Cuiken

Silver can budget rally build off

13 minutes ago, Cuiken said:

At the risk of slipping out of character. Yeah, it's definitely going to start to bite soon.

That is why this build off is such a great idea. Limit on the spend. 

15 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

And a race against time (inflation)

11 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

And a race against time (inflation)

I brought it up before. The Neo is now £80 vs its lowest (Christmas last year?) £72.

And again a few weeks ago. 

Effectively, I am now on a spend to save mode, if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I brought it up before. The Neo is now £80 vs its lowest (Christmas last year?) £72.

And again a few weeks ago. 

Effectively, I am now on a spend to save mode, if that makes sense. 

These are excellent points! The Neo Fighter Price Index will now become my go-to indicator of the economic health of the nation.

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

With the way you guys are doing the accounts I don’t think this really counts. 🤨 Are any of you close enough to each other to actually race or is it going to be an honour system like postal racing🤥

17 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

With the way you guys are doing the accounts I don’t think this really counts. 🤨 Are any of you close enough to each other to actually race or is it going to be an honour system like postal racing🤥

Yeah, that is probably the single largest flaw in this otherwise brilliant idea. Actually being able to race each other.

I guess the aim is to share details on builds and then report back on any racing done. I'm lucky enough to have a mate nearby who's been prepping a TA-04 and we had a first race last week. Actually I should probably report on that.

Two, five lap races of our carpark course. I was using my XV-01, him with his TA-04. My mate won the first race but it was a proper photo finish. Then we swapped cars and he annihilated me :rolleyes:

Might sound like a fairly minimal amount of racing but actual racing was delayed by pre-race tuning of the cars and then cut short by my motor burning out. Planning to try again this weekend.

50 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Hey, I was being honest with this account. 

No fudging the numbers, no "from spares box". While the PJ and AT postage are divided by number of items in that order, it was approved. 

But realistically, the impact is relatively minor as in some orders, it was parts only, so postage was low. But this is offset by some orders which include some Mini 4WD, which pushes the postage up. So I think it evens things out. As my main kit (heaviest item) was UK sourced, I do not have a huge postage bill to offset. 

33 minutes ago, Cuiken said:

Yeah, that is probably the single largest flaw in this otherwise brilliant idea. Actually being able to race each other.

It is still a brilliant idea, limiting my spending on a kit rather than grabbing all the hop ups I can. All the more important today. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Tbh I'm mostly planning on using what I build for the postal racing. I'm currently pretending that the biggest issue is that I'm running buggies on grass. Definitely nothing to do with the driver. Definitely not.

• Haha 1

I’m only joking guys. I think it’s a brilliant idea. I have a TA02 to build but it’s more likely to be a tarmac/ tennis court type of car. Mind you they have tarmac rallies and I have a 6R4 shell that would fit. 🤔 spec would be almost identical to @alvinlwh’s !!!

46 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

tarmac/ tennis court type of car.

I am sick of my tarmac cars running tyres down in just 3 or 4 packs which is why I am now interested in this rally build off. Don't need to spend a fortune on tyres off roading. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Busdriver said:

We're a few pages in so,  just for clarity:

The original rules stipulated a total £200 or less with the following guidance:

1. Money spent on the car or any parts for the car must be deducted from the budget
  2. Any components that come with a purchased car or kit that are not being used (a brushless motor/ESC or receiver/transmitter for example) can be sold on with revenue from sale added back onto available budget
  3. You can raid your own spares box. My thinking on this would be things like wheels/tyres, receiver, brushed motor and/or ESC, servo etc

I think an area of ambiguity is the sale of things from your spares box to fund the car. This could get tricky as I probably have a couple of hundred quid's worth of stuff in my spares box that I could sell if I include wheels, motors etc.

Probably what matters here is staying in the spirit of the rules.

For my part I'm enjoying the budget constraint (says the chump who's bought three cars). If the car doesn't need to do 40mph, like Alvin says, it probably doesn't need all the hop ups. In that case, how much less fun does the car become? So far, not much :) 

Planning another tarmac rally stage this weekend. I have high hopes for my lower geared XV01. Well, in as much as I hope the motor doesn't melt this time.

There's a point, I'm down to my last silver can motor in the spares box. If I smoke this one I'm not sure what the rules will need to be regards repair costs :) 

• Like 1

For me, the fun part of this build is asking Bernie for advice on accounting. 😁

The real challenge is to limit my spend, instead of spending more than the cost of the kit on hopups. Really makes me think hard and ask for advice (as seen on multiple prebuild/purchase threads) on what to buy. An additional benefit is that I really have to search hard for the cheapest possible place to buy from. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cuiken said:

We're a few pages in so,  just for clarity:

The original rules stipulated a total £200 or less with the following guidance:

1. Money spent on the car or any parts for the car must be deducted from the budget
  2. Any components that come with a purchased car or kit that are not being used (a brushless motor/ESC or receiver/transmitter for example) can be sold on with revenue from sale added back onto available budget
  3. You can raid your own spares box. My thinking on this would be things like wheels/tyres, receiver, brushed motor and/or ESC, servo etc

I think an area of ambiguity is the sale of things from your spares box to fund the car. This could get tricky as I probably have a couple of hundred quid's worth of stuff in my spares box that I could sell if I include wheels, motors etc.

Probably what matters here is staying in the spirit of the rules.

For my part I'm enjoying the budget constraint (says the chump who's bought three cars). If the car doesn't need to do 40mph, like Alvin says, it probably doesn't need all the hop ups. In that case, how much less fun does the car become? So far, not much :) 

Planning another tarmac rally stage this weekend. I have high hopes for my lower geared XV01. Well, in as much as I hope the motor doesn't melt this time.

There's a point, I'm down to my last silver can motor in the spares box. If I smoke this one I'm not sure what the rules will need to be regards repair costs :) 

If you need a couple silver cans I could help you out 😉

All being well I should be able to start my build this weekend - the parts below are where Im at - Actual direct expenditure for build to date is;

Base is a very well used TA02 donor chassis - recall was about £50 (carbon chassis plates, no dampers or lower arms, broken gearbox covers and cracked uprights, some internal ironmongery and did have turnbuckles, also about eight tons of some black automotive cv joint grease or similar caked into everything) No electronics.
New wheels and rally tyres - 12.39
New servo - 21.50
New reciever - 30.99
New Hi Torqe servo saver - 11.70
New aluminium servo mounts - 11
New TA02 A Parts tree - 14.99
New bearings - 13.99
New alloy prop shaft - 12.99
New Fastrax (I think, its blue) alloy motor mount - 7.99
New steel pinion - 4.99

Total - £192.53

Other bits left over in spares box I will be using which I think I get free based on Bernies rules (?)

Uprights - narrow blue ones, left over from prior TA02W build

Front and rear arms - left over from TA02SW build

CVA dampers + touring car spring set - left over after upgrading TA02SW build to low friction dampers.

Diff parts and gears - salvaged from old Top Force build when changing to Manta Ray internals and using EVO diffs on the Racing Special.

Silver can - ive got probably about 20+ of these left over

ESC - TBLE02s, again got about five or six of these unused from previous kits

Screws and fixings - millions in spares box

Body + decals - reclaimed from a TL01 build (previously painted, now stripped but very cracked and needs some repairs - ideal basher though)

Misc; Paint, grease, lots of fairy liquid, shoe goo and some mesh, double sided tape etc.

I think the new electronics cost is denting mine a bit! The Absima transmitter I have only seems to work with a specifc type of receiver signal so each runner I have I end up getting a new one (which was a reasonable chunk of the new costs)

37 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I think the new electronics cost is denting mine a bit! The Absima transmitter I have only seems to work with a specifc type of receiver signal so each runner I have I end up getting a new one (which was a reasonable chunk of the new costs)

That's the thing. I have a totally spare 27MHz setup (with a bunch of receivers and servos). No I'm not going to use them.

I bumped to a FlySky G7P transmitter early this year which I'm really pleased with, but it means I'm currently hitting £12.50-£15 per kit adding compatible Absima receivers. Whatever - I'm excluding it from my budget (and thus missing the £200 mark by my other buggies being runners). I'm with @alvinlwh - the fun for me here is not the competition, but actually thinking about what I'm spending my money on. Turns out I like new over used, and after researching the heck out of what makes a nice Tamiya Rally car I want a TT02S over base TT02. So I'm at £194.85 + electronics. Will I go spend an extra £10 on a basher shell to make the rest of the budget line up (i.e. £20 less than the 07 WRX I've got)? No that's just ridiculous man maths :).

6 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

That's the thing. I have a totally spare 27MHz setup (with a bunch of receivers and servos). No I'm not going to use them.

I bumped to a FlySky G7P transmitter which I'm really pleased with, but it means I'm currently hitting £12.50-£15 per kit adding compatible Absima receivers. Whatever - I'm excluding it from my budget (and missing the £200 mark by all my cars being runners). But I'm with @alvinlwh

Yeah in hindsight I screwed up a bit. I only bought the CR6P transmitter set as I wanted the extra channels / toggle switches to use on a Bruiser for the gear box selector. I ran it twice then was too scrared Id break it but should have bought another transmitter set for the rest of my runners that only need the normal two channels. The CR6P uses some unique signal that doesnt seem to work with any of the other (cheaper) Absima receievera so every time I want a new one its £30 to £40 a pop.

3 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Yeah in hindsight I screwed up a bit. I only bought the CR6P transmitter set as I wanted the extra channels / toggle switches to use on a Bruiser for the gear box selector. I ran it twice then was too scrared Id break it but should have bought another transmitter set for the rest of my runners that only need the normal two channels. The CR6P uses some unique signal that doesnt seem to work with any of the other (cheaper) Absima receievera so every time I want a new one its £30 to £40 a pop.

Ouch. Amusingly I now see Absima sell the CR7P which is the exact same thing as my Flysky (7ch). But I definitely did not spend the £120 the Absima unit goes for. £60 extra for a sponge wheel :blink:.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

Ouch. Amusingly I now see Absima sell the CR7P which is the exact same thing as my Flysky (7ch). But I definitely did not spend the £120 the Absima unit goes for. £60 extra for a sponge wheel :blink:.

Thats interesting you mention that there may be some cross compatibility between Flysky and Absima - if theres a 6 channel Flysky RX out there it may use the same coded signal and be a more economical option. Will investigate further!!

@naturbo2000 and @Superluminal try a Flysky RX from Aliexpress. They go for less than half the price of an Absima one, so if it works, great! Buy more. If it don't, well, no big lost (usually). I only have a CR3P, and the 3ch RX from Aliexpress only costs £14 for a twin pack, less than a single Absima one. 

EDIT: had a quick look, the RX for a C7P costs ~£15, far cheaper than the £30 to £40 of an Absima RX. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

All being well I should be able to start my build this weekend

Perhaps start a build thread and post its link here as well. You can list all the details there instead of it getting lost here as more pages of posts are added? That is how I am planning to go about recording when I start my build next month. Only major updates in to this thread. 

On 9/21/2022 at 5:45 PM, Busdriver said:

If you need a couple silver cans I could help you out 😉

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Superluminal said:

All being well I should be able to start my build this weekend - the parts below are where Im at - Actual direct expenditure for build to date is;

Base is a very well used TA02 donor chassis - recall was about £50 (carbon chassis plates, no dampers or lower arms, broken gearbox covers and cracked uprights, some internal ironmongery and did have turnbuckles, also about eight tons of some black automotive cv joint grease or similar caked into everything) No electronics.
New wheels and rally tyres - 12.39
New servo - 21.50
New reciever - 30.99
New Hi Torqe servo saver - 11.70
New aluminium servo mounts - 11
New TA02 A Parts tree - 14.99
New bearings - 13.99
New alloy prop shaft - 12.99
New Fastrax (I think, its blue) alloy motor mount - 7.99
New steel pinion - 4.99

Total - £192.53

Other bits left over in spares box I will be using which I think I get free based on Bernies rules (?)

Uprights - narrow blue ones, left over from prior TA02W build

Front and rear arms - left over from TA02SW build

CVA dampers + touring car spring set - left over after upgrading TA02SW build to low friction dampers.

Diff parts and gears - salvaged from old Top Force build when changing to Manta Ray internals and using EVO diffs on the Racing Special.

Screws and fixings - millions in spares box

Body + decals - reclaimed from a TL01 build (previously painted, now stripped but very cracked and needs some repairs - ideal basher though)

Misc; Paint, grease, lots of fairy liquid, shoe goo and some mesh, double sided tape etc.

Bernie definitely approves :) 

I was basically counting on most people being in the above position.

BTW, regards cracked bodies, I've had way better success than I expected with scrim tape and shoo goo on two of the shells I've been working with.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Cuiken said:

BTW, regards cracked bodies, I've had way better success than I expected with scrim tape and shoo goo on two of the shells I've been working with.

Im quite glad to here that - i bought a tube of it and some mesh to have a go at it. Have you had any issues with the glue reacting with the paint? It smells nice and solventy

35 minutes ago, Cuiken said:

My TA-02 comes with a TBLE which BEC will be underpowered to power the servo (2.5A, so I swapped it with a 1060 that was unused from a Frog kit (with I used another TBLE). I am sure that's OK?