Sign in to follow this  
alvinlwh

Cheap clamp on wheel hexes

Anyone had any luck using these cheap clamp on hexes as actual clamp ons? I never managed to get the screw on right and judging by the reviews, no one seem to be able to do so. 

GCZaNzR.jpg

Examining one during a recent build, it seem that the screw is too short. So perhaps the solution is to get some longer screws? 

They work OK as wheel hexes, just will be better if they can clamp properly. 

I have a few sets, none of them clamp on. But for what they cost, I just treat them as non-clamping hexes that work better than plastic ones, also useful as they come in lots of different thicknesses 

2 minutes ago, foz75 said:

I have a few sets, none of them clamp on. But for what they cost, I just treat them as non-clamping hexes that work better than plastic ones, also useful as they come in lots of different thicknesses 

I did managed to get the 4mm type to clamp on. Wonder if I grind the 5/6/7mm type down to the same shape, will it then clamp on...? 

xWDm1ZV.jpg

Time to get the grinder out. 

Clamp style hex hubs are one of those parts where Tamiya’s quality is just night and day compared to any of the cheap and cheerless alternatives. I always chuck a set or two into a Plaza Japan order. Worth every penny, definitely not a con! 

• Like 2

I have never been able to bring myself to pay for the Tamiya ones, but do always keep a couple of sets of Yeah Racing ones around which i just add to orders. They seem fine to me, at least as good as HB, Ae as far as performance.

My FF04 came with the Tamiya ones and they do somehow seem more solid than others, maybe thats confirmation bias since I want them to be better?

15 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

I always chuck a set or two into a Plaza Japan order.

Grrrr.... JP still has not resumed regular airmail to UK. I am running out of shafts as well (another item I chuck into my order runs). Now another item to add on every checkout along with the shafts and high toque servo saver. 

7 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Anyone had any luck using these cheap clamp on hexes as actual clamp ons?

yeah I’ve installed a couple sets of these in recent months

Stash from prelockdown so dunno how bad/better later production has become :) 

But the main point is... once you get to the 6mm size, the alloy is pretty thick & not springy. The tiny 2mm screw has little chance to “clamp” before either stripping the screw threads or it’s hexhead. (Less drama with 4&5mm versions)

The hex’s shaft hole usually smaller than axle too so I have to lever out the gap (before putting screw in) to make it fit into the hole.

Then press it over the axle & pin. Install the tiny screw just for completion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

But the main point is... once you get to the 6mm size, the alloy is pretty thick & not springy. The tiny 2mm screw has little chance to “clamp” before either stripping the screw threads or it’s hexhead. (Less drama with 4&5mm versions)

The hex’s shaft hole usually smaller than axle too so I have to lever out the gap (before putting screw in) to make it fit into the hole.

Never had problem with fitting it over the axle but good point about the lack of springyness. Going to try cutting down one to the 4mm style picture above to see if I can restore the springyness. 

13 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Never had problem with fitting it over the axle but good point about the lack of springyness. Going to try cutting down one to the 4mm style picture above to see if I can restore the springyness.

depends on the axle, sometimes I gotta stretch it out & other times I gotta squish them tighter in the vise. The little screw can only do so much. 

Looked at shaping them down yrs back but being so small & fiddly it’s PITB. There’s a little ridge on the back so it’s not as easy to file. Also gotta be fully flat on the front or your wheels will wobble. 

Tbh to improve springyness I’d bust out the dremel and extend the slot to the other side of axle hole  

Easier route is to stock up on every size & colour :) for these dirtcheap yumchas

Heck I could buy proper brandname alloy clamp hexes... looked at some Yokomo ones yesterday - coned in back, perfect sharp edges & corners... very very nice! But they’re $30+ for a 4set... nah, pass.  

14 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

Looked at shaping them down yrs back but being so small & fiddly it’s PITB. There’s a little ridge on the back so it’s not as easy to file. Also gotta be fully flat on the front or your wheels will wobble.

Tbh to improve springyness I’d bust out the dremel and extend the slot to the other side of axle hole  

I was going to dremel the shoulder of where the screw goes in but extending the slot is an idea too. Going to try that one out on another one. 

oh yeah also anything recent that came with chromed 2mm bolts, they’re pretty soft cheese

ive got older ones that had black steel bolts, those don’t strip their hex heads that easily. Probably more hi tensile