Collin

The Project X - Pre-series completed.

Hi Tamiyaclub.

It is a long time ago that I posted any Dyna related builts here. For a good reason, I was so busy on something new. Now its time to lift the curtain. Motobox V13 & Wrenchdog presents to the audience, the very first time, here exclusive at TC..... Tatatatammmmm.

The Pre Series of a 90s Tamiya classic, guess you know where the DNA came from. The project startet in March 2020 and right now the first aluminum parts already dropped out of the CNC machines. We wanted to make a classic replica as we want it. Lot of technical improvement, lot of weak spots terminated but still the geometry and ability of the original with a lot of possibilities to get the buggy on your personal needs.

The result will be a limited patch of 10 kits of this beauty, including dampers, tyres, stabilizers, a unique rubber wing mount able to set the angle, alternative short front shock tower for mini dampers, all titane screws/turnbuckles/shafts, quality ball bearings, decal sheet, lexan body and wing, sealed gearbox, airscoops, internal routing channels for electronic cables, etc. and all of this in a nice minimalistic cardboard box as you know from the original 90s release. Only the best available parts and materials used. : )

I will post some more detailed renderings from time to time and I am happy to answer any question. Greetings.

Tom aka Collin aka Wrenchdog.

projectX_front.jpg

projectX_left.jpg

projectX_right.jpg

projectX_rear.jpg

projectX_top.jpg

projectX_bottom.jpg

projectX_bottom_front.jpg

projectX_rear_suspension.jpg

projectX_front_suspension.jpg

projectX_inside.jpg

projectX_clutch.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, razzar said:

is this going to be a complete kit minus electronics, or just an upgrade kit thanks

Full kit except electronics. Even Kimbrough servo saver will be on board : )

• Like 1

14 hours ago, razzar said:

awesome please pm me price shipped to Canada

Cant tell you now because half of the aluminum parts are not given to cnc manufacturer yet, so calculation is not complete.

Some specs about the buggy.

Bulkhead/kickup has 25° instead of 30° but you can add +5° by the other TRF201 c-hubs available.

Suspension arms shafts runs with ball bearings.

Front suspension arms are not the lowest point anymore, so they do not get grinded off arount the shafts area.

Rear pivot bars (6pcs) can set up 1/2/3deg anti-squat, By using Tamiyas DF-02 rear hubs you can set a rear toe-in from 1° to 2° by swaping L/R side.

The wing mount is made of rubber and kind of spring loaded through the pa12 nylon top mount. Tightening both vertical screws will set the wing to a flat/lower angle.

Wheelbase is 272mm (front to rear axle), you can set with front hub spacers +/- 2mm.

Stabilizers can be set because the links have ballends and can be "clicked" back and foreward inside the suspension arms.

Damper mounts and suspension arms have lot of possibilities to set the damper angle for bumpy old-scool tracks or fast carpet.

If you want to make it a lightweight, you can unmount airscoops, carbon fiber inlays of suspension arms & cooling poles. It will give you a very minimalistic version of this buggy.

Used Pro-Line dampers with progressiv springs. You can also use just one spring if you need the buggy low and linear for fast and flat tracks.

Battery mounts can be set to fit variations of shorty packs, they usually have tolerances +/- 1mm.

Gearbox and gearcover is rubber sealed. TA-06 ball diff (50T/52T) is used.

TRF201 Slipper clutch and TRF501 (91T/96T) spur gear can be pulled by pinions size from 21 to 30T.

Cable routing prepaired for servo and ESC cable, which is personaly my favorite gimmic.

Maintainence cutouts on the left side pole for easy access to servo screw and gearbox link screw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys. I have been at the track yesterday and tested a bit. It needs some liiiittle adjustments here and there to have it done. Its a lot of fun to run a unlabeled buggy between all those Assos and Xrays. : )

Anyhow, people who are intersted, I will do my notes but having to say, I do the tech part and my partner will do the rest. So once all kits are packed I will give him the names of potential interested persons.

• Like 1

Any car that looks like the SuperAstute, it is a nice design.  :D 

GL with the rest of the designing.

Hi Collin.

I'd be interested in a kit. Think I've bought some of your parts in the past on the dyna storm, and followed your builds with both dyna chassis builds. Good stuff 

• Like 1

Oh boy, my wife is going to murder me. Sign me up, I’m in the USA. Please DM me price range, no i don’t expect this to be exact , just ball park. Same for time frame of payment due date and delivery. Assumptions are just fine, I just need to plan.

• Haha 1

Hi Thomas,

thank you for this absolutely stunning work/project!

That‘s what Tamyia have to release instead (or parallel) to the Astute 2022. Modern technology in a vintage (Tamiya) buggy design…

I‘m super exited to see pictures from the final prototype or/and in action :)

Thumbs up!
Thomas

• Like 1

Hi Guys.

Thanks for your positive feedback and open mouth and big eyes. This means a lot to me, since I was solving lot of problems here in my tiny cave. The last weeks where really anoying but I think all big projects have this ups and downs. This is my largest project I realized in my life, even university diploma did not challanged me that much.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

That‘s what Tamyia have to release instead (or parallel) to the Astute 2022. Modern technology in a vintage (Tamiya) buggy design…

Exactly! That was the reason which gave me a lot of drive. While this model had already a face, the TD2/4 was released and I was somehow glad how things came. Tamiya made a completely new chassis and did not made an Astute in my eyes. Some of you where arguing missing the genetic of the Astute. I could hardly hold me back for posting some pics of the protorype.

I am wondering how Tamiya would react to this re-edition or better saied re-interpretation of the TRF211X ? :huh:

• Like 4

@Collin Yeah, your car is the kind of design Tamiya should've released.. like a SuperAstute EVO to compliment the TFEvo.

My SuperAstutes runs CF dual deck chassis (3rd party), HiCaps, AE slipper with 48pitch spur, full bearings, universals and the like thanks to many of you who posted their expertise on this site!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

projectX_prototype.jpg

One pic I made last weekend at my local track. Current state of the prototype I am working on. Rear and front bulkhead are still from pa12 nylon which challanges me a lot to not crack them. Cant wait for the first aluminum parts to complete this car to final stage. :)

• Like 9