Sign in to follow this  
smirk-racing

XV-02 Motor selection, set-up tips?

Hi All,

What motors are you using in your XV-02s? I have a castle 1406 5700kv in mine. Top speed is great but I'm find the set-up to be too powerful (using the recommended 2s lipo). I'll dial this back in the ESC but wanted to know what you all were using.

I'm also finding the chassis a bit twitchy - if it gets unsettled or if I turn to correct if often whips around. Any thoughts on tuning this out?

I’m running 15.5T tamiya tblm-02s. 

Geared properly it’s more than enough for rally use. It’s around the 2800kv mark at 0 timing but adding timing increases that quite a bit, I run around the 6.5-7 gear ratio wise. (26-28t pinion on the xv-02) if you advance the timing further than the stock adjustability (using the esc timing adjustability if you have it) then you’d need to start gearing a bit higher if things are getting hot. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Juls1. I am using the 19t pinion, so if I take out the difference in pinions, you're at the ~4000kv mark compared to me, and if you're adding timing, then you might be getting close to 5000kv. I think I'll dial down the top speed and also dial down the torque. Between the two the vehicle should become easier to control.

Thanks!

I am running a Hobbywing 13.5T with 27T pinion. Plenty of power for rally (maybe a little too much) and nice enough on the track.

Steering on the XV02 is very good but this isn't necessarily a good thing when it comes to rally as you can easily over due it. Takes some practice to get use to the amount of inputs

On 9/5/2022 at 3:25 PM, Juls1 said:

I’m running 15.5T tamiya tblm-02s. 

Geared properly it’s more than enough for rally use. It’s around the 2800kv mark at 0 timing but adding timing increases that quite a bit, I run around the 6.5-7 gear ratio wise. (26-28t pinion on the xv-02) if you advance the timing further than the stock adjustability (using the esc timing adjustability if you have it) then you’d need to start gearing a bit higher if things are getting hot. 

So, in brushed terms around 20-22,000rpm would be about right then? 

Well, 2800kv on 2s is nominally 23,500 rpm, but sounds like @Juls1 is also using timing and a bigger pinion than stock. So, 20k rpm would be on the low side compared to his set-up.

What kind of top speeds are people gearing for on pavement (just as a reference)?