Went to an estate sale this weekend and picked up a complete vintage clodbuster for very cheap.  I want to perform some upgrades to it, like replacing the transmission bearings, etc.  Before I do that however, I am not clear or can tell if this is a Super Clodbuster or just the Clodbuster.  Is there a way that I can tell the difference? 

I can upload whatever pictures may help as well. 

As a start the Super Clod has blue plastic parts where as the Clod had red. Upload a few pics and we'll see.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks for the help.  I am thinking this is just a Clodbuster but want to be sure before I order anything.  I am also pretty sure it is authentic / vintage and not the re-release. 

The red parts and old style blower suggest an original Clod.  Though it is odd that there is no Chevy bowtie on the front grill.

You can check inside the chassis too.  The Super ClodBuster got metal braces in the lower part of the chassis to brace the balls for the suspension arms.  I think the original Clod body and chassis have slightly different stamping in them too.  Original would have come with a MSC...

Lots of things to check, but in reality.... red bits on an older truck almost certainly means original Clod.

Not 100% sure but I think the last year or so of the original clod never had the bowtie or chevy logo on the rear tailgate.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Well, after I posted this I went to look again and actually found a stamp on the right side battery tray, which has the following stamp -> confirming this is an original 1987 Clod Buster.  I guess this working truck with a controller was a deal at 75 bucks. 

I had no idea the chassis was stamped with the model and year.  

6.jpg

6 minutes ago, OliveJacksonRC said:

Thanks guys.  Well, after I posted this I went to look again and actually found a stamp on the right side battery tray, which has the following stamp -> confirming this is an original 1987 Clod Buster.  I guess this working truck with a controller was a deal at 75 bucks. 

I had no idea the chassis was stamped with the model and year.  

$75 is a steal for any Clod!  Congrats!

The stamp is a tooling stamp, and doesn't (really) change from year to year (date wise).  In most of Tamiya's re-release cars, the original year stamp is still there, but the  "Made In Japan" stamp is gone, and in some cases, the model number has been updated.  Yours is certainly original, but likely a later (1989-2003) variant due to the lack of badging (as pointed out by toyolien).

• Like 1

Thanks, yeah, I do not believe they knew what they had at the sale. 

For what its worth, I did just look in the inside/underside of the body and it also says 1987 Clod Buster Made In Japan (see below)

The front grill and back bumper look different so maybe those were replaced at some point?  Not sure what other badging I should be looking for.  But everything on the chassis and the body are stating '87

7.jpg

1 hour ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Though it is odd that there is no Chevy bowtie on the front grill.

57 minutes ago, OliveJacksonRC said:

The front grill and back bumper look different so maybe those were replaced at some point?

The earlier original Clods had the Chevy badging but were eliminated later in the original production run.

1 hour ago, bRIBEGuy said:

You can check inside the chassis too.  The Super ClodBuster got metal braces in the lower part of the chassis to brace the balls for the suspension arms.  I think the original Clod body and chassis have slightly different stamping in them too.  Original would have come with a MSC...

Correct! The brace is the only meaningful "performance" (actually durability) related improvement to the Super Clod over the original (all other changes are aesthetic). It was carried over from the Bullhead which was the first to receive the brace plates from the factory. No original Clods came with the bracing. The original Clods, Bullheads and first run of Super Clods came with MSCs. The re-re Bullhead and later addition Super Clods got an ESC.

3 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

The red parts and old style blower suggest an original Clod.  Though it is odd that there is no Chevy bowtie on the front grill.

Chevy grill didn’t last long, red Clod was around a many years after with out it.

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

The earlier original Clods had the Chevy badging but were eliminated later in the original production run.

Correct! The brace is the only meaningful "performance" (actually durability) related improvement to the Super Clod over the original (all other changes are aesthetic). It was carried over from the Bullhead which was the first to receive the brace plates from the factory. No original Clods came with the bracing. The original Clods, Bullheads and first run of Super Clods came with MSCs. The re-re Bullhead and later addition Super Clods got an ESC.

Pretty sure the OG Clod got the metal brace following the release of the bull head.

7 hours ago, GTodd said:

Pretty sure the OG Clod got the metal brace following the release of the bull head.

Personally, I have never seen this or come across this. @Mokei Kagaku might be a good person to answer this.

Choose Tamiya 

Choose a Clodbuster

Choose squashing, and running over your competitors with the most powerful truck in the world.

Choose pushing the world backwards when you accelerate.

Choose from an endless supply of aluminium upgrades.

Choose scanning the internet at 2am for parts that you don't need,

Choose cheap Chinese tyres before finding out they are so badly balanced, running them on a Clodbuster could start an avalanche, earthquake or similar natural disaster depending on terrain.

Choose Tamiya

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I really want a clodbuster. Just one. 

That's how it starts... ;)

• Haha 1