Cuiken

Silver can budget rally build off

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Unfortunately, after a month, nothing arrived. They claim that they are still waiting for stock from their supplier (email from 5 minutes ago). They said I can switch to something else but no offer of any discounts or anything. I told them to cancel the order and refund me. If nothing by tomorrow, it is off to PayPal. Will be staying away from them from now, seems like they are selling stuff that they don't actually have in stock.

Oh that's bad luck. At least there are humans on the end of the line and they have offered a refund. That's promising. I nearly picked one up for similar money from Fusion a couple of weeks ago but missed out. 

For me, I find some reputable suppliers will, although it appears something is in stock on their website, contact you in a small number of days from order if something is going to take a long time. Fusion for example has great comms but occasionally something they can't deliver, however they'll contact you asap like they did me last week, so I'm cool with that. When shops have a system like Wheelspin with an order time estimate before you buy that's to me the most straight up and useful way, but it must also be a bigger investment in IT. I have sympathy with someone wanting to be able to take orders without holding physical stock in this sector, because it would be so hard to stomach the overheads of holding stock of a full range if you're not one of the bigger players, the range is so vast, and if we expected that we'd see an even worse decline in the industry. But they have to be up front and communicating well about it. 

18 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

they have offered a refund

Actually they had not, they offer an alternative, but no offer of offer, discount or anything of the sort for the troubles.

Now (latest email), they are trying to offer store credit, which obviously I rejected. Not touching them again, looking at their range, they have nothing in stock. Almost everything are "5 to 10 days shipping".

Should have gone to FH or TTM instead. This is supposed to be my birthday present and now it is 4 days past and nothing. No present for me this year.

25 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Actually they had not, they offer an alternative, but no offer of offer, discount or anything of the sort for the troubles.

Now (latest email), they are trying to offer store credit, which obviously I rejected. Not touching them again, looking at their range, they have nothing in stock. Almost everything are "5 to 10 days shipping".

Should have gone to FH or TTM instead. This is supposed to be my birthday present and now it is 4 days past and nothing. No present for me this year.

Sorry to hear that. But Happy Birthday To You anyway! 

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Sorry to hear that, I bought a xv01 delta from Amazon.de shipped for £206 in the end, tho hopefully get some money back from the duty lotto, once it gets delivered. I bought for my birthday too. Price has now gone up but there is one here and seems like a good store and they use PayPal https://rcmodelshopdirect.com/shop/electric-models/electric-cars/tamiya-lancia-delta-xv-01-58569/

It's also a shade over the budget unless you're, say, selling some bits, but Fusion Hobbies has the same for under £200 after TC discount. 

2 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

It's also a shade over the budget unless you're, say, selling some bits, but Fusion Hobbies has the same for under £200 after TC discount. 

You will be refering to the Lancia? Don't like that. Also for that one, add in steel pinion (needed I suppose?), ESC, servo and Rx, I will be well over.

Thing is at the time I placed the order, the same Subaru was available on both FH and TTM for a bit more, but both gone now. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Stone him! 

Hey I am a ricer! 😉

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Unfortunately that one is over the limit for this build challenge.

Meh. I think it's most important you enjoy what you're doing. If the inspiration of making the best you can for £200 means you discover what you really want costs £250, then no one's going to be mad at you for it.

In no way am I encouraging you to get an XV01, but just don't spend £199 on something you don't want.

I blew the budget because I liked the idea of a Type-S rally car. But it's something I like, liked building and like using. And now I've gone and spent even more on an interior etc :lol:.

Am I "ineligible" for this challenge? I don't actually care and still shared what I built.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

Meh. I think it's most important you enjoy what you're doing. If the inspiration of making the best you can for £200 means you discover what you really want costs £250, then no one's going to be mad at you for it.

You are not wrong, it is just the way I approached this challenge, to build something below £200 (or £220 adjusted for inflation). For me, it is a good target/limitation as I do not go nuts and spend something like £300++ on a M-05... If I cannot, then, well truthfully, I do not need a XV, already have a TA-02(Ra), M-05Ra and TT-01(Ra). Just that a month back, everyone seem to be having a clear out out the Subaru XV that can meet this target that caught my eye and made me want it. Now that I missed it, it is just back to my usual keeping a close eye on prices and see what else pops up.

Also, next year (probably), I will be heading out to the far East, which will be another round of mega stocking up, so no rush.

• Like 2

@alvinlwh it's all good. For sure some of the fun is definitely trying to find the right places to make cuts to hit the budget (adding alloy driveshaft and cups was a dumb thing for me to spend budget on).

Fingers crossed another bargain shows up.

I would not mind building an XV-01 up for this challenge or a TA02, unfortunately no one in the States buys them (to then sell to me at a discount), and they retail for $212 for the TA or $300 for the XV here, thats a lot of bread for something that I'm going to beat up.

I've...secretly been trying to build a budget rally car, my initial attempts were various M-Chassis (which really only work in very flat areas), then my Sand Scorcher Frog which is quite good off-road! Just, not a "proper" rally car I guess?

But, currently I am working on a "proper" rally car that should fit in the budget, despite a few set backs.

20230731_205954.jpg

• Like 5

And it's done, for the most part, just need to do some dirt-proofing and drive it more. This was a lightly used TT-02 that was painted but came with bushings, pogo shocks, etc.

After adding a servo, bearings, and TT02 CVAs the total cost came to about $140. The stock pinion is steel so no need to change it.

20230802_160050.jpg

• Like 5

I drove through some wet gravel, rocky road, rocks. The only issue was a rock jamming the steering and the tires came off a few times, they need to be glued.

Also, I need to pay 50k credits for a car wash.

20230802_200945.jpg

VideoCapture_20230802-202957.jpg

VideoCapture_20230802-203105.jpg

• Like 5

The Tamico weekly special is within the budget: tt-01e Subaru for € 79,08.

I am saving my TT02 for the winter to take on this challenge, trying not to spend any money on hop ups in the meantime and just sticking everything into a box under the bed!

Need to source a servo next which doesn't break the bank. I have a couple in my spares already but it feels like cheating as I can't remember what each of them cost me at the time. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

The Tamico weekly special is within the budget: tt-01e Subaru for € 79,08.

It is showing as €65.35 now.

8 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

It is showing as €65.35 now.

That will be the price for the UK clients, for me it shows € 79,08. I only have to add € 13,90 for shipping to Belgium.

2 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

That will be the price for the UK clients, for me it shows € 79,08. I only have to add € 13,90 for shipping to Belgium.

Ah, €16 of shipping to UK and import tax and fees. Probably around £100 all in.

5 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Ah, €16 of shipping to UK and import tax and fees. Probably around £100 all in.

Except not, because Tamico won't ship to the UK for an order under €165...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

Oh yeah, that part. The reason why I never bought from them.

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Oh yeah, that part. The reason why I never bought from them.

Never used to be this way. Back in the good ol' days, where you could source obscure parts. There was even a time when you could order from siedel to the UK.

Don't even get me started on when Banzai Hobby was a thing. Spent a fortune there (although Plaza Japan are a close modern equivalent, they don't have the range that Banzai did...)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Never used to be this way. Back in the good ol' days, where you could source obscure parts. There was even a time when you could order from siedel to the UK.

Ah, but back in "those days", most of my packages from the Far East got taxed. These days virtually never. Much prefer it this way.

3 hours ago, Twinfan said:

Just add a BBX to the order ;)

• Haha 3