WRC4 me

Grasshopper to Autocross replica question

Hi all,

Been happily buzzing around with bone stock stuff but having attended a few full-sized Autocross events and loved them, I can't help but notice the similarity between these cars and the Grasshopper/Hopper2 and Hornet. Most Autocross cars run replica Fuchs alloy wheels, however... so I'm wondering whether a set of Tamiya Fuchs could be used on on a Grasshopper without major surgery? I guess rally block tyres would be the best option to retain some kind of capability! Here's what I mean by the looks...

1336155675_Screenshot2022-08-25at12_25_56.png.b93ba051132c8189831422a7ffcdfab8.png

All and any guidance gratefully received!

• Like 1

I think the lack of replies means... we don't know?

The only Fuchs style Porsche wheels I see are on 4wd chassis, so you would have to do a hex conversion on the front to run them.  Otherwise, they... should work?

The Race of Champions buggy is similar to these autocross buggies and it looks like it occasionally has Fuchs style mounted on it.

It's always cool finding out about different forms of motorsport. Here in the States, "autocross" means something completely different, but the UK format seems like a lot of fun, too. Your autocross cars across the pond look very similar to our Pikes Peak racers, except without the giant wings.

As for RC, I think you could definitely get close with a front hex conversion as @SlideWRX said. However, my thought is that the new TD-4 or TD-2 chassis with their cycle-style fenders would be a perfect base for a scratchbuilt body. Then you could use the Fuchs style wheels no problem, and the chassis itself would be a bit more accurate as well.

Thank you so much for the replies - I shall look for those new TD chassis right away - maybe try and hit a Hopper top on one??

Autocross in Europe really began behind the Iron Curtain in Eastern Europe but it's grown fast. Basically full-size Tamiya racing! There is Cross Car for kids age 13-16 with 2WD and up to 75hp, then seniors have 1600 Buggy with 4WD and around 240hp and finally Super Buggy, where 700hp isn't unheard of and some guys run flat-6 Porsche engines. This was the action round-up from the most recent event in the Czech Republic...

That's awesome, I've never seen autocross buggies like that before.  The only autocross I know of is the really homebrew version where crazy inventors scoop the innards out of innocent little things like Vauxhall Corsas as if they're a baked potato, then spoon back in a 2 litre red top on throttle bodies and a crazy 4wd system.  At least, I think that's what my mate's dad was racing when he last did autocross.

There's definitely some Grasshopper styling going on with those buggies, but I agree a modern chassis with hex fitment all round will make it easier to fit the correct wheels.  The Grasshopper body is ABS, which is easier to cut-and-shut to fit another chassis than lexan, although it takes some work to get a good finish.

As for wheels - you could use 1.9s with rally blocks, but the sidewalls are too low-profile.  M-chassis wheels might be closer to the size you want, but again, M-chassis rally blocks don't have big sidewalls either.  These 1.55 tyres are designed for rock crawlers but you should be able to persuade them onto M-chassis wheels, although you'll definitely need to glue them.  They might be too heavy for speedy running.

https://rcbitz.com/1-55-tyre/

Another possible option here is big rig wheels and tyres.  There are some nice chunky off-road inspired 1.7 tyres now:

https://rcbitz.com/1-7-tyre/

1.7 wheels are a bit hit-and-miss in terms of appearance but you might find something.

Alternatively, the ubiquitous Tamiya BFG tyre as fitted to myriad CC01 models, or the slightly smaller version fitted to the Porsche Cayenne, is a hard tyre and not that grippy but should give the right look on a 1.9 wheel.  You can cut the tread blocks (the infamous BFG cut stagger mod) for better traction on dirt.  Incidentally this wheel and tyre combo did make it onto a buggy - search the Tamiya Blazing Star for an idea.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 10:33 PM, El Gecko said:

my thought is that the new TD-4 or TD-2 chassis with their cycle-style fenders would be a perfect base for a scratchbuilt body. Then you could use the Fuchs style wheels no problem, and the chassis itself would be a bit more accurate as well.

Yeah that would hide the front shocks for a better look.  Scale wise, I think the comical bodies would actually have to proper proportions, since these are so small that the cockpit looks big.  Those are setup for a short ~170mm weheelbase though.  170mm might actually be proper 1/10 scale for those. :D

M-chassis Fuchs - 3d print

those are some 1.7-sih Fuchs you could print out and find tires for.  I *think* tamiya 51427 should fit?  This is all guessing. :) That might give you the small scale of the wheel/tire combo they use.  The next question is whether they fit on the chassis you want to use...