Cuiken

Silver can budget rally build off

13 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Have you built that yet.? 

No, it was for the boy's 3rd birthday and he can build it for his 4th birthday. 😁

54 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

No, it was for the boy's 3rd birthday and he can build it for his 4th birthday. 😁

Ah, when’s that? I looke for other schemes for the Calibra. MCI do a set of Old Spice Keke Rosberg stickers that are rather tempting. Need to do more research!!!

4 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Ah, when’s that?

Next Easter. 😁

• Sad 1

I've started a dangerous thread. Dangerous for me at least. I've now also ordered the Calibra kit :rolleyes:. Squirrel it away for xmas.

I'm thinking of getting a different body for it entirely though and using the Calibra shell on my TA03F (set up more as a road car). We'll see.

Either way, I'm set for projects for the foreseeable future :)

Already ordered the bearing kit for it and trying not to scan rcjaz for hop ups......

edit...

I wonder if threads like this one end up causing a temporary bump in eBay/Amazon sales?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cuiken said:

I wonder if threads like this one end up causing a temporary bump in eBay/Amazon sales?

Yes, along with a bump with the price. It all started with the DT-03 Neo Fighter. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cuiken said:

I've started a dangerous thread.

Yes, yes you have!

8 hours ago, Cuiken said:

There is a cheap-ish (opening bid, anyway) 03R-S and 03F-S on eBay at the moment which I though might attract some interest from this thread, but no bids yet 

Still working out how to approach this project...I have an unbuilt XV-01 here, which I bought from RCJaz in late 2019. I've just checked my order history and it cost me £133! But I think that might be cheating :ph34r:

44 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

and it cost me £133! But I think that might be cheating :ph34r:

Include or exclude postage? If exclude, then IMHO, is cheating. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Include or exclude postage? If exclude, then IMHO, is cheating. 

Ok, fair enough...40 items in the order, postage was £80. Call it £2 per item, so £135 including postage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Ok, fair enough...40 items in the order, postage was £80. Call it £2 per item, so £135 including postage

As the self declared 'Bernie Ecclestone' of this racing class I am happy to approve your mathematics. Welcome to the class.

Theoretically you'd need to account for inflation to come up with a true value but since Bernie seems happy to dabble in a bit of fraud then I don't see a problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Cuiken said:

As the self declared 'Bernie Ecclestone' of this racing class I am happy to approve your mathematics. Welcome to the class.

Theoretically you'd need to account for inflation to come up with a true value but since Bernie seems happy to dabble in a bit of fraud then I don't see a problem.

Bernie, you the man! I've never once doubted your financial ethics or views on issues of social injustice and equality 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Cuiken said:

Dear Bernie

Can you advise on how I should do the accounting for my pinions? I bought 4 for this build but will only be using one. Can I take 3/4 off the total price I paid for the pinions since I can only use one at a time? 😁

Thank you very much! 

20 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Now, how do I submit the account for the thrust bearings I bought... Got it for £2odd from PJ instead of £9odd in the UK. Got it shipped to another country to save on shipping, £8 vs £28. Order was for 9 items...so £8/9 = 89p for shipping? Do I include the £800 flight ticket to go out and get it back...? 🤔

22 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Dear Bernie

Can you advise on how I should do the accounting for my pinions? I bought 4 for this build but will only be using one. Can I take 3/4 off the total price I paid for the pinions since I can only use one at a time? 😁

Thank you very much! 

Dear Alvin,

Thanks for your enquiry. Since it is clear that you are using only one pinion at a time then you can certainly claim 1/4 the total cost of the four pinions. Lets put the other three down to R&D costs (which clearly comes out of a different, unspecified, budget).

Similarly, travel comes out of another budget again, so your £800 should be filed against either R&D (unspecified budget cap), general travel (unspecified budget cap) or hospitality (unspecified budget cap).

Hope that helps!

Bernie.

Being Bernie is good fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back in character as a 'competitor' in this challenge (no conflict of interest there then), here's an update on my XV01:

RKz0P65.png

Super Mini CVA shocks and XV01 dirt springs from RCJAZ, all within my remaining budget! That soft damper oil that came with them though was not up to the job, it bounced around like mad. Increased it to 800cst at the back and 1000cst in the front and it seems better. Might need thicker still in the front though. I'll see if it calms down a bit once it picks up some grime. Stole the torque tuned from my daughter's buggy until the seller sends out a replacement and upped the pinion to a 24T one I had lieing around.

I also used some velcro to pull the sides of the body shell together a bit in the middle. The HPI shell is not as nice as the tamiya one and without this mod, looks like a jelly mold of a Subaru.

jSEd4po.png

Pretty happy with the body height (trimmed it a bit around the front bumper) so I'll crop the body posts and I think that'll be me done.

Really, it's all gone a bit too easily for my tastes. My mate's TA04 entry is definitely more interesting. On the other hand, an XV01 is a great fun car so I'm sure we'll have a blast racing them.

• Like 3

I think ive probably got enough left over parts from my TA02 Racing Special build, the unused plastics from the Porsche black special Vaillant kit and an old shed of a TA02 I aquired a couple of years ago which had the carbon decks albeit scratched and the gear boxes cracked that need replacing. Plenty of leftover silver cans in the parts boxes too. Just need wheels and some rally tyres (already have imho the best rally body lined up by far as well :wub:)

spacer.png

• Like 1

Some really god stuff (IMHO) turned up on eBay over the weekend.

An XV02 with motor etc went for £240 delivered. Sell the brushless rig and you'd be in budget (was tempted myself).

A TA02 with MAX10 combo and a load of hop ups went for £150. Anyone here go for that one?

An XV01 with a couple of missing parts (gear and belt cover) but a radio that could be resold went for £103!!!!

Makes my XV01 look like less of a bargain :) 

Change of plan for me…I picked this up on a Japanese Auction on Sunday….

spacer.png

Looks to be in mint condition so shouldn't need much other than some rally blocks and a bit of work to maximise the ride height 👍

Auction hammer price was £72, total domestic and international shipping cost is £36, so £108 total 👌

It’s coming by boat mind, so it won’t be racing any time soon 😂

• Like 5

Look at this thing go!!!

But just after this short run, look at what I gathered in the chassis...

I don't care about the cleaning but I had to stop driving regularly because of small stones blocking the steering left or right. Also when changing the battery some stones got themself stuck between the chassis and the battery so now the wrap on my lipo is damaged...  I do need to come up with some kind of undertray/inner wheel wells to keep the dirt on the dirt and not in the chassis of my TA03F.

1 minute ago, Tamiyastef said:

My TT-01(Ra) is the same. I think it must have gained 50% more weight from all the crap it picked up! 

GpR94x3.jpg

13 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

I don't care about the cleaning but I had to stop driving regularly because of small stones blocking the steering left or right. Also when changing the battery some stones got themself stuck between the chassis and the battery so now the wrap on my lipo is damaged...  I do need to come up with some kind of undertray/inner wheel wells to keep the dirt on the dirt and not in the chassis of my TA03F.

Never mind the cleaning, what about the poor cameraman  😳 ? Totally wiped out 😂

Great videos, looks like so much fun 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Great videos, looks like so much fun

Yes it is so much fun! I can't believe I'm into RC for almost 40 years and only just now discovered the fun of RC Rallying. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Look at this thing go!!!

Love the bodyshell. Do you know what, where etc????

3 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Do you know what, where etc????

I believe it to be this one from L&L models

Screenshot_20220907-220431_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220907-220418_Chrome.jpg

but without mounting the black wing. Not really good advertising for L&L as it is sold "already cut" so these are on their account, and yes these are three out of four...

20220907_215647.jpg20220907_215545.jpg20220907_215631.jpg

19 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

I believe it to be this one from L&L models

Screenshot_20220907-220431_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220907-220418_Chrome.jpg

but without mounting the black wing. Not really good advertising for L&L as it is sold "already cut" so these are on their account, and yes these are three out of four...

20220907_215647.jpg20220907_215545.jpg20220907_215631.jpg

Even worse than my cutting out!!!! Yes I’d found this on their site. Cheapish shell but where are you based outer space. Postage is horrendous!!! And they’re sold out!!!