Bwaaatch

Avante-gator 6x6 Paris-Dakar fantasy mash-up build!

Wing mount made from spare parts from the sprues I bought for my wider suspension arms (TL01B C Parts 0005688, I think). The spur is C parts, and I used parts 6 and 7, stuck together with hot glue. The wing position looks about right to me …

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

spacer.pngspacer.png

Found this on eBay, it's perfect!

To be period-correct for my build (which imagines an early/mid-nineties Avante reboot) I needed something from that timeframe. Getting dates on Tamiya electronics was harder than I thought, but I narrowed it down to this model as feeling like it must be in the right ballpark. Only when it actually arrived could I confirm. It is indeed from 1993.

The bronze/gold CPR 160 heatsink is pretty beautiful. The whole thing is in great condition. Not mint (not the box, at least), but much nicer than I expected from the pictures on eBay. Looks hardly used.

spacer.png

• Like 3

spacer.png

Unboxed my lovely new Adpsec and got it working outside the car. Worked fine first time. Adspec has a dual-rate wheel adjuster under the power switch, which was easier to find. The switch to reverse each channel where harder to spot. The are little white things on TOP of the TX. Don't think they are marked at all, and they are recessed, so you need a little tool to poke them each way.

spacer.png

All fitted in, though the space for the CPR was a bit tight thanks to my custom outboard battery holder. Luckily, the Avante body seems perfectly designed for this CPR unit …

spacer.png

Fits like a glove down at the tail end.

spacer.png

All good. She runs!

Next jobs:

• New Motor (I have a Dyna-run that just arrived). Will get a custom sticker.
  • Decals (still need designing)
  • Some fiddling with body mount at front, and creation of some kind of mounting at rear.
  • Finish painting and recalling the driver
  • I think I want to revise or redo the outboard battery mount. It's not quite chapped how I'd like it, and my magnets aren't strong enough. Also needs paint.
  • Revise my backstory based on the experiences above!
  • Like 3

spacer.png

This will be the motor. It's from 1996 – a little later than my imagined time frame. No problem! I plan to create a new sticker to cover the existing one (with a damage-free fitting, though the original sticker is actually quite bashed up anyway) with a new imagined name. I can pitch it as an experimental unreleased motor whose tech was later repurposed for the Dyna-Run.

Box is a little yellowed, but still lovely. This is my first ever vintage motor in a box. Super jealous of those of you with big collections of all the classics.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bwaaatch said:

spacer.png

This will be the motor. It's from 1996 – a little later than my imagined time frame. No problem! I plan to create a new sticker to cover the existing one (with a damage-free fitting, though the original sticker is actually quite bashed up anyway) with a new imagined name. I can pitch it as an experimental unreleased motor whose tech was later repurposed for the Dyna-Run.

Box is a little yellowed, but still lovely. This is my first ever vintage motor in a box. Super jealous of those of you with big collections of all the classics.

So good to hear you have the beast up and running!

Oh, and I agree with you; those vintage motors are lovely. But the boxes? A work of art. 

• Like 1

Finished designing decals for my Avante x Gulltech project. As usual. great fun figuring out the fonts, spacing, shadows and other details.

The font used for 'Being nuts is neat' on the Avante rear wing is LEGOTHIC BOLD, in a stencil effect version of this font from 1972. The ‘g’ has been customised to shrink the descender and the ear. Whole thing is slanted to 14 degrees. I picked up on that style for some of this lettering.

Apols for light rudeness in language!

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bwaaatch said:

Finished designing decals for my Avante x Gulltech project. As usual. great fun figuring out the fonts, spacing, shadows and other details.

The font used for 'Being nuts is neat' on the Avante rear wing is LEGOTHIC BOLD, in a stencil effect version of this font from 1972. The ‘g’ has been customised to shrink the descender and the ear. Whole thing is slanted to 14 degrees. I picked up on that style for some of this lettering.

Apols for light rudeness in language!

spacer.png

Looks like word God missed this 😂

• Haha 1

@Bwaaatch, you´re still the master in creating the Avante decals in all your projects! Superb work again! Wish I had your skills! Color choice is also nice! Can´t wait to see the end result! Have to watch your showroom again for your "prototype" Avante again!

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

@Bwaaatch, you´re still the master in creating the Avante decals in all your projects! Superb work again! Wish I had your skills! Color choice is also nice! Can´t wait to see the end result! Have to watch your showroom again for your "prototype" Avante again!

Kind regards,

Matthias

Thanks Matthias! Doing the decals is super fun for me, and connected to my profession. If you ever need some custom Avante decals yourself, I’m happy to help. Now hat I have most of the fonts identified, it’s pretty quick. Let me know

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Expecting my MCI decals in the post any day now… excited that I may be able to make progress over the festive period.

• Like 1