Reliver

TT02b Dogbones popping out

7 hours ago, Frankster said:

Longer dog bones is a good solution.  Reduce ground clearance so the dog bones are at a reduced angle is another solution.  I have universals still fear they will pop out.

An alternate option is to add a space to the drive cups and push them towards the dog bones.  I believe I used washers to help achieve this.

Good luck

Thanks Frankster.

With one car I am going to try DF02 CVD's and the other I will try two o rings/ or the spacer advice you have given.

Juggler also mentioned about shortening the shocks so will also look at that.

7 hours ago, Frankster said:

By the way, do you find the problem mostly on the rear of your TT-02B?   I find the track wider in the ream and could be a cause of the dog bones popping out

Would you mind explaining this comment please?

6 hours ago, Reliver said:

Thanks Frankster.

With one car I am going to try DF02 CVD's and the other I will try two o rings/ or the spacer advice you have given.

Juggler also mentioned about shortening the shocks so will also look at that.

Before shortening the shocks, there are 3 holes in the lower arms to adjust height.  Maybe you can use the one closest to the wheel which will give you a lower ride height.

Another option is to take apart the CVA and add a spacer (highlighted in yellow) inside between the piston and body. CDE82D54-2B82-422A-BDDC-CF15C6148A93.jpeg.7913b0b932f81f9438b295a1f4a6cecb.jpeg

This sounds like a nice science experiment you will be doing testing different solutions 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Reliver said:

Would you mind explaining this comment please?

The dog bones from front and rear are typically the same length.  But I recall the suspension arms are longer in the rear, with a reduced  overlap with the drive cups easy to pop out.

Similar to the other comments on adding O rings to each end of the dog bones, a cheap option is to cut up sponge ear plugs to keep the dog bones in the middle

• Thanks 1

I've been following this and can't offer solutions since I've never had the problem. Which  dog bones are popping out? And how? 

I find the TT02B to be fine, the fronts will half come out with the right impact, but the rears never have. The TT02 onroad cars are a different story, just look at the front dog bone and it will fall out. These are all stock kits too built to the manual specs.

FWIW I used the Yeah Racing universals on the onroad car which needed new diff outdrives too, and its been great ever since. YR is generally really good. 3Racing is similar quality and pricing, used those on a TA07 when I couldn't find Tamiya in stock anywhere 

• Like 1

Thanks Frankster, much appreciated.

Jonathan - Thank you. I have monsterised both the tt02bs and the additional weight of the wheels in motion on the stock parts might be part of the issue, although with one I have also a turnbuckle kit which I have now shortened more to see if that helps.

I have had the dogbones pop out on all areas.

The DF02 cvds will be a solution on one of the cars although equally I might look at the universals you mentioned if the o ring/ washer solution doesnt work out on the other car.  I will make sure I update this post with the findings as many posts dont seem to follow through with a conclusion.

Thanks for the advice on the makes of parts.

• Like 1

soooo....what happened.  I tried 3 solutions.

DF02 universals:

df02.thumb.PNG.355233befab0e77bd01dc35833fa2236.PNG

DF03 Swing shaft:

DF03.thumb.PNG.b07692eda068c2963b9a04b1471abb37.PNG

Also I tried using double O rings.

Did it work?

• Like 1

The answer was....nope.  Took the cars out and the shafts/ dogbones still popped out, easily.  However, I did find the cause and solution.  Hats off to @TurnipJF

'Shock Towers'

I had monsterised the car and this put even more stress on the towers.  Initially, as the cars were quite new, this wasn't an issue.  As time has passed, the stress has caused these to become weaker.

Once I analysed the cars closely, I could see how they flex and thus allow for the pieces to pop out on just a tight corner.

I have updated all my towers to metal and no dogbone/ shaft has dropped out since.

I am still pleased to have upgraded the shafts although if you read this thread and want to stop dogbones popping out, 'Shock Towers'.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2022 at 10:07 PM, Reliver said:

I have monsterised both the tt02bs

Cool! Do you have any pics? Just big wheels, and which wheels, or did you need new axles and stuff?

23 hours ago, droidy said:

Cool! Do you have any pics? Just big wheels, and which wheels, or did you need new axles and stuff?

Here are a couple of pics below.  In essence where we are, more ground clearance is a must and the TT02b's are great builds with the kids. Big wheels give it more clearance.

Unfortunately big wheels put too much strain on the drive train.

This if you enlarge the wheels, there are a couple of things that really help with the car:

1.  Upgrade the differential gear sets to metal.  Leave the large spur plastic as a point of failure if needed as there is no slip clutch for the tt02b.  Plenty of threads on this

2.  Upgrade the motor to brushless if using the standard esc

3. Metal racing motor mount

4.  Metal Shock towers!!

Other upgrades which help {only that I have done, the guys on this forum are much better experts than me} - Turnbuckle set, better bearings, change pinion to look at different gear ratios, change dogbones [a stock plastic one broke] {see above thread}, metal driveshaft, metal cups {although one metal one broke as I moved to a 13.5 turn brushless motor, most likely due to chinesium, pay for good parts!}. 

1.PNG

2.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Reliver said:

Here are a couple of pics below.  In essence where we are, more ground clearance is a must and the TT02b's are great builds with the kids. Big wheels give it more clearance.

Unfortunately big wheels put too much strain on the drive train.

Those are wild, thanks for the pics :) I reckon they would keep up with a CC-01 on the trail and even have better front and rear clearance for crawling.

Large dish wheels are a nice compromise for normal wheels with a little more clearance but then you lose the all important monster fun factor! I can just imagine the wheelies if you found enough torque...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, droidy said:

Those are wild, thanks for the pics :) I reckon they would keep up with a CC-01 on the trail and even have better front and rear clearance for crawling.

Large dish wheels are a nice compromise for normal wheels with a little more clearance but then you lose the all important monster fun factor! I can just imagine the wheelies if you found enough torque...

Thanks.  CC-01 looks v cool.  When I have the 13.t brushless, the car does tend to take off.  

@Reliver i monstered my TT-02 B chassis as well  reinforced many parts as you mentioned   Universals, metal motor plate, stiffer damper towers, large wheels for ground clearance  4 wheel steering and mounting a hard shell was the final straw that almost broke me.

62AF9C91-90BC-47DD-8175-D0395E5E492C.jpeg.23a0e6e1c1f05cc33f960088c7e9ce62.jpeg113B8164-AF4F-4303-884F-6812A85FFE98.jpeg.0fb4c3a5b77d0672a993d60a41d0a45a.jpeg7227C1AA-267E-461C-AEC7-3DA01BDA0EAA.jpeg.db448168c895fe1e1d01e362e064fb80.jpeg

Build site here

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Reliver said:

1.PNG

2.PNG

FYI, you can put the taller damper towers in the front for the full monster look.  You just need longer dampers

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 10:45 AM, Frankster said:

FYI, you can put the taller damper towers in the front for the full monster look.  You just need longer dampers

@Frankster  This is amazing.  Thanks so much for the ideas.  The shocks are the next on my hit list so will look at this.