Nicadraus

Chargers - What's everyone using?

Whoa. Some of you own pretty fancy chargers! Nice!

Here is my Carson Expert charger.

1662745364821.jpg.6d040af8b4b065b0645f20764f41e9bb.jpg

Special attention for the word "Expert" please ;-).

It only charges NiMH at 2A but the only packs we use are 4 pieces of 3500mAh NiMH's.

We use two or three packs on saturday, I charge one pack saturday evening, we use two or three packs on sunday and then there are plenty of evenings left to charge all packs for next weekend.

Works fine until now.

• Like 2

@Raman36  lol, Rolls-Royce please.

Must of own my set for about 6 years now and still regard it as a top tier charger.  Just awesome in every way, but very costly.

It would be a shame if Graupner folded, but a lot of their stuff are just re-branded.

If you saw the SMPS in reality, it wouldn't lose cool points but gain.  Purposeful.

• Haha 2

I got my new shelf installed in my pretend RC shop’s closet.  This is how it should have looked from the first post..  :ph34r:

IMG_2022-9-10-132145.jpg.40a945f3f60ba3685f1d95a67ebc18eb.jpg

IMG_2022-9-10-132156.jpg.5cb2e500555d6e37540870ff99de4557.jpg

I’m going to replace those blue lids (right of shelf) with white this afternoon as soon as my wife is back from her lunch with her friends.   I need to borrow her labeler.  :D 

I also got rid of these old NiCd chargers.. 

IMG_2022-9-10-151852.jpg.c9da229f67206f6e097e1479643bea73.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I got my new shelf installed in my pretend RC shop’s closet.  This is how it should have looked from the first post..  :ph34r:

IMG_2022-9-10-132145.jpg.40a945f3f60ba3685f1d95a67ebc18eb.jpg

IMG_2022-9-10-132156.jpg.5cb2e500555d6e37540870ff99de4557.jpg

I’m going to replace those blue lids (right of shelf) with white this afternoon as soon as my wife is back from her lunch with her friends.   I need to borrow her labeler.  :D 

So you upgraded to supplying power from neighborhood to county. :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

So you upgraded to supplying power from neighborhood to county. :lol:

Just pretending to seem more serious.. but same ol’ silly me.  B)

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2022 at 1:14 PM, M 800STD said:

@Raman36  lol, Rolls-Royce please.

Must of own my set for about 6 years now and still regard it as a top tier charger.  Just awesome in every way, but very costly.

It would be a shame if Graupner folded, but a lot of their stuff are just re-branded.

If you saw the SMPS in reality, it wouldn't lose cool points but gain.  Purposeful.

I managed to get the Wi-Fi module from Korea back in April. It’s pretty cool has really good range.. my charger is in the garage and I can monitor it from upstairs.

I never got a chance to buy the carry case. 😕

Junsi iChargers are the most common at tracks but they lack the friendly user interface. 

I use an ISDT Q8. 1000 watts of battery bursting horsepower!

It’s been really great, although it requires a big power supply to get everything it has to offer. The 2 amp balancer reduces charge times and let’s me correct badly imbalanced packs for my friends (for some reason, mine stay properly balanced). Easy user interface, XT60 in and out, tiny physical size, and relatively inexpensive. I’d recommend it over anything else I’ve tried, including Junsi.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Big Jon said:

I use an ISDT Q8. 1000 watts of battery bursting horsepower!

It’s been really great, although it requires a big power supply to get everything it has to offer. The 2 amp balancer reduces charge times and let’s me correct badly imbalanced packs for my friends (for some reason, mine stay properly balanced). Easy user interface, XT60 in and out, tiny physical size, and relatively inexpensive. I’d recommend it over anything else I’ve tried, including Junsi.

Is that a discontinued model or something? I cant see it for sale amywhere...not that I need a new charger. There is a 8Air which looks good but its 500w and you say yours is 1000w.

On topic of the original question, my main charger is the HTRC C240 which is a dual charger and does everything I need. I have a separate DC power supply to charge 4S batteries (that was a drama, could barely charge it between races) but the built in 150w power supply is enough for 2S batteries. The 4S needs about 100w and the built in power supply only gives 75w per channel. Still, a fantastic charger for the price, it was about NZD90 from memory, and the power supply was about NZD50 which I dont use often.

I also have an old Hyperion and SkyRC S60, both are 60w single chargers. They work fine for 2S lipo and 6S NiMH. These come out on 10th scale race days, or when we have a lot of people over. 

If I knew what I know now, I would have bought the SkyRC Q200 quad and been done with it

@Raman36  Was thinking about the BT module, but always with charger when in use so never bothered.

Is it only a monitoring device or can you execute functions?

If anyone cares, the App and BT on my Passport P2 works only within BT range.  but as @M 800STD said, I too do not stray far from my charger while charging.  

The App can save charge settings and start/stop from my iPhone so it is super convenient!  

2 hours ago, M 800STD said:

@Raman36  Was thinking about the BT module, but always with charger when in use so never bothered.

Is it only a monitoring device or can you execute functions?

It takes full control of the charger. 

On 9/13/2022 at 9:26 PM, Raman36 said:

It takes full control of the charger. 

So your charger runs off BLE?   I thought that protocol was more for passive stuff like monitoring.  Very cool.

I have a hygrometer/thermometer in my garage with BLE and I can get readings anywhere within the house on my iPhone unlike BT..

@Raman36  As @Willy iine said, very cool.

Looks like I'll have to see if I can get one of those modules.

One thing I would like to point out with regards to chargers capabilities.  Some chargers are really bad at balancing cells, so just be conscious of this when investing in a new charger.