nuggetz

Tamiya compound strange behavior

I’ve been playing with tamiyas three polishing compounds and I noticed a very strange thing.  I placed a dab on a test surface and began to use my finger to polish. If you keep rubbing eventually the compound starts to turn wet and degrade and disappear. What is in this stuff? Anyone else notice this? I’m no chemist but I’ve never seen anything do this. It’s almost magical. Here’s a quick video. Well you might wanna fast forward thru it as it takes about two minutes for this to occur

Have you ever waxed a real car? This stuff is kind of similar to real car wax, but more towards cutting compound in the real car world, sat T-cut. As it turns dry, it becomes a powder and when you rub it, it falls off the surface. 

If you want to get a cheap alternative, Colgate Advanced Whitening toothpaste is a proven alternative. 

6 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Have you ever waxed a real car? This stuff is kind of similar to real car wax, but more towards cutting compound in the real car world, sat T-cut. As it turns dry, it becomes a powder and when you rub it, it falls off the surface. 

If you want to get a cheap alternative, Colgate Advanced Whitening toothpaste is a proven alternative. 

Actually, what I'm finding is that starts to dry and then gets wet and starts rubbing off/breaking down. Never experienced this with any wax. Only other polishing compounds I've tried were metal ones on metal. Interesting reaction that I never experienced before so wanted to share.

Isn't it acidic material?  You probably don't want to get that absorbing into your skin..  It appears to interact no differently than off-the-shelf metal polish such as Wenol..

I didn't notice anything odd.

4 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Isn't it acidic material?  You probably don't want to get that absorbing into your skin..  It appears to interact no differently than off-the-shelf metal polish such as Wenol..

I didn't notice anything odd.

Yeah, I agree I dont want it absorbing into my skin. Happens with paper towel or q-tip as well. I'm gonna try with metal polish. Maybe I never rubbed that long. Metal polish usually just turns black.

4 minutes ago, nuggetz said:

Yeah, I agree I dont want it absorbing into my skin. Happens with paper towel or q-tip as well. I'm gonna try with metal polish. Maybe I never rubbed that long. Metal polish usually just turns black.

Yeah, I suppose Wenol does turn black.  Is that compound for paint?  Come to think of it, I've never tried polishing metal using paint correction polish.. 

1 minute ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, I suppose Wenol does turn black.  Is that compound for paint?  Come to think of it, I've never tried polishing metal using paint correction polish.. 

I assume this is for plastics and paint. Exibits the same behaviour on paint, plastic and metal. Just interesting how it just breaks down at a certain point and it starts to feel wet and then sorta rubs off/goes clear.

3 minutes ago, nuggetz said:

I assume this is for plastics and paint. Exibits the same behaviour on paint, plastic and metal. Just interesting how it just breaks down at a certain point and it starts to feel wet and then sorta rubs off/goes clear.

Yes, diminishing abrasives..  the compound breaks down as you work the product in so that you do not need to have 2-3 different polishes.  It automatically goes from coarse to fine.

It is similar to mild automotive polish like Meguiar's ScratchX.  I use ScratchX on my TS paints when needed.   (also works on clear plastic if you have any scratches).

38 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Yes, diminishing abrasives..  the compound breaks down as you work the product in so that you do not need to have 2-3 different polishes.  It automatically goes from coarse to fine.

Don't think so, it comes in 3 grades, and using them are actually the last steps after a lot of sanding. 

Probably diminishing abrasives like most modern car polishes.  I use Meguairs 105/205 and they both do this.

8 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Probably diminishing abrasives like most modern car polishes.  I use Meguairs 105/205 and they both do this.

Meguiars 105/205 contains micro abrasives which are non-diminishing. 

On 8/22/2022 at 1:16 AM, nuggetz said:

Metal Polish turns black when polishing metal because of the very fine metal particles that are produced. Tamiya polishing compound probably isn't as abrasive as metal polish (it doesn't need to be) so it doesn't go black as quickly (or at all) when used on metal. 

If you use metal polish on a painted surface, it will probably take on the colour of the paint. 

Metal polish, in my experience at least, also contains oily solvents whereas tamiya polishing compound doesn't (at least, it doesn't smell like metal polish) so may not do the same evaporation trick that the tamiya stuff does. 

2 hours ago, TurboRSR said:

Meguiars 105/205 contains micro abrasives which are non-diminishing. 

That is correct, got mixed up there :)  They work well because they are non-diminishing.