Cuiken

Silver can budget rally build off

My TT02S arrived today, so I'll crack on with it over the weekend. Have plenty of PS-16 to paint the shell, depending how friendly the weather is (though I'll likely just check whether to add more pearl and how to back using some offcuts).

The big and relevant questions relates to the surprising observation that I haven't built a gear diff since my Optima 30 years ago! Am I right that a rally car runs better with a tighter front diff? And one easy way is to use some anti wear grease instead of the regular? If so, how much? I'm guessing I can add a small amount, try it by hand and then add more and repeat. I guess my question is thus "how much is too much?". 

In my experience, yes, a bit stiffer front diff does help. At least it has worked well on my XV01s.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the T02S comes with non sealed diffs?

If so, then options are a little more limited than with a sealed diff setup (where you'd just add thicker silicone oil). I might try filling with a really heavy conventional grease (this sort of stuff https://quadbikeswales.co.uk/maxima-grease-waterproof-453-59-ml-16-oz-blue.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmouZBhDSARIsALYcoupanP4r12gXaZwoPBABUQHofjkeW1X1E6qGxvMU_y0pJl_t79xlpgUaAk7yEALw_wcB).

If that doesn't create enough of an effect you could maybe try the silicone earplug trick?

So I have totalled up my build cost. Comes in at just a few p short of the limit. Build will commence next month.

BUDGET SILVER CAN RALLY BUILD OFF CHALLENGE
Item Cost From
TA-02 Opel Calibra V6 £131.17 Amazon
High Speed Gear Set £9.17 Ebay
Bearings £13.99 Ebay
Pinion £4.99 Ebay
One-Piece Ball Thrust Bearing £3.17 PJ
R31House Servo Saver £4.21 PJ
GPM Motor Mount £10.25 AT
GPM Aluminum Servo Mount £4.79 AT
JX Servo 15Kg £10.63 AT
RX £7.03 AE
TOTAL £199.40  

15 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

So I have totalled up my build cost. Comes in at just a few p short of the limit. Build will commence next month.

BUDGET SILVER CAN RALLY BUILD OFF CHALLENGE
Item Cost From
TA-02 Opel Calibra V6 £131.17 Amazon
High Speed Gear Set £9.17 Ebay
Bearings £13.99 Ebay
Pinion £4.99 Ebay
One-Piece Ball Thrust Bearing £3.17 PJ
R31House Servo Saver £4.21 PJ
GPM Motor Mount £10.25 AT
GPM Aluminum Servo Mount £4.79 AT
JX Servo 15Kg £10.63 AT
RX £7.03 AE
TOTAL £199.40  

Nailed it! Bernie approves.

• Haha 1

Okay, so I had 30 minutes messing around with my newly acquired TA02. It definitely needs more ride height and this is easily achieved by removing one or both of the internal spacers from the shocks.

I was thinking of removing the larger v3 spacers in the first instance (leaving the smaller V1 spacers in place) and seeing how that goes.

@TurnipJF, did you leave any of the spacers inside the shocks for your TA02 Audi Rally car? Ride height looks about right.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cuiken said:

Okay, so I had 30 minutes messing around with my newly acquired TA02. It definitely needs more ride height and this is easily achieved by removing one or both of the internal spacers from the shocks.

I was thinking of removing the larger v3 spacers in the first instance (leaving the smaller V1 spacers in place) and seeing how that goes.

@TurnipJF, did you leave any of the spacers inside the shocks for your TA02 Audi Rally car? Ride height looks about right.

I'll need to double check my build photos to be certain, but I seem to remember using just the V1 spacers inside the shocks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 10:11 AM, Cuiken said:

All that said, it's certainly 'in class' if someone fancies a shot with one.

Dear Bernie 

If I am to get the MF-01X Suzuki Jimny, it comes with a Torque Tuned out of the box. Is this class silver can only or stock only? Do I need to swap out the TT for a silver can (not a problem since I already ordered the speed gear set)? If so, do I need to include the cost of a silver can in the total? 

Thank you for taking time off your fraudulent activities to answer my question. 

Alvin 

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2022 at 11:23 PM, alvinlwh said:

Dear Bernie 

If I am to get the MF-01X Suzuki Jimny, it comes with a Torque Tuned out of the box. Is this class silver can only or stock only? Do I need to swap out the TT for a silver can (not a problem since I already ordered the speed gear set)? If so, do I need to include the cost of a silver can in the total? 

Thank you for taking time off your fraudulent activities to answer my question. 

Alvin 

Dear Alvin,

Thanks for your enquiry. Apologies for the delay in responding. I had a busy weekend extracting myself from some arrangements I had with Russia. Nothing for you (or the UK government) to worry about.

Yes, absolutely, The Torque Tuned is in play. I think the definition of silver-can includes the stock motor plus Torque Tuned and Sport Tuned. Sport Tuned might seem a bit of a push but, at least in my experience, they end up needing to be geared down a little to avoid overheating so don't end up dramatically faster than a stock can. By including all three motor varieties I figured we can choose to trade off torque vs top speed.

Hope that helps!

Bernie 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/16/2022 at 11:39 PM, TurnipJF said:

I'll need to double check my build photos to be certain, but I seem to remember using just the V1 spacers inside the shocks. 

Did a bit of messing around last night and found that using just the V1 spacers left the dog bones on my car looking perilously close to popping out at full droop.

In the end I've opted for V1 spacer plus a silicone o-ring. The car actually sits pretty high now but the dog bones appear secure. It might actually be too high so I'll maybe revert to using the V3 spacer at some point. Not yet tried it out but I'll report back on how it handles.

As an aside, I was away at the weekend and found this spot just outside Aviemore. I hade no RC cars with me but it looked like the ideal spot to mark out a rally course:

rUrtCFW.png

Lastly, I got the TA03F all serviced and reassembled. I even managed to salvage the battered shell with some shoo goo and tape:

QvuFf7g.png

Total spend on this car remains very low. £70 purchase - sales of radio and ESC bring it in at ~£30! I've had to ball race the car and splashed out on a torque splitter (£25) but even then it's only £80 and drives superbly.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Cuiken said:

As an aside, I was away at the weekend and found this spot just outside Aviemore. I hade no RC cars with me but it looked like the ideal spot to mark out a rally course:

rUrtCFW.png

Lastly, I got the TA03F all serviced and reassembled. I even managed to salvage the battered shell with some shoo goo and tape:

QvuFf7g.png

Total spend on this car remains very low. £70 purchase - sales of radio and ESC bring it in at ~£30! I've had to ball race the car and splashed out on a torque splitter (£25) but even then it's only £80 and drives superbly.

Looks like you’ve done some Bernie type maths!!! £70+£30+£25 = £80 . Wow please show me how to do this so I can she my wife my cheap purchases!!!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Looks like you’ve done some Bernie type maths!!! £70+£30+£25 = £80 . Wow please show me how to do this so I can she my wife my cheap purchases!!!

I'm definitely no stranger to creative mathematics but I think I can back this particular claim up :) 

Car = £70

Sales of Radio and ESC that came with car = -£40

Torque splitter = £25

Ballraces = £15

So, that makes.... Ohh wait, it's £70 :lol: Turns out my maths is even worse than I thought.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

That's spot on :D Fantastic place to mark out a rally course!

We're going back next spring. I'll be better prepared on that occasion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuiken said:

Dear Alvin,

Thanks for your enquiry. Apologies for the delay in responding. I had a busy weekend extracting myself from some arrangements I had with Russia. Nothing for you (or the UK government) to worry about.

Yes, absolutely, The Torque Tuned is in play. I think the definition of silver-can includes the stock motor plus Torque Tuned and Sport Tuned. Sport Tuned might seem a bit of a push but, at least in my experience, they end up needing to be geared down a little to avoid overheating so don't end up dramatically faster than a stock can. By including all three motor varieties I figured we can choose to trade off torque vs top speed.

Hope that helps!

Bernie 

Dear Bernie 

Thank you for taking your time replying to my queries. I am off to order a MF-01X now, having ordered a few hopups before the kit (talk about horses and carts eh?). 

Alvin

PS in return for your assistance, I will be in Singapore in 2 weeks time and can help you retrieve your dirty money stashed there. I only request for a 45% expenses off the total. Meaning:

£200m or €300m or US$350m 

Calculated using your excellent calculator. 

13 minutes ago, Cuiken said:

I'm definitely no stranger to creative mathematics but I think I can back this particular claim up :) 

Car = £70

Torque splitter = £25

Ballraces = £15

So, that makes.... Ohh wait, it's £70 :lol: Turns out my maths is even worse than I thought.

Ahhh missed the minus sign and the sale bit. I presume that you are using existing radio then?  I’m sure that must carry some benefit in kind value for tax purposes 🤭

• Like 1

Just gave the TA02 a very quick test run. Mods since I bought it:

1. Trimmed body way back (the calibra shell is very low).
  2. Removed the V3 internal spacer from the shocks and replaced with a silicone o=ring along with the V1 spacer. Loads of ride height now.
  3. Swapped 21T pinion for a 16T pinion (since it came with a 4000kv MAX10 combo and so is plenty fast enough).
  4. Added 800cst oil to the shocks for more damping.

Results:

1. It's still very fast.
  2. The body still rubs on the ground even with the front spoiler fully removed.
  3. Turn in is surprisingly good for a rear motor mounted chassis
  4. Not quite as refined as the TA03 but still great fun. Probably needs a bit more fettling to get it right.
  5. Need to figure out how to mount a urethane bumper in there somehow.

Next steps.

1. Might add bump stops to the front shocks to prevent the shell catching the ground.
  2. Try different shock oil to make it a bit less bouncy. I'm never sure on this. Is it 'skittering' around because the shocks are too 'slow' or bouncing because it's underdamped?
  3. I bought a one-way diff insert (53200) that I might add. Probably want to get used to the stock setup first though

2 hours ago, Cuiken said:

Hang on, you sold the radio and ESC that came with the car, then how do you make it move now? Push along? 

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

Ahhh missed the minus sign and the sale bit. I presume that you are using existing radio then?  I’m sure that must carry some benefit in kind value for tax purposes 🤭

Knowing Bernie, if it comes from Singapore, it does not count towards tax. Now come to think about it, any of my purchase when I am in Singapore in two weeks time will not be counted towards the total for this build off. What happens in Singapore stays in Singapore. 😁

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Hang on, you sold the radio and ESC that came with the car, then how do you make it move now? Push along? 

Tow it along on a string.....

It's all within the rules! You can raid your own parts box :). I just happen to have an ancient HW1060 and a few silver cans pulled out of previous builds.

Granted, this particular rule favours people who have been into RC for a while and is totally unfair for new entrants into the class. In that regard I feel it accurately mirrors the advantage that exists in Bernie's side project (F1) for established teams :) It's what he would want.

It's all very carefully worked out!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Cuiken said:

It's what he would want.

Dear Bernie

I assume what happen in Singapore stay in Singapore and do not count towards my budget? 😂

Thank you.

Alvin 

14 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Dear Bernie

I assume what happen in Singapore stay in Singapore and do not count towards my budget? 😂

Thank you.

Alvin 

Not that I consider myself to be an expert, but Ithink aa key aspect of successful fraud is not documenting the intention on an internet forum 😂

Nonetheless I would say this:

Naturally, individual teams must lean on whatever international resources they may be able to bring to bear on the problem. It is, of course, up to individual teams see that the highest moral standards are maintained within the class and we support a self-policing policy to that end.

I am sure this clarifies things.

Yours,

Bernie.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cuiken said:

Tow it along on a string.....

It's all within the rules! You can raid your own parts box :). I just happen to have an ancient HW1060 and a few silver cans pulled out of previous builds.

Granted, this particular rule favours people who have been into RC for a while and is totally unfair for new entrants into the class. In that regard I feel it accurately mirrors the advantage that exists in Bernie's side project (F1) for established teams :) It's what he would want.

It's all very carefully worked out!

That's is how I'm claiming to be in budget.

By allegedly pulling the ESC from my Avante, then simultaneously replacing it with an identical model.

I would be grateful if Bernie could turn a blind eye to how the double sided mounting tape appears to be undisturbed during the process.

• Haha 2

On a more serious note, was pricing up for the MF-01X build and got hit by the ever falling pound. Seeing prices rising right before my very eyes. For example, 50746 from AT was £9.42 last week and £9.48 today. Not a lot, but sign of things to come. 😭

11 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

On a more serious note, was pricing up for the MF-01X build and got hit by the ever falling pound. Seeing prices rising right before my very eyes. For example, 50746 from AT was £9.42 last week and £9.48 today. Not a lot, but sign of things to come. 😭

At the risk of slipping out of character. Yeah, it's definitely going to start to bite soon.