wilysloth

XV-01 spur gear and pinion choices

I have a spare Tamiya 10.5t motor (54611) that I would like to install in an XV-01.

Tamiya's guideline for using this motor on a buggy is that the final gear ratio should lie somewhere between 8.9 and 11.7. I assume 8.9 would be suitable for a lightweight 2WD buggy and 11.7 suitable for heavier 4WD buggy. For the XV-01, somewhere in the middle would seem appropriate perhaps edging closer to 11 to keep the temperatures down. Regardless, I would like scope to adjust up and down to find a ratio that works for me.

The XV-01 supports pinions from 21T (8.42) to 29T (6.10), ratios outside the recommended range for the Tamiya 10.5t motor with the standard 68T spur gear.

So ideally I would like to replace the spur gear with a 102T variant such that the “middle” XV-01 pinion 25T gives a final ratio (10.6) close to the middle of the motor's recommended range.

To this end, can I use this Tamiya (54227) FF03 04 Module 102T Spur Gear and this Tamiya (53103) 0.4 Steel Pinion in the XV-01? Perhaps using the Tamiya (54234) FF03 Aluminium Spur Gear Mount.

And finally, is my reasoning sound?

As always, start on the lower end (bigger number), monitor the temperature and work your way up. There is no real right or wrong answer. On my very first brushless, I started at the safest end and finished beyond the highest recommended as it still ran cool at the top gearing so I went over. But this, of course, depends on your driving surface, etc... 

Yes, that spur set is listed as suitable but I believe (although I don't own a VX) you can use any spur gears as long as the holes line up. Double check on this as I once cross threaded the equivalent of JJ11 on mine by screwing in the wrong style of spur and had to get a replacement piece. 

You can go for the faster ratio - XV01 has smaller wheels than buggy, effectively reducing speed and load.

If you intend to drive on dirt, I would recommend gears with larger teeth, 48p or m0.6. XV uses standard gear mount, so any spur that supports four hole mounts will fit.

I have replaced the spur (77t) and pinion (26t) to true 48p. Feels and sounds smoother than the stock ones.

lV3Ybx6h.jpg

MyBj6u5h.jpg

On 9/13/2022 at 8:28 PM, Honza said:

You can go for the faster ratio - XV01 has smaller wheels than buggy, effectively reducing speed and load.

If you intend to drive on dirt, I would recommend gears with larger teeth, 48p or m0.6. XV uses standard gear mount, so any spur that supports four hole mounts will fit.

I hadn't considered the smaller wheels - thank you.

My plan is to follow @alvinlwh 's advice and start conservatively and then gear up. I'm pleased to hear that the Tamiya (54227) FF03 04 Module 102T Spur Gear and Tamiya (53103) 0.4 Steel Pinion will fit in the XV-01 and they are both inexpensive so will probably start there even if I end up back with the stock spur and pinion. Hoping to avoid an ESC fan if possible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Honza said:

There's fake 48p?

There actually are. Some 0.6mod are listed as 48dp (or the other way round). 

9 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I heard about that, but that's not fake 48dp, that's just wrong. If anything could be called fake 48p, it's m0.5, which Tamiya for some reason used on DF03, but 0.6 is more like 42dp - I think that Traxxas sometimes lists its pinions like that.

2 hours ago, Honza said:

I heard about that, but that's not fake 48dp, that's just wrong. If anything could be called fake 48p, it's m0.5, which Tamiya for some reason used on DF03, but 0.6 is more like 42dp - I think that Traxxas sometimes lists its pinions like that.

So there's the answer to your question.

On 9/15/2022 at 7:14 AM, alvinlwh said:

Mod 0.6 is sometimes referred to as metric 48p. This is what they’re referring to as fake 48p, because they’re not compatible with 48p. 

Im taking a risk by writing this year as some TC memeber will surely have a meltdown that I wrote metric 48. 🤣