bRIBEGuy

JG Manufacturing HotShot Skid Plate...

So I picked up a box of random HotShot parts a while ago, and while going thru it last night I found this little gem:

LZCMJUv.jpg
Qmtourd.jpg
ulAq5ry.jpg

Now, while I can clearly see that this is a "john gudvangen Manufacturing THS-08 Hot Shot Rear Skid Plate"... that doesn't really mean all that much to me (yes, I know what a "Hot Shot" and a "Rear Skid Plate" are... :lol:).  I'm "lightly familiar with some of the JG Manufacturing hop ups from the 80's, but while the front bumpers, nerf wings, and roof are pretty easy to find info on, I can't really find anything on this skid plate info wise.

Anyone have any knowledge of this part?

• Like 1

Interesting that it is labelled 'prototype'. You might have the only one, or one of very few...

15 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

Interesting that it is labelled 'prototype'. You might have the only one, or one of very few...

I wondered about that, but figured I'd fish it out to the TamiyaClub experts and see if anyone knew for sure.

Of course, now the other question is what do I do with the thing?

Open up the package and try mounting it up to a HotShot?

Keep it in the package and have some mystery skid proto NIB?  :lol:

Sell it?

Hmmmm........

21 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Of course, now the other question is what do I do with the thing?

Open up the package and try mounting it up to a HotShot?

Keep it in the package and have some mystery skid proto NIB?  :lol:

Sell it?

Hmmmm........

Buy a Hotshot.

Fit the skid.

Begin accumulating vintage hop ups.

Load up the Hotshot.

Buy other chassis to fit the hop-ups that you’ve accumulated that don’t work on a Hotshot.

Hoard up more hop-ups.

It’s the circle of life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Buy a Hotshot.

Fit the skid.

Begin accumulating vintage hop ups.

Load up the Hotshot.

Buy other chassis to fit the hop-ups that you’ve accumulated that don’t work on a Hotshot.

Hoard up more hop-ups.

It’s the circle of life.

Or go full circle and have a Hotshot full of JG hopups, another with CRP hopups  etc etc lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2022 at 4:35 PM, bRIBEGuy said:

Keep it in the package and have some mystery skid proto NIB?

Everyone will have different opinions of course, but this is what I would do. I couldn't bring myself to open possibly the only one (left?) in existence. I think it's ok to have "shelfer" parts as well as whole cars. I don't use my old Futaba Tx or Tamiya NiCds anymore, but nonetheless they still hold places of esteem on the shelf with the cars.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, El Gecko said:

I couldn't bring myself to open possibly the only one (left?) in existence. I think it's ok to have "shelfer" parts as well as whole cars.

I feel exactly the same. Glad I wasn't the only one ;).

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2022 at 10:40 PM, El Gecko said:

Everyone will have different opinions of course, but this is what I would do. I couldn't bring myself to open possibly the only one (left?) in existence. I think it's ok to have "shelfer" parts as well as whole cars. I don't use my old Futaba Tx or Tamiya NiCds anymore, but nonetheless they still hold places of esteem on the shelf with the cars.

On 9/17/2022 at 8:05 AM, Saito2 said:

I feel exactly the same. Glad I wasn't the only one ;).

Hmmm..... interesting.

I 100% agree..... conceptually.... but for me personally, I just don't get much joy out of the "parts".  I LOVE the cars, but most of the peripherals don't do much for me from a collection perspective.  I think I'll ponder this one for a bit still, as I do have some upcoming HotShot projects... but my guess is that this may just hit the "For Sale" section at some point in hopes of it ending up with someone who would appreciate it more than I.

2 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Hmmm..... interesting.

I 100% agree..... conceptually.... but for me personally, I just don't get much joy out of the "parts".  I LOVE the cars, but most of the peripherals don't do much for me from a collection perspective.  I think I'll ponder this one for a bit still, as I do have some upcoming HotShot projects... but my guess is that this may just hit the "For Sale" section at some point in hopes of it ending up with someone who would appreciate it more than I.

Honestly I would be in the same boat, since the Hotshot was never on my radar personally. But even if I don't own that particular car, I tend to respect that the part has managed to live its whole life (nearly 40 years now!) still in its original packaging, which is especially rare for something that old and unique. So I would most likely keep it around, in the package, maybe not on the shelf but definitely stored away safely, until I found someone who did appreciate it even more than me. It's not like it's a big part that takes up a ton of space, so it's hard to see the need to just sell it off to the highest bidder.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, in my experience this is one of the more rare JG hop-ups. I bought one in a JG parts lot about 5 years ago, and the differences from yours are superficial:

• The packaging is the same, but not marked as "prototype"
  • The pack contains a small "JG" sticker

I will eventually get around to fitting it, so maybe at that point yours will be the only remaining NIP! :D

• Like 1

IMO, donate/sell it to the guys at Factory Works and have them re-pro the part. They’ve done a bunch of Blackfoot stuff.  This way, more Hot Shot folks can enjoy the vintage goodness…