Cuiken

Silver can budget rally build off

25 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

If everyone else is excluding battery from the budget then I think it would be quite fair simply to exclude batteries (and transmitters the same) regardless of whether you happened to have suitable ones for the project before or not. 

As I say not sticking to it too stringently, this was meant to be a shelfer, but I follow this thread on MSUK and thought it was a cool concept

43 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

If everyone else is excluding battery from the budget then I think it would be quite fair simply to exclude batteries (and transmitters the same) regardless of whether you happened to have suitable ones for the project before or not. 

I excluded batteries and TX from my total but included RX.

Great thread..... I just read through 15 pages and me thinks my entry is going to be straight out of left field !

I'm going for a mid / front motor, tub chassis and my kit comes with a diff lock.  It's an easy guess.

Some more creative financial play going on here. Nothing to see.

Ive decided not to use the Core 21T motor. So thats £9.99 off. Take off the battery which was £19.99 too.

So Im at £137.98

Ive then sold £56.49 of bits on ebay. Which cost me £8.90 to post so. £47.59 on sales. Leaves me at £90.39

However Ive spent £88.42 on Plaza Japan (inc postage). 

TRF Shocks. Im a shock snob!
Tamiya BZ Motor. I was never gonna be happy with a Core budget motor
Rally Block Tyres x 4

I also spent £5.99 on correct 3x14mm Set Screws as mine has after market ones. 

So…..

£184.80. 

Not bad. Even if I include the Lipo

9 minutes ago, Elbowloh said:

Does a Super Stock motor count as a silver can?

Despite being in the title, Ive kinda missed that rule haha. My Bad, consider me disqualified 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Despite being in the title, Ive kinda missed that rule haha. My Bad, consider me disqualified 

If your car (second hand?) did not come with a motor, then you are (probably) allowed to buy a motor. But probably what the stock kit will come with. Which is why I went through the trouble of buying speed gear set for my TA-02 and MF-01X, to make up for the lack of speed of the silver can and TT.

Just now, alvinlwh said:

If your car (second hand?) did not come with a motor, then you are (probably) allowed to buy a motor. But probably what the stock kit will come with. Which is why I went through the trouble of buying speed gear set for my TA-02 and MF-01X, to make up for the lack of speed of the silver can and TT.

Yeaaa, im disqualified. Mine came with an MSC and two silver cans, admittedly not installed. I didnt buy for this challenge, just kinda jumped on board as a dirty imposter!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Yeaaa, im disqualified. Mine came with an MSC and two silver cans, admittedly not installed. I didnt buy for this challenge, just kinda jumped on board as a dirty imposter!

Stick the silver can in and give it a bash! Or do you have another car with a Torque tuned motor in that you can swap with the BZ?

6 minutes ago, Elbowloh said:

Stick the silver can in and give it a bash!

That's what I consider good advice, you'd be surprised how much fun a silver can can be 😀

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

That's what I consider good advice, you'd be surprised how much fun a silver can can be 😀

We are all using similar tires (rally block) so we can compare FDR's. In my case a FDR of 10.7 with a Torque Tuned in good condition made for a very fun car indeed. Fast enough on virtually any surface from pavement to sand. And would run cool enough not to even need a fan! A 4$ eBay heatsink was all I needed. Since then, I sank a lot of money on a [probably way too nice] brushless system but I don't think I would have needed to. Maybe I should have attempted to enter the budget build-off properly instead!

26 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

We are all using similar tires (rally block) so we can compare FDR's. In my case a FDR of 10.7 with a Torque Tuned in good condition made for a very fun car indeed. Fast enough on virtually any surface from pavement to sand. And would run cool enough not to even need a fan! A 4$ eBay heatsink was all I needed. Since then, I sank a lot of money on a [probably way too nice] brushless system but I don't think I would have needed to. Maybe I should have attempted to enter the budget build-off properly instead!

According to the TA-02 speed gear chart, I am on 6.7 for that one. No idea with the MF-01X with the TL speed gear set. Anyone knows?

I bought a pack set of heatsink from AliExpress for cheap, just slap them on as I go.

3 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Indeed, in the past, I NEVER used the silver can, then one day, I decided to mess about and experiment with gear ratios and managed 40mph out of a silver can. It didn't like it much though and melted itself after a few packs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

According to the TA-02 speed gear chart, I am on 6.7 for that one. No idea with the MF-01X with the TL speed gear set. Anyone knows?

I bought a pack set of heatsink from AliExpress for cheap, just slap them on as I go.

Are you on lipo or NiMh these days Alvin? 6.7 does seem high for 8.4v.

44 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Are you on lipo or NiMh these days Alvin? 6.7 does seem high for 8.4v.

Lipo. That is what the speed gear instructions say so I just went with it. I know that using the larger rally blocks will not be good for the motor, but at least silver cans are cheap!

i3WJHsq.jpeg

29 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Lipo. That is what the speed gear instructions say so I just went with it. I know that using the larger rally blocks will not be good for the motor, but at least silver cans are cheap!

i3WJHsq.jpeg

74x17 (steel pinion required) would be my pick at the next spur/pinion replacement!

In my XV-01 I use the stock 68T spur and 22T pinion for a FGR of 8.04:1 with 2S lipo's. Should measure the speed one of these days. I use it mostly for postal racing so no need for high top speed on these small tracks.

2 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

In my XV-01 I use the stock 68T spur and 22T pinion for a FGR of 8.04:1 with 2S lipo's. Should measure the speed one of these days. I use it mostly for postal racing so no need for high top speed on these small tracks.

Interesting, which motor comes with an XV-01 kit? Regular silver can or Torque Tuned? I just realized that I am actually using the kit stock gearing of the TT-02 as recommended by Tamiya for rally (70x17). That kit came with a Torque Tuned motor.

4 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Just standard silver can with extra long wires.

That makes sense then. The standard one would need to be geared a little longer. My kit came with two pinions and a note regarding which one to use "if the kit came with a Torque Tuned".

• Like 1

So Rally builds, do you glue the tyre to the rim or not? 

I'm sure the manual for my TT02 Lancia said  not to. also, no tyre inserts. Are they necessary for a rally build?

I didn't on the TA-03F and neither on the XV-01. But that may not be the normal way as I don't like to glue tires and do it only when rims are slipping in the tires on accelaration or when the tires keep running of the rims on cornering.

2 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

So Rally builds, do you glue the tyre to the rim or not? 

A common wheel/tyre choice is the Fastrax rally set and they come preguled.

However, from personal experience in my M-05RA, glue is required with a TT motor.

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

However, from personal experience in my M-05RA, glue is required with a TT motor.

Interestingly, my TT-02 rally with the TT motor and now a 17.5 never required gluing the tires. The kit-included rally block (the stiff ones) fit so tight that I took a chance the first time and did not glue them Then was happy to see they were just fine run after run. I like it this way because every couple of hours I remove the tires, clean the foams and even give the rims a fresh spray of TS (if we are not in the summer...). I would not be able to do that if they were glued like on all my other cars.