Sign in to follow this  
Cuiken

TA03F Torque Splitter Installation

So, I got all excited about my TA03F and bought a torque splitter. It came with the instructions below which I can't make head nor tail of (mainly because of the comment on the white sticker):

YDC2dVw.png

My understanding of the part was that it should overdrive the rear axle so giving a rear wheel drive handling characteristic until wheelspin occurs whereby the front wheels will come into play.

This would suggest (to me) the one way going on the front gearbox and the larger of the two pulleys also going on the front (so that the smaller pulley on the back causes the rear wheels to spin faster.

My confusion stems from two points:

1. The sticker says to replace the stock counter sfat on the rear. The diagram below suggests replacing the counter shaft on the front.

2. The diagram suggests putting the 15T pulley on the front and the 17T pulley on the rear. This would overdrive the front wheels no?

Like I say, bit confused. Anyone got any thoughts?

@GermanTA03Guy, I know you've installed one of these. Do the instructions make sense to you?

Ta.

2 hours ago, Cuiken said:

This would suggest (to me) the one way going on the front gearbox and the larger of the two pulleys also going on the front (so that the smaller pulley on the back causes the rear wheels to spin faster.

That is absolutely correct in my World. 

And that is exactly like my car drives. 

See the absolutely massive 4 wheel drift, but with more opposite lock needed than with regular 4wd (this is what the 15t in the rear causes, oversteer on power). It feels a lot more like an rwd drift than the Common 4wd drift on loose surfaces with straight front wheels.

And These slides are induced with the slightest lift of throttle or dab of the Brake, really like with a handbrake only. This is what the one way causes - i have the one way in the front. So Oversteer off power as well .

Screenshot_20220109-225711.thumb.jpg.95a2b6df3b16d00c4aec7d2c544f1b78.jpg

This is great fun, but, yes its difficult.. oversteer off power, followed by oversteer on power results in VERY tail-happy. Absolute Hoonigan tool.

And 

My products all had the same sticker. Below the sticker it says the opposite :D

I strongly think that the sticker was put there quickly after market introduction as they saw that for the masses or for beginners or kids without 30+ years of experience in oversteer it's just too Hard to drive like that. 

As you say, if you put it the other way, 15t in the front and one way in the back, it must be way more forgiving to drive for the beginner (understeer on power, understeer off power), maybe even quicker on a lap for most. but way less fun for the connaisseur. 

In the end, you can put both elements where you want to Influence the  driving characteristics to your liking. Everything should work. What makes sense for your Application is ultimately up to you.

14 minutes ago, GermanTA03Guy said:

That is absolutely correct in my World. 

And that is exactly like my car drives. 

See the absolutely massive 4 wheel drift, but with more opposite lock needed than with regular 4wd (this is what the 15t in the rear causes, oversteer on power). It feels a lot more like an rwd drift than the Common 4wd drift on loose surfaces with straight front wheels.

And These slides are induced with the slightest lift of throttle or dab of the Brake, really like with a handbrake only. This is what the one way causes - i have the one way in the front. So Oversteer off power as well .

Screenshot_20220109-225711.thumb.jpg.95a2b6df3b16d00c4aec7d2c544f1b78.jpg

This is great fun, but, yes its difficult.. oversteer off power, followed by oversteer on power results in VERY tail-happy. Absolute Hoonigan tool.

And 

My products all had the same sticker. Below the sticker it says the opposite :D

I strongly think that the sticker was put there quickly after market introduction as they saw that for the masses or for beginners or kids without 30+ years of experience in oversteer it's just too Hard to drive like that. 

As you say, if you put it the other way, 15t in the front and one way in the back, it must be way more forgiving to drive for the beginner (understeer on power, understeer off power), maybe even quicker on a lap for most. but way less fun for the connaisseur. 

In the end, you can put both elements where you want to Influence the  driving characteristics to your liking. Everything should work. What makes sense for your Application is ultimately up to you.

Dude! Thanks for the detailed response. I'm clearly going to kick off with the oversteer option. Looking forward to the frost now :) 

I'll probably try it out with a front wheel drive bias at some point too. Nice to have something to tinker with and it's delightfully simple to swap it around.

Thanks again for the tip on the TA03F BTW. I'm already enjoying just working on the one I picked up.

• Like 1