to be the solution to the dogbone issue. The DF-02 has longer dogbones and deeper cups on the outdrives and axles, all of which makes sure the dogbones stay put, and they are a direct fit for the TT-02B.

Apart from the alloy propshaft, my TT-02B runs a complete DF-02 drivetrain and has never lost a dogbone, stripped a diff or had anything else drivetrain-related go wrong with it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Reliver said:

If I was to upgrade the suspension, where is the best place to start?

Shock towers!

The stock ones are made of a resilient rubbery plastic, great for surviving collisions but no good for handling as they flex before the shocks start to compress, meaning that for the first portion of its travel, the suspension has no damping at all.

When I started using my TT-02B in the postal races instead of just as a basher and I wanted to make the handling more precise and race-tunable, the biggest improvement came from swapping out the rubbery plastic towers for stiff carbon fibre ones that let the shocks do their job. 

• Like 1

"I found more DF-02 parts to be the solution to the dogbone issue. The DF-02 has longer dogbones and deeper cups on the outdrives and axles, all of which makes sure the dogbones stay put, and they are a direct fit for the TT-02B."

I did not know that.  Brilliant. 

Would you recommend any particular brand or website?

I have had a look and the Tamiya stock parts seem hard to come by.

Edited by Reliver

57 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Shock towers!

The stock ones are made of a resilient rubbery plastic, great for surviving collisions but no good for handling as they flex before the shocks start to compress, meaning that for the first portion of its travel, the suspension has no damping at all.

When I started using my TT-02B in the postal races instead of just as a basher and I wanted to make the handling more precise and race-tunable, the biggest improvement came from swapping out the rubbery plastic towers for stiff carbon fibre ones that let the shocks do their job. 

Good to know.  I seem to have a nice upgrade path now from this thread.

8 hours ago, Reliver said:

"I found more DF-02 parts to be the solution to the dogbone issue. The DF-02 has longer dogbones and deeper cups on the outdrives and axles, all of which makes sure the dogbones stay put, and they are a direct fit for the TT-02B."

I did not know that.  Brilliant. 

Would you recommend any particular brand or website?

I have had a look and the Tamiya stock parts seem hard to come by.

I get most of my parts from Tony's Tamiya Parts on EBay. He has a good selection of spares, including relatively uncommon ones, and if he doesn't have it in stock, he can almost always get it from Japan.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I get most of my parts from Tony's Tamiya Parts on EBay. He has a good selection of spares, including relatively uncommon ones, and if he doesn't have it in stock, he can almost always get it from Japan.

Thanks.  I had a look around and I had a question ref: DF02

In the instructions for the DF02, the dogbones seem to both slot into grooves in the cups, but I have also seen some dogbones, that are fixed into the wheel side cup, such as here

Which ones/ types are you referring to?

Cheers

Alun

15 minutes ago, Reliver said:

In the instructions for the DF02, the dogbones seem to both slot into grooves in the cups, but I have also seen some dogbones, that are fixed into the wheel side cup, such as here

Which ones/ types are you referring to?

Those are called CVD or universals, never dogbones. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Those are called CVD or universals, never dogbones. 

Thank you.  Would you recommend them? Or would the DF02 stock dogbones be a nicer alternative (if the double o ring trick doesnt work)

57 minutes ago, Reliver said:

Thank you.  Would you recommend them? Or would the DF02 stock dogbones be a nicer alternative (if the double o ring trick doesnt work)

CVDs are always better as they will not drop out. However those are not Tamiya or a known brand? So buy them only if they are cheap enough for you to throwaway as fit maybe hit and miss. Or get Tamiya or branded items where fit is guaranteed. 

One more advantage of CVDs are they are more quiet when running. 

For me, I actually had a bad experience with Tamiya CVDs where it causes one side to jam causing the car to veer off and crash. It can probably be fixed with adjustments, but I didn't bother and just reinstalled the dogbones. That is just a personal experience, do not let it put you off CVDs, just pointing out even branded hop ups may need fine adjustments. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

CVDs are always better as they will not drop out. However those are not Tamiya or a known brand? So buy them only if they are cheap enough for you to throwaway as fit maybe hit and miss. Or get Tamiya or branded items where fit is guaranteed. 

One more advantage of CVDs are they are more quiet when running. 

For me, I actually had a bad experience with Tamiya CVDs where it causes one side to jam causing the car to veer off and crash. It can probably be fixed with adjustments, but I didn't bother and just reinstalled the dogbones. That is just a personal experience, do not let it put you off CVDs, just pointing out even branded hop ups may need fine adjustments. 

Good to know. I was on Tony's store on ebay and could only find CVDs for the DF02 but at £30 for a pair.  However I have bought cheap cups before and they snapped so I have also had that lesson.

Anyone have an opinion on these? {YEAH RACING G45 UNIVERSAL STEEL SWING SHAFT FOR TAMIYA DF03 TT02B - seems like a good price and potential popping dogbone soln}

Anyone have an opinion on these? {YEAH RACING G45 UNIVERSAL STEEL SWING SHAFT FOR TAMIYA DF03 TT02B - seems like a good price and potential popping dogbone soln}

I haven't tried those shafts in particular, but I use a lot of Yeah Racing parts and have been impressed with the quality, Just bear in mind that you will need the smaller all-metal drive cups to work with those as they have the smaller ball ends.

• Thanks 1

As TurnipJF pointed out, upgrades can quickly snowball. I know some sellers sell "package" for some cars. See if you can find on of those. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks both.  I might try a few ideas with the two cars and see what works.

Longer dog bones is a good solution.  Reduce ground clearance so the dog bones are at a reduced angle is another solution.  I have universals still fear they will pop out.

An alternate option is to add a space to the drive cups and push them towards the dog bones.  I believe I used washers to help achieve this.

Good luck

image.thumb.jpg.548fd449d869927258ac38ab926ad8be.jpg

• Thanks 1

By the way, do you find the problem mostly on the rear of your TT-02B?   I find the track wider in the ream and could be a cause of the dog bones popping out

• Thanks 1