Nicadraus

Chargers - What's everyone using?

As much as this topics belong to the "All Things Electric" section, I'd like to post and keep it here in the General Discussions.

As the title goes, what chargers are you guys using? Pics of your charger set ups would also be nice to see. 

Note: Please refrain from discussing off topic to avoid derailing or hijacking of threads. Thanks!

For NiMHs and lipo. 

54MXeWJ.jpg

For lipo including storage charge. 

4oIB6dg.jpg

I usually charge off a powerbank that was charged up at work. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

For NiMHs and lipo. 

54MXeWJ.jpg

For lipo including storage charge. 

4oIB6dg.jpg

I usually charge off a powerbank that was charged up at work. 

Wow! That looks nice and compact.

Here's mine.

Sky RC D100 (dual) and Imax-B6 Evo.

PYcXKFa.jpg

YSbyCD6.jpg

Sh2mXlX.jpg

zkrVMb5.jpg

QUmK4zy.jpg

The power strip is powered by the D100 supplied output at the back of the unit.

mAdfFPy.jpg

dcquMde.jpg

• Like 2

Ive got one of these;

spacer.png

Has come in handy being able to select the NIMH mode to restore some life into LIPOs that refused to take a charge

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Wow! That looks nice and compact.

Also good for charging on the go or on the way to the running ground, using the car charger. 

• Like 1

@Nicadraus My setup looks like a mess, but in reality still is.. :blink: lol :lol:   I should probably get a nicer shelf and reorganize it.  I've not put much effort into my charging station since it's hidden away inside the siding mirror doors in my pretend RC shop.  I guess I will work on it this coming winter.

My dozen or so 2S LiPo are stored in the basement storage area inside a fire safe bag and fire can... so they are not pictured.

My primary charger is an old Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo for charging NiMH 2 packs at a time.  I rarely use LiPo these days so I just use this charger the most (it can charge LiPo as well).

I still have a few dozen NiCd's I made back pre-2000 (they are in the plastic containers) which still hold charge well... I use my old trusty KO Propo BX212 Advance for those.  

When I run LiPo, I usually charge using my Dynamite Prophet as I have better charging control than the Prophet Sport.  Both the KO Propo and Prophet get 12V power from the 25A power supply they sit on.  I've had this power supply since like the late 1990's and is still reliable.

For my MiniZ's AAA's I use a Kyosho charger for those and are not pictured.

IMG_2022-9-3-140506.jpg.b7c0997512de8ec8b18921a40c0c028d.jpg

IMG_2022-9-3-140435.jpg.1b0d38bdea10cbb01b2767ca900dcdc4.jpg

IMG_2022-9-3-140452.jpg.17c20d080274b8476932d52670f8151b.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Nicadraus My setup looks like a mess, but in reality still is.. :blink: lol :lol:   I should probably get a nicer shelf and reorganize it.  I've not put much effort into my charging station since it's hidden away inside the siding mirror doors in my pretend RC shop.  I guess I will work on it this coming winter.

My dozen or so 2S LiPo are stored in the basement storage area inside a fire safe bag and fire can... so they are not pictured.

My primary charger is an old Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo for charging NiMH 2 packs at a time.  I rarely use LiPo these days so I just use this charger the most (it can charge LiPo as well).

I still have a few dozen NiCd's I made back pre-2000 (they are in the plastic containers) which still hold charge well... I use my old trusty KO Propo BX212 Advance for those.  

When I run LiPo, I usually charge using my Dynamite Prophet as I have better charging control than the Prophet Sport.  Both the KO Propo and Prophet get 12V power from the 25A power supply they sit on.  I've had this power supply since like the late 1990's and is still very durable.   

For my MiniZ's AAA's I use a Kyosho charger for those and are not pictured.

IMG_2022-9-3-140435.jpg.1b0d38bdea10cbb01b2767ca900dcdc4.jpg

IMG_2022-9-3-140452.jpg.17c20d080274b8476932d52670f8151b.jpg

Show off

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, lentner3 said:

Show off

Umm.. only if you're into old NiCd's and pretty much valueless vintage equipment..?    :blink: :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I use one like this powered by a bench power supply.

Had it for years and it's covered all my batteries for cars, drones and planes.

20220903_204129.jpg

• Like 1

Untitled.png

Polaron SMPS 1500 AC/DC Switching Power Supply

Polaron EX 1400W 8S 3" Colour and Touch TFT

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Ive got one of these;

spacer.png

Has come in handy being able to select the NIMH mode to restore some life into LIPOs that refused to take a charge

Snap! Great piece of kit for a range of uses.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Ive got one of these;

spacer.png

I had one of those for 6 weeks and it went up in flames. :ph34r:

I have two budget GT.Power chargers

qqOWMqq.jpeg

• Like 2

I have an Onyx 245 charger that will do 2 batteries at once. Not many features, but it'll do 2 or 3s lipo (with balancing) or 1-10 cells NiCd or NiMH, at a few different charge rates, which is all I need. And it's dead simple to use, which is good for me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Xeostar said:

I use one like this powered by a bench power supply.

Had it for years and it's covered all my batteries for cars, drones and planes.

20220903_204129.jpg

Wow a quad charger!

When I didn't have my D100 yet, I also used a 30A power supply with variable voltage selector to power my  Imax B6 chargers. It's been with me since 2005 and I installed a voltage meter on it (that silver thing)

L7D0VPvh.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Willy iine said:

You can literally power up your neighborhood in case of a black out in your area you know. :lol:

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

You can literally power up your neighborhood in case of a black out in your area you know. :lol:

They'll be like "Why are our lights flickering?" "Oh... Tamiya Plug." 🙄😄

• Haha 6

Basically a poor man’s version of what you already have @Nicadraus

80D3AF80-054C-4D97-A717-1DB16E7F0C4A.md.

Funny thing is with this one, while the display says the LiPo cells are equal, if I check them against my LiPo alarm they read one is 0.04v lower then the other? It’s been fine all the time I’ve had it though.

I also have an IMAX clone that my Dad gave me, but I haven’t used it since I got the S60 and started using LiPo instead of NiMH. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Basically a poor man’s version of what you already have @Nicadraus

Please don't say poor man's version. Haha! The b6 is actually cheaper than the S60 but works really great. I had my blue B6 since 2014 and gave it to my friend because I got the D100 and the Evo already. But that B6 never gave any problems and still works like new. My other friend has an Imax clone, rebranded to Gool RC and works just as the same.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, berman said:

I had one of those for 6 weeks and it went up in flames. :ph34r:

That's reassuring :lol:

Ive had it about two years and no sign of any flames yet

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Ive got one of these;

spacer.png

This one and the older silver colored version. Used them for years without problems. Both my chargers are official Skyrc versions. The illegal copies look the same but are a risk they told me.

• Like 2

Ok, pretty sure (or at least hopeful then) mines official, it was bought from Amazon direct with the foil warranty stickers and holograms etc.

I use an Abisma CTC-I Touch, can charge/discharge pretty much anything and has both AC and DC inputs.

I don't think they still make them, but was about £100 when new and has been great.

More recently Ive gotten a Spektrum S1100 Smart charger and a couple of the Lipos that match it, it's quite cool and very convenient (the Lipos have a chip in them that gives the charger all the required settings - and tracks cycle count). But it's definitely not as flexible as my old  Abisma charger

• Like 1