smirk-racing

can the M-06 chassis take serious power?

Hi All,

I think the Alpine Jagermeister version of the M-06 chassis is really sharp. However, I want to see if it can accept a mild brushless system, and get some real power down to the ground. I found with M-05 that even a slightly hotter brushed motor resulted in way too much power, and as a result, I'm not enjoying that chassis as much. It is very pretty to look at, but the overall speed is just too low.

I do see a few youtube vids with M-06s going pretty quickly, but thought I'd check with the experts. Can this chassis get power down to the ground in a useful way?

Thanks!

I don't know if it could.  

The gearbox itself can take a hot brushless. But that's not the issue.  The problem is the lightness of the chassis and it being RWD.  I don't have M08, but I think M06 has a bit more weight pressing down on the rear wheels.  Even so, it's just too light.  I have several stronger motors, but I did not bother mounting any on M06. It has a silver can.  

If you are not competing, you could experiment with weighing down your M05?  You could add steel weights intended for 1:1 wheels. The point is to weigh the chassis down to increase the traction without getting too much weight penalty.  Softer tires would help, and you may need stronger springs too.  If it works on M05, you could get M06 and try the same thing. 

pYIbIW3.jpg

cxLTPal.jpg

• Like 2

From my experience as a car park basher & Racing by Post it might be worth starting off with a Torque Tuned to start and see if you like it or not. I have found grip to be more crucial than anything with M chassis’s. Super Grips on the back with Medium on the front. I believe the M06 kit comes with them now anyway, my Alfa Giulia did.

Like you my first was a M05, and even after a few hop ups it still only has a Silver Can and 2s in it. It’s OK but just doesn’t do it for me as much as a RWD.

My next M was a M08, that was just a whole other kettle of fish to the M05 and is probably my most used road chassis.

I started of with a Sport Tuned & TBLE 02 in it and was a real fun drive, even with occasional spin outs. I have now put a RC Rocket 17.5 Brushless in via a 1060HW ESC. It was a handful with the timing set at around 30degrees, but dialled back to 10 or 12 it was much much better. The main benefit with brushless is the tune ability. The Drag brake I find particularly useful as helps prevent locking up the back wheels to slow down.

You could put a 1080HW and run brushed in as they offer more tuning options than a Tamiya ESC  

I have also got a M06 which I enjoy. I only have a Torque Tuned in that and find it near its limits with added oil dampers and aluminium steering linkage. I wouldn’t put more than a 17.5 BL in that as it is, then just tune it to suit.

• Like 4

I am a bit confused here, you take about serious power and intend to put in a mild brushless? 

It can handle mild brushless all right, but with serious power? Well, do you like wheelies? With a RR layout, I had seen it described as an on road buggy. With enough power, punch and grip, it will wheelie and probably flip. Of course you can fix that by installing weights on the front. 

8 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

Hi All,

I think the Alpine Jagermeister version of the M-06 chassis is really sharp. However, I want to see if it can accept a mild brushless system, and get some real power down to the ground. I found with M-05 that even a slightly hotter brushed motor resulted in way too much power, and as a result, I'm not enjoying that chassis as much. It is very pretty to look at, but the overall speed is just too low.

I do see a few youtube vids with M-06s going pretty quickly, but thought I'd check with the experts. Can this chassis get power down to the ground in a useful way?

Thanks!

Hi @smirk-racing,

I´m just not sure I understood you correctly! M05 is in principle similar to M06 from the gearing, so should be at the identical speed of M06. M05, especially the Version 2 with the more centered engine, is/was a great race chassis. I raced mine with brushed Cup machines and in the end with a Carson Dragster 3 16t brushless set. This gives very good punch and speed with the 20t pinion, as long as your tires will have decent grip.  That said, an M06 will have a better launch from zero, but is also much more sensible to drive. You need prepped surfaces in my eyes, to not spin out on dusty tarmac. M08 is even more difficult to drive, when grip is low. M06 and M08 can be beasts on carpet surfaces or prepped tarmac, with a real good driver. If you are bashing around, you could consider to install a gyro system in the RWD M-chassis. That will help you control it better during acceleration, especially out of corners.

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 3

Honestly I would get a 4WD m-chassis for any kind of 'serious' power and place the body of your choice on top given that the wheelbase matches.  

This is a TA05M-Four and TOP Sabre Mini.  I also have a CupRacer and an Xpress completion 4WD m-chassis that I have not built.. and some cheap Chinese brand.  They all do well with hot motors, MUCH better than 2WD.. if that matters to anyone.

IMG_May142021at94440AM.jpg.681366635f02d43e444e44086565d3a6.jpg

IMG_May152021at110506AM.thumb.jpg.b1168fc1812a76b6e6ada9a9f67dee33.jpg

• Like 3

Now that Willy iine had mentioned it, the 3R M4 (and newer M5) can handle serious power, and are really cheap to buy and it comes with many hop ups as standard OOB. You have (almost) indefinite gearing options, the only question is can your motor and tyres take it. 

I put in an insane gearing ratio of 2.4 FDR and smoke silver cans quite quickly, but can hit 40mph. 

I run a 17.5BL in my M06, it handles it fine. Don't forget about the MF01X, with a bit of tweaking, it makes a fine and fast little AWD mini that can handle a good amount of power.  This one has a 10.5 motor and is a blast!

20190121-112734.jpg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

I run a 17.5BL in my M06, it handles it fine. Don't forget about the MF01X, with a bit of tweaking, it makes a fine and fast little AWD mini that can handle a good amount of power.  This one has a 10.5 motor and is a blast!

20190121-112734.jpg

That looks great.  Nice background too!  :D 

That's a polycarbonate body?  If so, I love the detail with the clean fender arches.  Nicely done.  

• Like 1

I’ve been running a 3500kv sensorless since day one, the car does have the yeah racing wide arm kit, oil shocks, fast servo lots of other hopups etc. it handles it just fine. It probably slides in there about 10.5T sensored system speed wise. 

im running the sticky rear tyres with the less sticky ones up front (as it came stock with my giulia body) it works well, I have plenty of power to get the tail around and control it in a relatively small space. 

so far gearbox has never complained, I’m mainly just being stupid trying to slides and lots of spinning tyres. 

it would probably be a bit tricky handling without oil shocks I’d say, and you’ll need the sticky rear slippery front tyre combo. 

• Like 2

My M-06 runs very well on 13.5t brushless and conservative timing, but it has oil shocks fitted. I would hesitate to go beyond a silver can with the stock pogo sticks. In fact, come to think of it, I would hesitate to run it at all on the stock pogo sticks! 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 11:01 PM, OldSchoolRC1 said:

20190121-112734.jpg

Aside from the paint job that makes this bug look sharp, I couldn’t put my finger on it before but now I realise it’s the addition of the Giulia wheels as well 👍🏻 

• Like 1

The most I’ve ever had in M06 is a 17.5 as well. You might be able to get away with mild 13.5.. but definitely no timing.  You will need to use drag brake to slow it down for sure. 

Something else to consider is the rotor. Use a low torque rotor in M06.. high torque will cause wheel spin which will make it spin out 

• Like 2