Dakratfink

Authentic vs Just Cool

As I stated in another thread, I had a Hi Rider Vette as a kid back in the day. 
recently I’ve come across a listing for what appears to be a Double Dare with a Hi Rider body for a really good price . 
I know with the dual motor 4wd it would be a different experience than the one I had 30 some years ago, but untimely it’s still a cool looking c4 Vetter body with a big blower sticking out of the hood.

So, shall I pull the trigger assuming I can get it for a good price ? 
it appears to have a modern transmitter and a deans t plug sticking out, so I’m assuming it has been a runner.

Anything I should look out for if I get one ? 

Worth a shot if originality isn't important. The gearbox assemblies are the same. The Hi Rider Vette just has a dummy "bulkhead" case in place of the front gearbox of the Double Dare. The two chassis look similar but are slightly different. Kyosho altered the front attachment point's spacing on the chassis to accept the rear gearbox flipped around for use as a front gearbox. If it is a DD, it will also have 4WS, although this can be blocked off if you just want 2WS.

Another scenario is you could just remove the front motor/gears/axle parts and run it as 2WD like the original Vette. In this case, you'd have a spare set of drivetrain parts if need be. The only thing to keep in mind is front caster angle/kick-up. Being 2WD, the Vette's front bulkhead had some kick-up built into it. The rear driven gearbox obviously did not and hence, neither does the DD since its just using a rear 'box turned around, up front. Kinda like Tamiya's later WT01/WR01. For big bouncy monster truck, this might not really be an issue. 

Aside from other issues that have been discussed in the past, check the condition of the tires. They are a unique size and were very soft. Watch for cracking, flat spotting and general disintegration.

• Like 1