Kno22

Sand Rover 1981

Hi Forum

thanks for admitting me.

this buggy is mine from new and went back in its box in a very sorry straight in the mid ‘80s.   Everything is dirty and worn, the chassis is cracked where the front suspension struts attach, front wheels wobble.    However it all works after a fashion.   The battery is shot or maybe it’s the speed controller but the car can crawl backwards and forwards. Mind you the speed controller was never subtle. Back tyres are bald.  

If I can be fairly certain of getting a battery, speed controller, gear set replacements and any other consumables I would like to have a go at refurbishing it.  There’s no rush though.

the driver needs a paint job, he was always ‘gloss’ but I like the body paint how it is.   Dusty looking, maybe just touch up where there are white plastic showing through the chips.

any way here are some pics

i need to read through some build threads I think and get used to the jargon, where to source parts etc.

A9AD45A3-180F-4A9C-8608-8E4EBE7357C9.jpeg

AB28E165-04C1-4CFF-A17D-083E1B85A4B2.jpeg

• Like 7

Nice!  That car can be fully restored if you're into that kind of work.   @KEV THE REV has all sorts of tricks.  :D 

GL with your project whatever you decide.

Thanks Willy iine.    I think I need to start somewhere.    I probably have a battery or speed controller problem.    The easiest to test is battery probably.    Is KEVE THE REV the person to start with.   I did have a look on online for a like for like replacement.   I noticed there is a possibility of upgrading to more cells as well.   

2 hours ago, Kno22 said:

Thanks Willy iine.    I think I need to start somewhere.    I probably have a battery or speed controller problem.    The easiest to test is battery probably.    Is KEVE THE REV the person to start with.   I did have a look on online for a like for like replacement.   I noticed there is a possibility of upgrading to more cells as well.   

Hey there Kno22.   KEV THE REV has the sister car, Holiday Buggy, but I think it is very resourceful to see how he restored his car.   

If your battery is fresh and motor does not run, it could be a solder that came undone on your speed controller or your motor is shot.  If you have another motor might be good to bench test the alternate motor off the car.  

You have a classic there.
I recently restored one to running condition. It was a light restoration - I didn't clean the 'patina' off the body, but the chassis had a good scrub and clean. My biggest problem was a broken gear tooth, it took a while to source a replacement but I finally got one after lurking on Ebay for acouple of months.
I bought new tires - they are the Rough Rider ones for the rear but orginal Sand Rover for the fronts. The old tires were hard and crumbly.
I'm using the orginal speed controller (mechanical) and a 7.2V hump-pack which I found on Ebay.
The front suspension mounts were cracked and broken, so I made new mounts out of aluminium plate. 
The last thing I replaced was the front bumper - I foolishly lifted the car by the front bumper and the orignal one just snapped! Fortunately I was able to get a new bumper to replace it.

Whateverr you do, a car of this age will never stand the abuse of a modern car. Have fun restoring it and drive it gently!

See my restoration progress at:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=134591&id=53483

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=134600&id=53483

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=134649&id=53483