nicksincrc

PS7 orange help

Hi, I used PS7 backed with white on my Alpine A110 as I didn't like the pure orange , looks great but now I have a problem as to my horror tamiya don't do an acrylic equivalent and there're  a few bits i need to match, anybody have a suggestion  in another brand ? looked at the net and humbrol 209 looks interesting but can't really tell .

I've sprayed PS paint on styrene parts before and used an acrylic gloss clear coat on top of it; it turned out well enough.  Maybe give that a try on a test sample before painting the real parts.

• Like 1

Here are some my hobby color matching app throws up. 

f1Qhv52.jpg

ySrW5vv.jpg

Of note is GSI Mr Hobby H98 which is the closest to Tamiya X/XF acrylic type of paint. AK and Vallejo are a different type of acrylic, which may or may not be what you want. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nicksincrc said:

Hi, I used PS7 backed with white on my Alpine A110 as I didn't like the pure orange , looks great but now I have a problem as to my horror tamiya don't do an acrylic equivalent and there're  a few bits i need to match, anybody have a suggestion  in another brand ? looked at the net and humbrol 209 looks interesting but can't really tell .

Would a spray can be an option? I just sprayed a GT2 shell using PS7 and used TS12 on the rear wing, it matched really well 👍

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Would a spray can be an option? I just sprayed a GT2 shell using PS7 and used TS12 on the rear wing, it matched really well 👍

TS12 is the direct equivalent of PS7. It is  called for on the instructions for the static 1/24 BMW 320i Gr.5 Jagermeister. It scored lower on the hobby paint matching app because PS7 is listed as matt while TS12 is gloss. Otherwise they are exactly the same. 

• Like 1

Hi thanks for the replies ,it would appear I need a  TS--12  equivalent then as I  can't use a can on the front light parts.

On 8/20/2022 at 9:59 PM, alvinlwh said:

Here are some my hobby color matching app throws up. 

f1Qhv52.jpg

ySrW5vv.jpg

Of note is GSI Mr Hobby H98 which is the closest to Tamiya X/XF acrylic type of paint. AK and Vallejo are a different type of acrylic, which may or may not be what you want. 

hi  would you please be so kind as to run TS-12 on your app?

1 minute ago, nicksincrc said:

Hi thanks for the replies ,it would appear I need a  TS--12  equivalent then as I  can't use a can on the front light parts.

Could you use TS-13 clear? A possibility is to use PS-7 everywhere including on the plastic parts then clear coat with TS-13.

2 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Could you use TS-13 clear? A possibility is to use PS-7 everywhere including on the plastic parts then clear coat with TS-13.

I can't rattle can the light bucket parts and I ran out of PS-7 trying things as I gave the car plenty lol

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nicksincrc said:

hi  would you please be so kind as to run TS-12 on your app?

4ObrVOq.jpeg

5C61lDg.jpg

Are you looking for a specific brand? I have some brands hidden so they may not show. 

Also, while not in the list, I can confirm that Tamiya X-6 is the same. It is even in the instruction for the Jagermeister along with TS-12. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Also, while not in the list, I can confirm that Tamiya X-6 is the same. It is even in the instruction for the Jagermeister along with TS-12. 

That's right, the instructions of the 1/24 static kit for the Porsche 934 calls for X-6 or TS-12 interchangeably.

hi,  thanks again ,  X6 i  have and thought it would work but it's much brighter orange and less red than ps7..  Ii did a mix with a touch of red that was close but not good enough in different lighting

1 hour ago, nicksincrc said:

hi,  thanks again ,  X6 i  have and thought it would work but it's much brighter orange and less red than ps7..  Ii did a mix with a touch of red that was close but not good enough in different lighting

What did you back PS7 with and what did you prime under the X6. I backed PS7 with black and it turns more brown than orange. 

a8vvyKe.jpeg

That looks really brown! Am also interested in this, I need a bright orange for a project, also both for lexan and abs parts, was thinking PS7 buy even that Porsche looks more red than orange (it's fantastic either way :) )

Maybe fluo orange is a brighter colour? But I want orange, not fluo....

14 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

What did you back PS7 with and what did you prime under the X6. I backed PS7 with black and it turns more brown than orange. 

a8vvyKe.jpeg

backed with white and primed with various attempt

12 hours ago, foz75 said:

That looks really brown! Am also interested in this, I need a bright orange for a project, also both for lexan and abs parts, was thinking PS7 buy even that Porsche looks more red than orange (it's fantastic either way :) )

Maybe fluo orange is a brighter colour? But I want orange, not fluo....

PS-62 TS-98 pure  orange and x-6 will probably match them 

On 8/22/2022 at 6:32 PM, nicksincrc said:

I can't rattle can the light bucket parts

You could try decanting from a spray can maybe?

1 hour ago, nicksincrc said:

PS-62 TS-98 pure  orange and x-6 will probably match them 

You might be into something...

KpC5I7e.jpg

This F148182E-AB61-4E35-973E-A4FAF0D7CA3E.jpg is a Jäegermeister not Alpine . Painted in PS16 metallic blue. These rear air intakes are fixed on the outside and are made of hard plastic. I painted them with PS16 and they look ok. Perhaps they could do with a little more gloss?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

This  is a Jäegermeister not Alpine . Painted in PS16 metallic blue. These rear air intakes are fixed on the outside and are made of hard plastic. I painted them with PS16 and they look ok. Perhaps they could do with a little more gloss?

TS19 is gloss metallic blue. 

33 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

TS19 is gloss metallic blue. 

image.png.d513978ff4fb072d3f9381324a93ae2a.png
didn’t notice that!!! But what’s the point of a flat PS colour as it’s always going to be shiny through the body shell??

8 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

didn’t notice that!!! But what’s the point of a flat PS colour as it’s always going to be shiny through the body shell??

The point is, as a fellow member (Willy iine IIRC) said, just wack it on, even if a complete painting noob, and it will always be shiny once the protection film is removed. 

I think most people will prefer shiny cars, but for those who do not, there is also a clear matt to spray on the outside to take away the shine. 

Personally, I do not care so much as another member also said to me, "it will always eventually end up on its roof". 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

didn’t notice that!!!

Also, if you do not want to get a while TS tin, X-13 is the equivalent. 

• Like 1

here's where I'm up to so far ,decal work is far from perfect but it's a runner . Rear air intakes just pushed in, painted with my mix but it's not quite right, they need gloss as well

image_50751745.JPG

image_50444033.JPG

• Like 4