Sign in to follow this  
Problemchild

Quirkiest build

I’m running out of chassis to build - I don’t want 16 TT02 chassis with different bodies on :(

I’ve just finished a tamtech gb01 and I’ve built Dual Rider to Clod Buster, grasshopper to DB01 

im looking for something else 

what’s the quirkiest chassis build people have experienced?

JJ

• Like 1

The following come to mind from personal experience:

- The Frog (inboard front suspension with torsion bars on an off-road buggy?)

- The Hotshot (one damper for each end, and the quirks don't stop there!)

- Buggy Champ (rear torsion bars and a mechanism box - strange these days, though more normal in its time)

- original Audi Quattro (it needs the MSC servo, even when using an ESC, since the steering servo stacks on top of it to work, among other quirky details) (but good luck finding one)

I have heard that the XR-311 is a unique build, and the Fighting Buggy/Super Champ compounds the weirdness (relative to today's RC cars) of the Buggy Champ by using a rear monoshock with an oil bottle reservoir!

Beyond that: perhaps consider a 3-speed truck. In any form, it builds differently to other RC cars without gear shifting, so even the more modern High-Lift series should provide a different experience while costing less than a Bruiser or Mountaineer/Mountain Rider re-release. (for added fun, you can always try a 1:14 truck!)

And beyond even that: maybe one of the 1:16 tanks? :o

• Like 2

Avante comes to mind.. :ph34r:   

Maybe grab the BlackEdition..?  Be quirky and cool simultaneously..

• Like 3

TA-06, with it's rear transmission, belt front drive, bottom-loading battery, and inboard front suspension.

TC-01, inboard suspension, unique suspension arms, and crazy low-profile layout. Unique and complicated kit body.

TD4, inboard front suspension, interesting transmissions, oddball steering. 

CR-01, planetary transmission, four wheel steering, cantilever suspension.

Avante, of course.

G6-01 has lots of gears and can be set up with 4WS. The Volvo body is interesting, and there's a version with portals at every wheel for extra complexity. It's pretty conventional other than the transmission. 

I wouldn't consider the XV-01 to be quirky, but I tinker with mine all the time, it drives beautifully, and is somehow fascinating.

I like complex and strange builds, too.

• Like 2

G6-01 is a fun build, so many gears. And it's a tremendous fun runner when finished too.

As suggested, anything with 2 or 3 speeds in the gearbox is an interesting build, but then you need a 3 channel radio as well.

All the vintage 4WD buggies are weird in their own way: the Hotshot's goofy suspension, the Bigwig's rack and pinion steering, the Thundershot's equal-length suspension arms and "inside out" rear driveshaft gears. All are fun to build, and unique.

And if you really get in a rut, there's always Kyosho. Completely different design language, lots of metal parts, and nice tight parts fit.

• Like 1

Hotshot, Avante, Egress , or dare I say it, for quirkiness, the Super Avante

• Like 1

Tamiya: SU-01 

Not Tamiya: Twin motor 4WD MST TCR-M 

• Like 1

Cool - will look at some of the ones above that I don’t have :)

this is 80% of the collection 

znLre3D.jpg

JJ

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Big Jon said:

CR-01, planetary transmission, four wheel steering, cantilever suspension.

This was the first one to spring to my mind but it can be tricky. There's a lot of holes and mounts in that chassis to keep straight during assembly.

Some great suggestions here. Its funny most didn't enter my mind at first, as I've been in Tamiya-land so long it all seems like standard fair, but in retrospect, Tamiya has a lot of uniqueness. 

• Like 1

I think it has to be the cr-01 for a quirky/bizarre! and the reason why probably more me than the actual kit:wacko: it was the only kit I was constantly haven't to rebuild because I kept on making mistakes because I just couldn't get my head around building diffs then locking them and building things the opposite way etc but like I say its probably more me than the kit! And I think the super avante was a bit on the quirky side but it just left me a bit mah???? After I built it:mellow:  I'm not a fan of gearbox housings and chassis molding in one!

IMG_20160320_151342.jpg

• Like 3

I suppose the quirkiest build would be a custom project. There are some fascinating, imaginative projects on these forums like converting vehicles to 6 wheel drive, working tipping beds on trucks or even a working remote controlled tow truck/recovery vehicle. It looks like you have heaps of experience so maybe you could come up with something completely new? A fire truck with working ladder and water cannon, a military amphibious vehicle....

For me, TLT-1 was the quirkiest thing to build.

nmLzdiQ.jpg

This was a clever little crawler; a center diff and cantilever suspension with a lot of articulation.  

qTYeqE9.jpg

Tamiya engineers put in the tiniest belt just to make it quirky. 

qLi3uv9.jpg

I'm surprised that Tamiya hadn't done more with this chassis.  

qXoigZm.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Gebbly said:

I suppose the quirkiest build would be a custom project. There are some fascinating, imaginative projects on these forums like converting vehicles to 6 wheel drive, working tipping beds on trucks or even a working remote controlled tow truck/recovery vehicle. It looks like you have heaps of experience so maybe you could come up with something completely new? A fire truck with working ladder and water cannon, a military amphibious vehicle....

While im Ok with going off piste with the body - instructions are essential :)

JJ

11 hours ago, Saito2 said:

This was the first one to spring to my mind but it can be tricky. There's a lot of holes and mounts in that chassis to keep straight during assembly.

Some great suggestions here. Its funny most didn't enter my mind at first, as I've been in Tamiya-land so long it all seems like standard fair, but in retrospect, Tamiya has a lot of uniqueness. 

This has been on my watch list for some time - maybe that’s the one 

JJ

13 hours ago, moffman said:

I think it has to be the cr-01 for a quirky/bizarre! and the reason why probably more me than the actual kit:wacko: it was the only kit I was constantly haven't to rebuild because I kept on making mistakes because I just couldn't get my head around building diffs then locking them and building things the opposite way etc but like I say its probably more me than the kit! And I think the super avante was a bit on the quirky side but it just left me a bit mah???? After I built it:mellow:  I'm not a fan of gearbox housings and chassis molding in one!

IMG_20160320_151342.jpg

I think the biggest trick to this build was to have a bunch of trays for all the screws and nuts.. and have like a Lego-mind.. cause you count holes a lot.. 

.. and BIG tires.  :D 

IMG_Nov212021at64508PM.jpg.2934d39a0b49a87514a0d04f262ce381.jpg

• Like 5

On 8/22/2022 at 10:29 PM, Willy iine said:

I think the biggest trick to this build was to have a bunch of trays for all the screws and nuts.. and have like a Lego-mind.. cause you count holes a lot.. 

.. and BIG tires.  :D 

IMG_Nov212021at64508PM.jpg.2934d39a0b49a87514a0d04f262ce381.jpg

Got my lego delorean to build soon :)

JJ

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 10:29 PM, Willy iine said:

and BIG tires

It looks like there is no damper inside that front  spring? Is the damper somewhere else? I like the colour scheme, makes me think of mountain rescue :)

40 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

It looks like there is no damper inside that front  spring? Is the damper somewhere else? I like the colour scheme, makes me think of mountain rescue :)

That is correct.  The dampers are located on the sides of the car (per factory set up).   It’s a separate unit.  

Thanks, the colors used were PS19 Camel Yellow on the body and TS29 semi-gloss black on the grill trims.  Wheels are TS38 Gunmetal color.  B)