Sign in to follow this  
Collin

Another quick quesstion about ballennds (with thread, no stud))

I am using this nice coeated Tamiya ballends with thread inside. From the other side you polt a screw in. Now a general question, do you choose the lenght of the screw to fit almost through the whole ballend or like I did, just as short as it is okay?

Here a drawing of what I talk about : )

ballend_thread.jpg

A general mechanical "rule" is to have at least 1 time the diameter of threads engaged (in metal at least) so in the case of RC hardware, 3mm. In practice I always try to have the longest possible screw without the screw being so long that it extends out of the ball nut, just to make it look better. Hope this helps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, use the longest bolt available without poking out. 

those ball nuts can break off at the neck if your screw ain’t long enough to reach the ball bit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

A general mechanical "rule" is to have at least 1 time the diameter of threads engaged (in metal at least) so in the case of RC hardware, 3mm. In practice I always try to have the longest possible screw without the screw being so long that it extends out of the ball nut, just to make it look better. Hope this helps.

Yes, m3 needs at least 3mm of deepness, somehow it sounds familier to me. So lets say its a question of taste in my case but since the ballends are used with this cup-like adjuster, you will not see the thread anyway.

• Like 1

There are two issues to consider: having enough thread engaged so as to not strip out, and having enough bolt in place to reinforce what is otherwise a very thin internally threaded alloy tube under a potentially significant load.

3mm of thread is sufficient to avoid stripping out, but the bolt needs to reach beyond the neck portion and into the ball itself for it to help take the load on the connector, otherwise it will likely break off at the neck as @WillyChang points out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great guys. I will use the slightly longer screws. Its funny because I always made it this way for my own runners but once you start to question some details like this, you are not shure anymore where to go.

• Like 1