Sign in to follow this  
IoMTom

Lipo compatible…

Hello all!

if an esc states it is not lipo compatible, does that mean it has no low voltage cut off/alarm function so you may ruin the battery, or does it mean the esc will be damaged if a lipo is used.

asking as I’ve used a lipo with an incompatible esc and the world did not end! (Also did not use for long enough to drop below min batt voltage).

thanks!

Which ESC are you talking about?

If an ESC is stated to be not lipo compatible it's most likely the lack of a suitable cutoff, but could just be general fear of the slightly higher voltages that a LiPo has under load.

Realistically the higher voltage shouldn't be an issue. The lack of cutoff is if you are the kind of person that runs a car until it stops moving.

• Like 1

Only running 2s so within voltage range. I’m going to agree on the cutoff being the issue, maybe just use an alarm?

Tamiya ESCs had not been LiPo safe until recently.

Many members (including myself) just use a voltage alarm on older Tamiya ESCs.  You can time how long it takes to reach the voltage you set on the alarm.  If it takes 20 minutes to get to reach it, from next time, set up a timer to go off at 17 minute mark.  Some leeway is important because one cell might drop much lower than the other cell.  (Also you should use the alarm to time it again if you change the motor, gearing, tires or go from a Lexan shell to a hard shell since all of those can change the run time.)

This is probably my first post here with a brand new account......after so many years away.

The question about LiPo and ESC compatibility has been around forever. Most vintage brushed ESC are not 'directly' compatible with LiPo batteries because there is no cut off voltage protection built in. The reason is that LiPo batteries do not like to be completely discharged, unlike NiMH or NiCad, once they drop below 3.2V (1S) will permanently damage the battery itself. That is why you need to attach an low voltage alarm to avoid over-discharge. The ESC would not be damaged, provided that you are no using a 3S (11V) or more cells battery on  a 7.2V-8.4V ESC. Most brushless systems however, have the built in voltage cut off by default.  

Also read all the instructions about the proper use of LiPo batteries, they can catch fire quite easily if not charged or discharged properly.  You certainly do not want to burn down your home this way.