Cuiken

Silver can budget rally build off

Quick update for anyone considering a TA02 build. My own TA02 is not 'in class' but it's still been an interesting car to run. It's a surprisingly decent chassis (given its age), the shocks are easily extended (I removed the V3 spacer and added a shock o-ring with the remaining V1 spacer) and the Calibra shell can be cut back (fairly dramatically) to work with a rally car. Leaves you with this:

ssGKl3i.png

Only issue I had with it was that the front bumper provides hee-haw protection, especially for the shell. Clearly nobody at Tamiya had embraced urethane bumpers back in the early '90s. So, I bodged in a urethane bumper as below and it fits great. Required a bit of dremmeling of the existing bumper but only took a few minutes.

1eYPr31.png

hiy6grk.png

4MZZ480.png

vcphK22.png

Aaytpp2.png

vVysq7c.png

• Like 7

@Cuiken I really like the look of your Rallye-Calibra. Pretty cool.

Over the past weeks I followed this thread and was permanently tempted to step into the build-off as I really would like to have a rallye car. Problem is that my RC budget is more than tight currently due to unknown energy costs for the near future. Even £200 or €225 from today's exchange rate were too much. But today I stumbled across an offer from RC Kleinkram which were too good to refuse. So I've ordered:

58625 Nissan GT-R Motul TT-02 kit for €74,90 (no ESC included)

Killerbody Subaru BRZ body set for €30,90 (as the GT-R body is not so much rallye)

2 pairs of Tamiya 50476 rally block tires plus inserts for €28,70

Overall €134,50. The GT-R body set will be sold directly so I guess I can subtract around €30 again. As I have a rallye cockpit, ESC, motor in my store I will not have to buy them. Also bearings should be there. Only the oil dampers may be needed, but I will have a closer look into the damper box. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Superluminal said:

It's Alive!!!!!!!

spacer.png

Just body to do now.

That looks ace! Build thread is very helpful too.

• Like 1

Sadly no RC fun for me this weekend.

I've been building secondary glazing units for the house instead which, it turns out, is my new least favourite DIY task.....

On the upside, my Datsun 240Z shell arrived and is absolutely stunning. Can't wait to get to work on it (Xmas project).

Hurrah! My entry into this 'build-off' arrived today 😃. I put build off in inverted commas because, well....it's already built 😂

But it's absolutely immaculate, right down to the box and manual. I absolutely love how these older kits came with a colour postcard of the car in action 🥰

spacer.png

The body shell is perfect, no splits or cracks. A few of the stickers need a little bit of hairdryer support, but other than that it's mint

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As is the chassis itself, which to all intents and purposes looks like it has never been run

spacer.png

spacer.png

The diffs turn nice and smoothly, everything else feels lock-tight, there's a silver-can included, so all in all I'm delighted 😃

I'm going to take it apart and rebuild it, just so that it qualifies as a 'build-off' and I can try and hoik the ground clearance a bit. I've got rally blocks, a receiver and a TBLE-02S in the garage, so all it will need is a servo

So, in terms of the finances (conscious of Bernie's @Cuiken's impeccably high standards for financial due-diligence)

• Purchase price including fees : 12,000 JPY / £78
  • I then bought four other items and combined them with this for international shipping, with the intention of selling three of those items for a profit to offset shipping costs. Total package invoice 20,160 JPY / £130
  • Total domestic and international shipping fees for all five items: 12065 JPY  / £78
  • So total invoice plus shipping cost: £208. Call it £210

My intention is to sell the three makeweights for IRO £100 after eBay fees and shipping, which brings the cost down to £110. The other item in the package that I am keeping is two pairs of Mondeo Rims (50550) which cost 1,944 JPY / £13, which brings it down to just under £100

Let's call it an even £100 for the mint condition TA03-F Subaru Impreza, leaving plenty of headroom for a servo

How does Bernie like the sound of them apples? 

• Like 8

That's a great find @Juhunio. If you currently try finding something like that on the standard sites here in Germany you will get something beaten up for that price. Yours looks gorgeous.

• Like 1

I'm also starting building the TT-02 and almost managed to complete the chassis. Only minor steps to do like wiring and body posts.

Next will be trimming and masking of the body. Problem is that I'm not sure which livery to go at the moment. Have to search the internet for inspiration once more.

Budget wise I'm currently around 170€ but the original GT-R body is not sold now. 

Edit: Finished the chassis today including the cover. My wiring is a mess, but I like my electronics to be interchangeable so I don't cut any wires.

IMG20221008182019_DJrzpFVM41.thumb.jpeg.03caf6a2ed3f660fb8aea4352a86ad3e.jpeg

Edited by Aerobert
  • Like 3

Loving this thread! Motivating!

End of 2020  I started building rally themes on older TRF’s chassis I’ve accumulated over the years. I should start a thread to document and motivate the process. Focus does go heavily on the body shell itself but I’ve done some chassis modifications as well to help accommodate the needs more.

9E9C4BEB-A173-4B99-B054-A68AFEE955DF.jpeg

4074429F-7EF9-4E8B-AD4C-2B0F941D5F9A.jpeg

CD32A053-AF08-49BC-A1FF-0F143854CD0B.jpeg

F9119E7B-1B03-4D55-99F1-479929F8D5C3.jpeg

109004C2-CF5C-4ED2-A89C-783A7BAF37FB.jpeg

ECA3B35B-59FB-4750-97C0-8FE199BBBCA4.jpeg

C258F21E-3DF8-4A00-9A10-C764A08FF010.jpeg

10538770-B637-4DCF-AEF0-8A2D4A8E75CB.jpeg

540DAD64-303A-425F-9E11-5AD0CB5227CC.jpeg

• Like 9

On 10/8/2022 at 10:41 AM, Aerobert said:

That's a great find @Juhunio. If you currently try finding something like that on the standard sites here in Germany you will get something beaten up for that price. Yours looks gorgeous.

Cheers!

Your TT02 is looking good, I suspect that the chassis cover is going to be the best Hop Up of all 😃. I'm going to see if I can work something out for the TA03...

I think I had seen FF mentioned somewhere but don't recall an answer. If there is one, apologies. 

Just picked this up today, S$150 ~ £94.42. Can a FF-03 be made into a rally car easily without expansive mods/parts swap? 

3JS1wUZ.jpg

If yes, this will be my second entry (still not gotten a MF-01X yet 😅). 

On 9/27/2022 at 8:18 AM, Cuiken said:

Only issue I had with it was that the front bumper provides hee-haw protection, especially for the shell. Clearly nobody at Tamiya had embraced urethane bumpers back in the early '90s. So, I bodged in a urethane bumper as below and it fits great. Required a bit of dremmeling of the existing bumper but only took a few minutes.

Aaytpp2.png

vVysq7c.png

Your TA02 bumper mod looks great 👍 FYI, Tamiya did release a urethane bumper set for the TA02, part number 53145. Pretty hard to find though...

Some cleverclogs has created a 3D printed version available from Shapeways 

Mailman came by today, delivered the rest of my entry. At the end decided to forego the TT-02 cover and go with better shocks. I will probably drive the car on parks over concrete/asphalt anyway. Still maybe I build my own cover out of spare plastic.

My final list:

Tamiya 58667 TT-02 Audi Quattro Kit - $114.90
FlySky GR3E Receiver - $6.62
JX DC6015 Servo - $10.49
Tamiya 54249 3x32mm Turnbuckle - $2.91
Tamiya 54247 3x23mm Turnbuckle - $2.91
Tamiya 54247 3x18mm Turnbuckle - $2.91
Tamiya 50875 5mm Ball Connector -$1.59
Heatsink 3Racing - $3.33
Tamiya 54491 Rally Cockpit - $13.31
Tamiya 53155 Low Friction Aluminum Damper (2) x2 - $25.19
Bearings - $9.99
HC Pinion - $4.50
Tamiya 53156 Hard Inner Sponge Touring - $2.19
3Racing High-Torque Servo Saver (3RAC-SHAMU) - $2.59
Screenprintdigital - Clarion Audi Quattro Stickers - $15.67
TOTAL (USD) - $219.09
TOTAL (Pound) - $195.94

The kit's included TBLE-04 ESC will be replaced by a HW1060 and the rally block tires by something more street-oriented.

The kit already arrived earlier this week and already managed to get the body painted :) Sticker treatment and chassis build will be done over the weekend. I've already built several TT-02s so this one should be quick. I already had a rally cockpit on-hand so this got painted last week ahead of time. Teaser below!!

Audi-07.JPG.8cb29750f04dd9b9827d4c7955fbf589.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Audi-07.JPG.8cb29750f04dd9b9827d4c7955fbf589.JPG

I love that your driver looks like Benicio Del Toro 👍

• Like 4

4 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

At the end decided to forego the TT-02 cover

I have been running a TT-02 rally for a few months. I never fitted the cover as it was either back order or almost comically overpriced. What I did instead, that worked perfectly, was inspired by the XV-01 servo compartment. Instead of trying and failing to prevent rocks and pebbles and sand from getting in, I drilled generous holes in the chassis to let them out. I used a forstner bit in a drill press. Added holes from one run to the next until the debris problem was solved. Since we like talking budget on this here thread drilling holes is free 😘

PXL_20221013_173851891.jpg

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

drilling holes

That might solve my TA03F's steering blockage problem. I solved it for now by getting myself an XV01 :D

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

That might solve my TA03F's steering blockage problem. I solved it for now by getting myself an XV01 :D

You also probably need to protect the belt from sucking in debris at the rear pulley? All this really depends on the surface you are running on obviously.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I love that your driver looks like Benicio Del Toro 👍

Indeed! :D

they-reportedly-got-together-at-a-hollyw

Audi-07.JPG

The actual pilot is Per Eklund:

Per Eklund profile on SnapLap

and copilot Bjorn Cederberg:

Shekhar Bhagat on Twitter: "Happy 77th birthday, Bjorn Cederberg, winner of  10 WRC rallies & the 1984 WRC Champion. @McKlein_Rally  http://t.co/TGnDJtDas0" #champ #hbd" / Twitter

Stayed late last night and was able to finish the body (fitted into another chassis):

Audi-05.JPG.f9192c8f4d457486d6df57b9e3c846ab.JPG

Other random quattro images - Classic Audi

• Like 8

Stunning work as always @OoALEJOoO, it was worth the late night 😊

And I in no way meant to insult your likeness of the great Per Eklund 🙏 

14 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

You also probably need to protect the belt from sucking in debris at the rear pulley? All this really depends on the surface you are running on obviously.

For me it's mostly small rocks and pebbles. They get between the pulley and belt but don't get stuck there. They do get stuck between the steering assembly and the chassis blocking the steering very regularly. That really sucks the joy out of running this chassis while the handling feels really good and the sight of the car rallying around is just superb. 

• Like 1

The bumper arrived today, so I now have everything I need to rebuild my TA03-F entry

spacer.png

Everything is nice and clean and ready to rebuild...

spacer.png

Current running budget total is £187.04, with one more item that came with it left to sell to offset some of that 🤞

• Like 2

Managed to finish the car after a marathon build on Saturday:

Audi-01.JPG

The chassis got together fairly straightforward. I must say those low-friction dampers are quite a treat, makes me wish Tamiya offered them in a different color instead of pink, but that's just nitpicking. Settled with a set of MST LTX Rally tires instead of the kit's rally blocks as it is intended for tarmac rally events. It would be great to mimic the tarmac stages at Spain, Japan and Germany of the Colin McRae 04 and 2005 video games!

Audi-10.JPG.9dfa6cdd3a96b538123e0d4998599780.JPG

For the moment just a pair of front fenders have been made. I'll see how these perform and later decide whether to make a full chassis cover.

Audi-09.JPG.e556804445b422c5d24494acc926e3e4.JPG

• Like 3

So my TA03F-R(ally) is rebuilt!

As detailed in my TA03 build / projects thread, I've left out the torque splitter for now and built the diffs to manual-spec, fairly loose with just some ceramic grease. 

I want to be able to access the front diff as easily as possible so I can tighten it up with AW grease if it needs more traction, so I replaced the front 38mm screw pins with some 41mm shafts from the spares pots so the diff cover can be removed without having to take the whole front end off the chassis

spacer.png

spacer.png

The increased ride height worked out really well, here's a comparison with my TA03F-Pro DJ 

spacer.png

And here she is, ready to go!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ha! Just noticed that the bokeh effect in that photo has erased the body posts...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

spacer.png

Such a beauty. Hopefully it will not be harmed in hard rally stages.

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 9:20 PM, OoALEJOoO said:

Managed to finish the car after a marathon build on Saturday:

Audi-01.JPG

The chassis got together fairly straightforward. I must say those low-friction dampers are quite a treat, makes me wish Tamiya offered them in a different color instead of pink, but that's just nitpicking. Settled with a set of MST LTX Rally tires instead of the kit's rally blocks as it is intended for tarmac rally events. It would be great to mimic the tarmac stages at Spain, Japan and Germany of the Colin McRae 04 and 2005 video games!

Audi-10.JPG.9dfa6cdd3a96b538123e0d4998599780.JPG

For the moment just a pair of front fenders have been made. I'll see how these perform and later decide whether to make a full chassis cover.

Audi-09.JPG.e556804445b422c5d24494acc926e3e4.JPG

Took me a while to figure out which end was front and which was rear :)

I guess you're expecting to get hit from behind with that extra bumper!

I use CC-01 shocks with "regular" rally springs. I kind of started liking the gold color! I had to do attach them to the lower hole in the arms though which exposes them more when driving off road (the front ones really) but it's been working really well and the suspension is very smooth.