wilysloth

XV-01 part NN4

It seems to be recommended whilst building the XV-01 to replace the NN4 part in step 2 with an alloy version (to protect the BG1 gear).

• Does anyone have a suggestion where I might buy an alloy replacement? I have seen the SSD00151 part suggested but cannot find it or an equivalent in the UK.
  • Are the dimensions of the stock NN4 part: OD 7.2mm, ID 4mm, thickness 1.5mm?

If I fail to find one, how might continuing to use the stock NN4 part but with added M4 alloy shims on either side fare?

@wilysloth I haven't built mine yet, but when I do I have these Eagle Racing parts to replace the NN4 spacers

spacer.png

Might be worth seeing if you can track some down?

• Like 2

The kit part is perfectly fine. I've been running (Bashing) my XV01 with a 10.5 brushless (No boost). Since it was available and the gearbox is still perfect. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, qatmix said:

The kit part is perfectly fine. I've been running (Bashing) my XV01 with a 10.5 brushless (No boost). Since it was available and the gearbox is still perfect. 

I’ve got to disagree. I had a failure years ago, and replaced the spacer with the SSD spacer; have not had a failure since. Many of the XV-01s in our club have had the same issue with heavy use. An aluminum spacer solves the problem permanently.

The SSD spacer doesn’t show as discontinued, but hasn’t been available in a while, so finding a correct spacer has been difficult.

• Like 3

On 9/5/2022 at 11:13 AM, qatmix said:

I’ve got to disagree. I had a failure years ago, and replaced the spacer with the SSD spacer; have not had a failure since. Many of the XV-01s in our club have had the same issue with heavy use. An aluminum spacer solves the problem permanently.

The SSD spacer doesn’t show as discontinued, but hasn’t been available in a while, so finding a correct spacer has been difficult.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Agreed! Almost every XV-01 owner has had this issue even on the FB page. The stock plastic spacer causes the pin to eat up the gear. The aluminum spacer (and some shims) solves the issue. 

• Like 4

The black Eagle Racing spacers seem to still be available in a couple of places 👍

On 9/5/2022 at 8:30 AM, wilysloth said:

Are the dimensions of the stock NN4 part: OD 7.2mm, ID 4mm, thickness 1.5mm?

No. The stock part measures 6x4x2mm (OD, ID, thickness).

1789474950_ScreenShot2022-09-14at9_13_22PM.thumb.png.4a8fbc7b1c0d29fa14850cc4b96612c8.png

2 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

No. The stock part measures 6x4x2mm (OD, ID, thickness).

1789474950_ScreenShot2022-09-14at9_13_22PM.thumb.png.4a8fbc7b1c0d29fa14850cc4b96612c8.png

Thank you @smirk-racing I just need to find somewhere that stocks the Eagle Racing part that will ship to the UK now.

9 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

Funny story on this, got up at 4am this morning and couldn’t sleep.  I ended up seeing this post and going on a hunt myself.  Found Servo City here in the US and put the order in then.  Will see how it goes but already got a shipping notice and tracking number so at least they move quick.

23 hours ago, wilysloth said:

Postage still not ideal but ended up ordering the Eagle Racing part from here. Thanks @Juhunio

Received an email this morning, unfortunately they no longer ship to the UK via airmail so an extra $22.50 is required on top of the original postage. Which for a $2.24 part is just too much. Order has been cancelled. Argh!

The hunt goes on.

• Sad 1

My LHS has a lot of rc boat builders as customers and so stock a wide variety of round bars, square bars, and also tubes in various materials and sizes. I presume you can saw of a 2mm part of a 6mm outer and 4mm inner diameter tube. Must be cheaper than those rates for postage :D

On 9/16/2022 at 10:09 AM, wilysloth said:

Received an email this morning, unfortunately they no longer ship to the UK via airmail so an extra $22.50 is required on top of the original postage. Which for a $2.24 part is just too much. Order has been cancelled. Argh!

The hunt goes on.

That’s frustrating, can you find a few other items at Kleinkram to justify the shipping of the Square RC parts? 

ebay part number 284555643404 looks like it would work (m4 x 6 x 1mm spacers), pack of 10 for £3.49 posted, or 25 for less than a fiver

Sorry for a post in a bit old topic. Will it not be enough to just fit thin metal spacer between NN4 and pin?

I am sure that I will not be able to find alu replacement in my area.

1 hour ago, skom25 said:

Sorry for a post in a bit old topic. Will it not be enough to just fit thin metal spacer between NN4 and pin?

I am sure that I will not be able to find alu replacement in my area.

That's what I did when i built mine a couple of years ago, there's a YouTube video somewhere that suggests this which is why I did it.  I can't really comment how well it works as mine hase only been used about 10 times and only has the kit motor but no problems so far. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 3:26 PM, wilysloth said:

So have taken a punt on this part from ebay and will report back if it arrives. With any luck it will be suitable.

For completeness, the part above was bang on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 8:02 AM, smirk-racing said:

McMaster Carr also has spacers:

https://www.mcmaster.com/aluminum-spacers/aluminum-unthreaded-spacers/system-of-measurement~metric/

And there are cheaper ones (also easier to order!) here for folks in the US:

https://www.gobilda.com/1502-series-4mm-id-spacer-6mm-od-2mm-length-4-pack/

Ordered some from gobilda!

Yesterday, when I was looking for other small parts, I stumbled across these metal spacers. I think it's just the right part as a replacement for NN4. 

https://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index.php?firma=Tamiya&best=2750106

When I built my XV01 I just shimmed NN4 like it was already mentioned by someone else, and haven't had any issues with it. 

But since this is an original Tamiya part, it might be interesting for those of you who like to use original parts only. However, I don't know if they also ship abroad.

• Like 1