Cuiken

Silver can budget rally build off

13 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Gave it a bath. 😁 Everything is waterproofed. If you read further back, I had a non waterproof RX that took down the BEC on the ESC so now I apply a waterproof coating to the RX and the car can take a bath just fine.

Whoa! I have all of electronics waterproofed except radio receiver.. i will have to check your comments out so i can just blast water :)

8 minutes ago, Sogogi said:

Whoa! I have all of electronics waterproofed except radio receiver.. i will have to check your comments out so i can just blast water :)

From this run/post on, the trouble started, there are some discussions in waterproofing RX after that 

32 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

From this run/post on, the trouble started, there are some discussions in waterproofing RX after that 

That is great! I actually am using tamiya tt02 receiver box but i use it as a dust cover(since there is no sealing at all). I may have to check out mst box you are using.

I normally just let mine dry out and use a brush to get as much of the mess off as I can. Though with my crawler, which is a bit more waterproof, I have hosed it down in the garden when it’s been particularly bad. 

Right or wrong I don't know, but on my XV-01 I have used warm (quite hot) running water on the extremities to get muck off the plastics quickly. Wheels, fenders, steering. My thinking there has been that both the wetting and the evaporation can be quickest. And these areas are both where 90% of the muck is and there's no electronics. And my mistreatment of bearings is at least limited to the 8 at the hubs (which I've greased).

I do also coat my circuit boards for waterproofing, but in the main I think that if they dry out before a battery is reconnected it's probably going to be OK. So I haven't opened the motor on this one to coat the sensor board. 

A Bernie budget question... 

Maintenance vs improvement.

How to deal with repairs when you choose an upgrade at the point you break something? Like I'm figuring if I lose a plastic drive shaft I probably wouldn't go out and buy plastic drive shafts, and if I snap an arm my replacement might be FRP. Add the difference in price between the like for like repair and what you did, I presume?

On reflection the repair point is a bit of a stealth upgrade route, so arguably not really "in the spirit"? On a snapshot of one (poorly researched) item, you might have to spend £8 on a parts tree to replace one TT-02 plastic driveshaft, while a pair of YR universals costs barely any more. 

My TT-02 plan looks in budget with a variety of hop ups but nothing on the steering which I'd take a punt on being able to improve with some shimming and some parts bin bits and bobs. I quite like this idea - leave one specific shortcoming and focus on creatively solving just that.  

• Like 2

So i already have a TT02 Lancia Delta, which is pretty much stock apart from bearings. Looking to see what I can do to make it more of a rally car. It already has rally block tyres and set up for higher ride height. I'll look at filing the tabs on the arms also.

I've ordered universals, allow prop shaft and cups, will swap over the CVAs from my Type S as I have some Yeah Racing Alloy shocks to put on there.

However, I've noticed now that the TT02 Audit Quattro comes with a Torque Tuned motor as standard, whereas as pretty much every other basic TT02 only has the basic silver can. 

Never noticed that before, particularly as the Quattro is generally priced cheaper everywhere than the Lancia and many other basic TT02s!

• Like 1

I've finally got around to ordering the necessaries for my budget rally build. 

Base TT-02 £63 half-a-kit-in-a-bag

YR 60mm shocks

Adjustable upper arms

Toe in rear uprights

High speed gear set

Proper chassis cover

Trashed body with heavy reliance on tape, glue and structural decals

Front (cheap - quality TBC 😬) CVDs, still need to find outdrives, possibly room in budget for rears as well, if I can find seriously cheap out drives or repurpose something. 

Whomble steering mods to rely on things that the everyday folk leave behind. 

Edit: now I think about it, I might get all excited about 3d printing for a steering mod or two I have in mind.

• Like 2

Got pretty much all my bits now. 

It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get building but I'm quite excited about it. I can see some sawing up of CF offcuts in my future. 

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Got pretty much all my bits now. 

It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get building but I'm quite excited about it. I can see some sawing up of CF offcuts in my future. 

I have read that CF dust was just as bad as asbestos in the way it breaks down into ever smaller and smaller pieces once you have inhaled the dust. For that reason in the few occasions that I wanted to make CF parts I have cad'ed them in SOLIDWORKS and sent the file over to Fibre-Lythe. Just bringing genuine concerns and not trying to derail the thread 👍

6 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

I have read that CF dust was just as bad as asbestos in the way it breaks down into ever smaller and smaller pieces once you have inhaled the dust. For that reason in the few occasions that I wanted to make CF parts I have cad'ed them in SOLIDWORKS and sent the file over to Fibre-Lythe. Just bringing genuine concerns and not trying to derail the thread 👍

I've done very little of it but I do wear a mask. I had understood that it's OK. Have you got a link? 

Thinking about it I could also rig up a dust extractor. 

18 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

I've done very little of it but I do wear a mask. I had understood that it's OK. Have you got a link? 

If you do wear a mask, make sure it is an asbestos safe mask (if it is as bad as asbestos), not the covid mask or B&Q DIY masks. I have one from work that I use when working on dangerous materials.

Or you can go full in asbestos removal PPE. 🤣uhl5JU7.jpg

26 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Sorry I don't have a link. You probably want to do your own research in any case. As a minimum I would not sand anything indoors. If you already have a 3M respirator for painting, they also make dust filters for it (the round pink ones). All that being said, I am more cautious than most. I did see CF sheets on eBay and it is tempting to Dremel them, but in my case it is no thank you.

Started my budget rally build this evening. TT-02 based. One issue already is I think the springs will be much too firm. Anyone picked up suitably soft springs for TT-02 rally? My shocks are YR Shock Gear 60mm but I think (will check) same diameter as CVAs etc. I might try some buggy fronts, hunch maybe even parts bin DT-03 stock fronts (perhaps cut down)? Shocks feel very smooth otherwise. 

20230301_225151

Otherwise I've got to the stage of Dremeling for droop. Looks like the law of diminishing returns applies here, with a little for nearly all the travel and then a lot more for the last couple of mm, although some fairly invasive cutting may be required for steering. I'm going to sleep on just what cuts to make. 

23t pinion/68 spur to kick off with, 3° rear toe and adjust upper arms. Super cheap CVDs to go in but they await me finding a very good deal on outdrives. 

I know the bumper is ridiculous, but it was very cheap!

• Like 2

This wasn’t intentional but Ive purchased something that fits this criteria quite nicely.

A Humble TL-01. Subaru Impreza WRC

mAfrcX0.jpeg

d5iznNB.jpeg

It has:

Bearings
Quick Release Battery Tray
Speed Tuned Gears
Steering Turnbuckles
Alloy Shocks
A Servo

I got it for £68, but used Nectar points, but we will use £68 as a base line. It has an MSC and a silver can, but so far Ive spent.

£39.99 on a Rx for my NB4

Then £59.97 on:

Hobbywing 1060 ESC
Core 21t Motor
Shotgun Style Lipo as I only have bigger lipo’s
A Steel Pinion
Deans connector charger lead as I run XT90s

Im at £167.96 being genuine. But for rally Id need rally tyres but should still be under budget. I think Ive done really well considering Ive bought a lipo too. Only thing Im using is my charger and TX, but for what the RX cost I couldve got a budget radio system so.

However, im true ‘budget cap’ spirit, Im probably going to blow the £200 budget on fancy TRF Shocks and a RZ Motor. However, Ive employed the finance guys from Red Bull Racing, and these upgrades are coming out of the ‘catering’ budget, so Ill still be under £200 ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Id need rally tyres

IDK, it seems that the price for the cheap Fastrax rally wheels and tyres set had gone from below £10 to above. Inflation? Or thanks to high demand from this build challenge?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

IDK, it seems that the price for the cheap Fastrax rally wheels and tyres set had gone from below £10 to above. Inflation? Or thanks to high demand from this build challenge?

That's what I've got for mine. A quick Google says they're still under a tenner. Makes me think pricing my used set from the parts bin at £10 was a bit conservative! 

2 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

That's what I've got for mine. A quick Google says they're still under a tenner. Makes me think pricing my used set from the parts bin at £10 was a bit conservative! 

Ah yes, Modelsport, Wheelspin (where I got my latest set) and a few others. But they don't post for free to me so that needs to be taken into account. eBay is my usual go to for them and they are mostly >£10 now.

Finally done, my 1st kit (although completed two others before I finished this) and my "budget" build. As it was my first kit, i didn't have anything really in terms of spares (apart from the CVAs that I've stolen from the Type S kit that were replaced with Yeah Racing alloy shocks). The decals, as everyone knows are a pain. I didn't do the thin red lines round the grill because i ripped one. May be I'll paint it. There's also loads of decals left over. some look like they're for a cockpit, the rest I can't find any reference to at all in the instructions. The paint is also flaking round the front bumper after a couple of practice runs round the drive.

Tamiya TT02 Lancia Delta. I've gone slightly overbudget, but as has been mentioned in another thread, I'm going to argue that we need to start taking inflation into account since the thread started...;):lol:

Compress_20230302_155333_3531.thumb.jpg.bd7dc6a36165d18858b860b6729e803b.jpgCompress_20230302_155333_3715.thumb.jpg.9e2931b5ae3546a5cb06f138c8457122.jpg

I would have been under budget, but I couldn't help adding the alloy wheel hexes that I didn't even remember buying. Problem is, I'm liking this so much I'm tempted to add more. There is too much slop in the steering, it desperately needs the steering upgrade and there's shimming that  needs to be done around the wheels/hubs (I didn't know about shimming in RC cars when I was first building it.  I might also swap the Torque tuned motor from the Type S into this (i have a new GoolRC brushless that I might stick in there). 

The universals in the front are necessary, but not sure the alloy prop shaft and cups are. The dust cover might be the most useful purchase.

Lancia tt02 kit (includes rally block tyres, Carson Dragster ESC, and silver can motor) 120
ebay bearing kit 9
Tamiya Mini CVAs from stolen Type-S 0
Servo - Futaba  18
Dust shell  14.5
YR universals (front) 11.58
YR drive cups 8.98
Tamiya Alloy prop 7.43
Tamiya Allow prop cups 8.94
GPM Alloy wheel hexes 7.41
  £205.84

Compress_20230302_155334_4078.thumb.jpg.c5df5eed16d64f0e51c6e643cbb7caa9.jpgCompress_20230302_155333_3898.thumb.jpg.10cce29767e7260e6d2bc8b8151e2194.jpg

• Like 3

You’ve done amazingly well there with the budget for a first time RC!

Are batteries excluded from the budget?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Are batteries excluded from the budget?

I don't as they are used across multiple cars (unless you have a specific battery for this car only?), and some of my batteries are so old that I cannot even remember the price.

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

I don't as they are used across multiple cars (unless you have a specific battery for this car only?), and some of my batteries are so old that I cannot even remember the price.

Haha fair enough. I did specifically have to buy one for mine as it needed a 2S rounded pack

54 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Haha fair enough. I did specifically have to buy one for mine as it needed a 2S rounded pack

If everyone else is excluding battery from the budget then I think it would be quite fair simply to exclude batteries (and transmitters the same) regardless of whether you happened to have suitable ones for the project before or not. 

• Like 1